Rocks & Minerals B/C

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by drcubbin »

mynameisbob wrote:This is my first time going to State. I am studying rocks and my partner is studying the minerals. What should I concentrate in knowing about the rocks? Properties (color, texture, characteristics), classification, environment of formation, extrusive/intrusive, type of rock, parent rock?, uses.

Anything I'm forgetting? I read on other posts that I shouldn't worry about hardness or specific gravity? There was one question on specific gravity on the regionals but it was a calculation question.

What about specific definitions? or charts like the rock cycle or Bowie's reaction series chart?

Thanks!!
Bob
Are you referring to David Bowie's Reaction Series from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust album, or the N.L. Bowen Reaction Series? :)
kate!
Division: C

Post by kate! »

mynameisbob wrote:This is my first time going to State. I am studying rocks and my partner is studying the minerals. What should I concentrate in knowing about the rocks? Properties (color, texture, characteristics), classification, environment of formation, extrusive/intrusive, type of rock, parent rock?, uses.

Anything I'm forgetting? I read on other posts that I shouldn't worry about hardness or specific gravity? There was one question on specific gravity on the regionals but it was a calculation question.

What about specific definitions? or charts like the rock cycle or Bowie's reaction series chart?

Thanks!!
Bob
For rocks specifically, make sure you know the charts from the Earth Science Reference Table. They are extremely helpful during tests. Try to add a glossary to your binder of terms you may not know, just in case they come up. Other charts are good too, especially Bowen's Reaction Series. Also, when identifying metamorphic rocks, make sure you have the grade of metamorphism.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
wzhang5460
Has thanked: 0

Post by wzhang5460 »

I agree with Kate, I got first place regionals following her advice. I'm quite an experienced Rocks and Minerals competitor.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
kate!

Post by kate! »

wzhang5460 wrote:I agree with Kate, I got first place regionals following her advice. I'm quite an experienced Rocks and Minerals competitor.
PSA: This guy did not ask for my advice, nor has he competed in Rocks and Minerals more than once. He was a stand-in at regionals and got a free medal. Check his signature.
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

kate! wrote:
wzhang5460 wrote:I agree with Kate, I got first place regionals following her advice. I'm quite an experienced Rocks and Minerals competitor.
PSA: This guy did not ask for my advice, nor has he competed in Rocks and Minerals more than once. He was a stand-in at regionals and got a free medal. Check his signature.
Ah, but did this guy carry, or was he carried?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
kate!

Post by kate! »

whythelongface wrote:
kate! wrote:
He was carried by a guy who got 5th at nationals last year.
nicksalanitri

Post by nicksalanitri »

kate! wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
kate! wrote:
He was carried by a guy who got 5th at nationals last year.

I don't know what you're talking about, he did everything.
Ward Melville 2018-2020 + DMAH Coach 2019

2019 Events: Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping

2020 Events: Fossils, Ornithology, Gravity Vehicle (also did forensics, ppp, wright)
arv101
State: NJ

Post by arv101 »

Yay this should be my 100th post! Many of you have suggested minerals.net. However some of the information isn't very accurate. Should I still use it?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

arv101 wrote:Yay this should be my 100th post! Many of you have suggested minerals.net. However some of the information isn't very accurate. Should I still use it?
I do agree with you: minerals.net is inaccurate. But it also has good information, which you can corroborate with other websites such as weikipedia and mindat.org. In short, only trust info if you can cross-check it.
shubhsuper

Post by shubhsuper »

What are some good sources for studying the rock cycle, grades of metamorphism and Bowen's reaction series? I am very new to the event and an struggling to fully understand these concepts in depth for the state level.

Return to “2018 Study Events”