Rocks & Minerals B/C

808rain
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by 808rain »

Question: In previous years I hear you were allowed to bring one published Rocks and Minerals field guide (tabbed and written in) AND one binder. This year the rules read: Each team may bring one magnifying glass and one three-ring binder of any size containing information in any form and from any source attached using the available rings; which may be removed during the event.

Can we bring a field guide and a binder or just a binder? If just a binder, can we tear apart a field guide and stick it in the binder too???
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

808rain wrote:Question: In previous years I hear you were allowed to bring one published Rocks and Minerals field guide (tabbed and written in) AND one binder. This year the rules read: Each team may bring one magnifying glass and one three-ring binder of any size containing information in any form and from any source attached using the available rings; which may be removed during the event.

Can we bring a field guide and a binder or just a binder? If just a binder, can we tear apart a field guide and stick it in the binder too???
I'm pretty sure you can only bring a binder with the pages of the field guide, not the actual book itself.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dxu46 wrote:
808rain wrote:Question: In previous years I hear you were allowed to bring one published Rocks and Minerals field guide (tabbed and written in) AND one binder. This year the rules read: Each team may bring one magnifying glass and one three-ring binder of any size containing information in any form and from any source attached using the available rings; which may be removed during the event.

I'm pretty sure you can only bring a binder with the pages of the field guide, not the actual book itself.
Field guides have been generally phased out over the last several years. Rocks and Minerals no longer allows one, and Herpetology allows either a binder or a field guide.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

You can't bring field guides anymore, but yeah you could just buy one and rip it apart, hole punch it, and put it in your binder, if you want.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Hello, for B division , I was wondering if my partner and I should put all of the quartz group minerals on the same page? Because they have mostly all of the same information.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

I would definitely have pictures for each, but yeah you could put all the information in one place.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Also, in the rocks section of the binder, should we include density and hardness of the rocks?
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

kate! wrote:Also, in the rocks section of the binder, should we include density and hardness of the rocks?
I wouldn't, because it all depends on the minerals inside the rock. Just know that pumice floats, diatomite is soft and light, and be done with it.
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

kate! wrote:Also, in the rocks section of the binder, should we include density and hardness of the rocks?
Rocks don't really have a hardness. The minerals that compose them typically have several different hardnesses and therefore, depending on where on the rock you test, the hardness changes. Density of rocks typically isn't asked because it can vary quite a bit as well.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
blobfishburrito
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by blobfishburrito »

yay, 100th message i think.

Hi all, its muffins, me and my partner are first-timers at r&m and we need some tips for studying in a time crunch and especially tips for the binder. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks! :))

Return to “2018 Study Events”