Solar System B

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Solar System B

Postby bernard » August 31st, 2017, 12:20 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Solar System B

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 6th, 2017, 12:44 pm

For Solar System, when it says geologic processes, do we have to know when the planets/moons/asteroid belts formed or do we just need to know the events that occurred within the planet, such as another asteroid colliding onto say Mars?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » September 7th, 2017, 3:40 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:For Solar System, when it says geologic processes, do we have to know when the planets/moons/asteroid belts formed or do we just need to know the events that occurred within the planet, such as another asteroid colliding onto say Mars?

There's nothing in the rules stopping that from being a question on a test, so I'd recommend adding it to your notesheet
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » September 8th, 2017, 9:45 pm

The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

jkang
State: TX

Postby jkang » September 8th, 2017, 10:19 pm

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?

No Earth. It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby NeilMehta » September 9th, 2017, 7:45 am

jkang wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?

No Earth. It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.

^, unfortunately this event only refers to objects inside our solar system

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » September 10th, 2017, 10:42 am

jkang wrote:It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.

Eh, the event could get there eventually. Be fair: The Div C event only just got around to adding in exoplanets, our knowledge of exoplanets is all VERY recent, and this Solar System topic is brand new! I'm personally pretty excited, I remember when I did Solar Sys the purpose was very...broad, so this is a neat way to continue off of the ices topic. Eventually someone may write up exoplanets that's doable for Div B, but lots of things in space/astro are fascinating you know ;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

jkang
State: TX

Postby jkang » September 10th, 2017, 11:40 pm

syo_astro wrote:Eh, the event could get there eventually. Be fair: The Div C event only just got around to adding in exoplanets, our knowledge of exoplanets is all VERY recent, and this Solar System topic is brand new! I'm personally pretty excited, I remember when I did Solar Sys the purpose was very...broad, so this is a neat way to continue off of the ices topic. Eventually someone may write up exoplanets that's doable for Div B, but lots of things in space/astro are fascinating you know ;).

Yeah I guess that's mostly since my exposure to astro has been through college so far (never did astro in SciO, but took undergrad planets last year and I'm in grad planets now) and exoplanets honestly seem like something that wouldn't be too hard to turn into an event for B/C (detection methods, formation theory, maybe some id, etc). The fact that it's a new field (the first confirmed exoplanet was only 22 years ago - crazy) also makes it hella exciting.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

OrigamiPlanet

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 14th, 2017, 1:16 pm

How specific do you guys think we'll need to get with some of the asteroids in the solar system?

Main Events For 2019

Email me for anything!

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » September 17th, 2017, 5:23 pm

How much further do we need to go than the resources on that document on the soinc.org event page??? :?: :?:
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby NeilMehta » September 17th, 2017, 8:40 pm

WhatScience? wrote:How much further do we need to go than the resources on that document on the soinc.org event page??? :?: :?:

In addition to all of those, honestly, Wikipedia should have you covered
WhatScience? wrote:How specific do you guys think we'll need to get with some of the asteroids in the solar system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _asteroids
This page lists some significant ones. Honestly, there are just way too many asteroids to know about each, so your best bet is probably to know about a few of the major ones (i.e. Ceres) and then learn general information about asteroids and formation and such. It really seems like they want to place an emphasis on planets over asteroids, although I could definitely be wrong on that one.

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » September 18th, 2017, 5:27 am

Thanks for that Neil.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

OrigamiPlanet

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 21st, 2017, 1:34 pm

Radioactive dating IS a type of surface dating, right? I don't have a clear-cut answer for that, and I want to try to conserve my space for other topics as well.

Main Events For 2019

Email me for anything!

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » October 2nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

I saw this idea in the Anatomy forum and was orignally against it but as it has been succesfully argued to me, I thought I could share it here.

Would anyone (or more people) be up for note sharing in Solar System?(Note I say sharing not I give everything to you and the other way around)

Events 2018

bmd234

Postby bmd234 » October 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm

The rule manual says that we need to know about cratering of the planets, I'm working on Mercury right now and I looked up a list of craters but there's like hundreds of craters on mercury... how many do we need to know?

Return to “2018 Study Events”