Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by dxu46 »

Kyanite wrote:
orangewhale wrote:Does anyone have tips on identifying chalcopyrite vs bornite? I always get them mixed up
For me Chalcopyrite is gold all around while most Bornite specimens I have seen have blue or purple on small sections of the rock.
The blue and purple on bornite is the result of acid treating and is usually done to distinguish the specimens (at least that's what an ES told us)
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

dxu46 wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
orangewhale wrote:Does anyone have tips on identifying chalcopyrite vs bornite? I always get them mixed up
For me Chalcopyrite is gold all around while most Bornite specimens I have seen have blue or purple on small sections of the rock.
The blue and purple on bornite is the result of acid treating and is usually done to distinguish the specimens (at least that's what an ES told us)
That ES is mostly wrong... Chalcopyrite is called peacock copper ore as well as bornite because when the chalcopyrite is acid treated then it turns a bunch of pretty colors like bornite.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
That ES is mostly wrong... Chalcopyrite is called peacock copper ore as well as bornite because when the chalcopyrite is acid treated then it turns a bunch of pretty colors like bornite.
https://csmsgeologypost.blogspot.com/20 ... yrite.html Heres a good website on the process of it all if anyone is curious.
akhaire1

Post by akhaire1 »

Are we allowed to get pictures of rocks and minerals in the binder? Also how do we find streak color or do an acid test if they do not give us knife/glass to scratch or HCL to do the acid test?
How do you identify the rocks and minerals just by looking at them since they come in several varieties and colors?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

akhaire1 wrote:Are we allowed to get pictures of rocks and minerals in the binder? Also how do we find streak color or do an acid test if they do not give us knife/glass to scratch or HCL to do the acid test?
How do you identify the rocks and minerals just by looking at them since they come in several varieties and colors?
You are most definitely allowed to have pics in your binder. As for streak/acid, tests that require that will usually provide what will happen (e.g. This mineral (Hematite) has a red streak, and this mineral (Azurite) reacts with HCl.)
akhaire1

Post by akhaire1 »

Thank you! Is there any table available with properties of rocks/minerals or chart with pics that can be printed out?
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

akhaire1 wrote:Thank you! Is there any table available with properties of rocks/minerals or chart with pics that can be printed out?
There is a chart on the wiki, but I believe it is incomplete. It is probably best to make your own.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

akhaire1 wrote:Thank you! Is there any table available with properties of rocks/minerals or chart with pics that can be printed out?
I don't recommend a table. I recommend a page for each mineral with all of the properties written down.
akhaire1

Post by akhaire1 »

Wouldn't it be harder to turn to each page for each rock/mineral than to look at the table?
Just wondering.
akhaire1

Post by akhaire1 »

Also, how much time approximately do we get at each station? I'm worried I will not have enough time to identify the rock/mineral and answer the questions.
Thanks for all the help.

Return to “2018 Study Events”