State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Solar System B

Post by bernard »

Solar System Wiki
Solar System Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015
Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Solar System B

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

For Solar System, when it says geologic processes, do we have to know when the planets/moons/asteroid belts formed or do we just need to know the events that occurred within the planet, such as another asteroid colliding onto say Mars?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NeilMehta »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:For Solar System, when it says geologic processes, do we have to know when the planets/moons/asteroid belts formed or do we just need to know the events that occurred within the planet, such as another asteroid colliding onto say Mars?
There's nothing in the rules stopping that from being a question on a test, so I'd recommend adding it to your notesheet
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
jkang
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by jkang »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?
No Earth. It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

jkang wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:The planets this year are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars right?
No Earth. It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.
^, unfortunately this event only refers to objects inside our solar system
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

jkang wrote:It's honestly a shame that this event doesn't cover any exoplanets, since there are many fascinating systems out there.
Eh, the event could get there eventually. Be fair: The Div C event only just got around to adding in exoplanets, our knowledge of exoplanets is all VERY recent, and this Solar System topic is brand new! I'm personally pretty excited, I remember when I did Solar Sys the purpose was very...broad, so this is a neat way to continue off of the ices topic. Eventually someone may write up exoplanets that's doable for Div B, but lots of things in space/astro are fascinating you know ;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

syo_astro wrote:Eh, the event could get there eventually. Be fair: The Div C event only just got around to adding in exoplanets, our knowledge of exoplanets is all VERY recent, and this Solar System topic is brand new! I'm personally pretty excited, I remember when I did Solar Sys the purpose was very...broad, so this is a neat way to continue off of the ices topic. Eventually someone may write up exoplanets that's doable for Div B, but lots of things in space/astro are fascinating you know ;).
Yeah I guess that's mostly since my exposure to astro has been through college so far (never did astro in SciO, but took undergrad planets last year and I'm in grad planets now) and exoplanets honestly seem like something that wouldn't be too hard to turn into an event for B/C (detection methods, formation theory, maybe some id, etc). The fact that it's a new field (the first confirmed exoplanet was only 22 years ago - crazy) also makes it hella exciting.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

How specific do you guys think we'll need to get with some of the asteroids in the solar system?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

How much further do we need to go than the resources on that document on the soinc.org event page??? :?: :?:

Return to “2018 Study Events”