Solar System B

zannash
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by zannash »

JoeyC wrote:Does anyone know how to identify craters and the such; I've tried memorizing their appearances, but I just tried a practiced test and failrd that portion; all craters look fundamentally alike. Doesn't anyone have any tips? Thanks!
You can use planetary nomenclature for some things, but really all you can do is memorize by appearance.
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

JoeyC wrote:Does anyone know how to identify craters and the such; I've tried memorizing their appearances, but I just tried a practiced test and failrd that portion; all craters look fundamentally alike. Doesn't anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Haven't you look for list of craters? I think Wikipedia have a page on list of craters. If you're having difficulties, identifying whichcrater is which you should probably put images of craters in your notes. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Guys, I just realized why I got some of the identification questions wrong on the practice test; the Florida test in the test exchange identifies the crater in question 10 (image E) wrong; in the key it is identified as the Caloris Basin (which is pretty flat in comparison to given crater), but it is in fact the "spider" crater, or the apollodorus and the pantheon fossae on Mercury!
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

I knew something was wrong; there's no mistaking those lines. The apollodorus is in the middle of the Caloris Basin, true, but common sense tell us the correct answer is not the Caloris Basin.
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA19410
is where the image came from.
wellOKthen
Division: B

Post by wellOKthen »

Does anybody know the best places to find pictures of Mar's surface features?
wellOKthen
Division: B

Post by wellOKthen »

Also, what part of the event do you feel is the easiest???
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

wellOKthen wrote:Does anybody know the best places to find pictures of Mar's surface features?
Also, what part of the event do you feel is the easiest???
Wikipedia is a good website that contains images for Mar's surface features. I haven't used the NASA website, but NASA could be useful.

For your second question, I honestly think the moon phases in part 2 is the easiest, just because you can put an image of all the moon phrases in a cheat-sheet.
sihirao23

Post by sihirao23 »

So are calculators allowed or not?.....the rules don't specify what kind we can bring(if we are allowed to bring them)
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

sihirao23 wrote:So are calculators allowed or not?.....the rules don't specify what kind we can bring(if we are allowed to bring them)
Calculators aren't allowed; it says "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not specifically permitted in the rules or clarification, then they are not allowed."
http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/tso/20 ... ations.php
I understand that this is being applied to the Texas state tournament, but it should be applicable to all other competitions.
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Wait... sihirao23...... where have I seen that before?

Return to “2018 Study Events”