Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby whythelongface » March 27th, 2018, 7:59 pm

They usually give you really cheap specimens that almost always look like this:
Or this:
I'm a violinist, so I think it looks like if you took a hammer to a piece of dark rosin. Of course, quality invites or picture based tests may give you better specimens/pictures, in which case the tetrahedral crystals will be a big giveaway. It's almost always dark brown, with the metallic luster increasing as the iron content increases, but sometimes it's not. For me, it's just gut intuition.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South for winning 14th place at Nationals!

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Postby kate! » March 30th, 2018, 12:00 pm

I don't really understand this diagram, can someone explain it? The only part I get is that it's the classification of feldspar minerals. Image
Last edited by kate! on April 1st, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

fabishkf
State: WI

Postby fabishkf » April 1st, 2018, 7:53 am

can't see image but I think I know what diagram you're referring to, I think you're talking about the one showing the plagioclase and alkali feldspar solid solution series right?
Hamilton Middle School '17
Madison West High School '21
National tournaments: 2016 Stout, 2017 Wright State division B, 2018 CSU, 2019 Cornell division C
2019 SONT at Cornell: 2nd Geologic Mapping, 6th Fossils

kate!

Postby kate! » April 1st, 2018, 1:57 pm

can't see image but I think I know what diagram you're referring to, I think you're talking about the one showing the plagioclase and alkali feldspar solid solution series right?
Yeah sorry idk why the image isn't showing up, I put the img tag, but it is the one from geology.com
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

mynameisbob

Postby mynameisbob » April 4th, 2018, 7:06 am

This is my first time going to State. I am studying rocks and my partner is studying the minerals. What should I concentrate in knowing about the rocks? Properties (color, texture, characteristics), classification, environment of formation, extrusive/intrusive, type of rock, parent rock?, uses.

Anything I'm forgetting? I read on other posts that I shouldn't worry about hardness or specific gravity? There was one question on specific gravity on the regionals but it was a calculation question.

What about specific definitions? or charts like the rock cycle or Bowie's reaction series chart?

Thanks!!
Bob

drcubbin
Division: B

Postby drcubbin » April 4th, 2018, 7:19 am

This is my first time going to State. I am studying rocks and my partner is studying the minerals. What should I concentrate in knowing about the rocks? Properties (color, texture, characteristics), classification, environment of formation, extrusive/intrusive, type of rock, parent rock?, uses.

Anything I'm forgetting? I read on other posts that I shouldn't worry about hardness or specific gravity? There was one question on specific gravity on the regionals but it was a calculation question.

What about specific definitions? or charts like the rock cycle or Bowie's reaction series chart?

Thanks!!
Bob
Are you referring to David Bowie's Reaction Series from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust album, or the N.L. Bowen Reaction Series? :)

kate!

Postby kate! » April 4th, 2018, 7:32 am

Thanks!!
Bob
For rocks specifically, make sure you know the charts from the Earth Science Reference Table. They are extremely helpful during tests. Try to add a glossary to your binder of terms you may not know, just in case they come up. Other charts are good too, especially Bowen's Reaction Series. Also, when identifying metamorphic rocks, make sure you have the grade of metamorphism.

wzhang5460
Division: B

Postby wzhang5460 » April 4th, 2018, 7:46 am

I agree with Kate, I got first place regionals following her advice. I'm quite an experienced Rocks and Minerals competitor.
PJ Gelinas Jr High Captain
National Medals
Wind Power 2017: 5th
National Honorable Mentions
Mystery Arch. 2018: 7th
Exp. Design 2017, 2018: 10th
Towers 2018: 10th

Circuit Lab NY State Champion

kate!

Postby kate! » April 4th, 2018, 8:19 am

I agree with Kate, I got first place regionals following her advice. I'm quite an experienced Rocks and Minerals competitor.
PSA: This guy did not ask for my advice, nor has he competed in Rocks and Minerals more than once. He was a stand-in at regionals and got a free medal. Check his signature.

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Postby whythelongface » April 4th, 2018, 3:12 pm

PSA: This guy did not ask for my advice, nor has he competed in Rocks and Minerals more than once. He was a stand-in at regionals and got a free medal. Check his signature.
Ah, but did this guy carry, or was he carried?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South for winning 14th place at Nationals!

Return to “2018 Study Events”