Solar System B

zannash
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by zannash »

Is this event dead question marathon wise? I'd really like to see it get started again, especially with many teams preparing for states and nationals.
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

How were the state test guys???
wellOKthen
Division: B
State: TX

Post by wellOKthen »

I don't wanna give too much away, but let's just say the Texas State test was unpredictable. It was 15 questions long and did not defy the rules, however, it did focus on some more obscure elements of the event. I ended up getting 3rd at state but our cheatsheet was completely useless due to the type of questions asked. Good luck!
Also, be prepared for some trick questions if your test is anything like the one that I had.
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

JoeyC wrote:
sihirao23 wrote:So are calculators allowed or not?.....the rules don't specify what kind we can bring(if we are allowed to bring them)
Calculators aren't allowed; it says "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not specifically permitted in the rules or clarification, then they are not allowed."
http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/tso/20 ... ations.php
I understand that this is being applied to the Texas state tournament, but it should be applicable to all other competitions.
In YouTube, there's a Science Olympiad video that's about Solar System. The female speaker says that calculators are allowed, but I don't know why she said that.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JionPark wrote:
JoeyC wrote:
sihirao23 wrote:So are calculators allowed or not?.....the rules don't specify what kind we can bring(if we are allowed to bring them)
Calculators aren't allowed; it says "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not specifically permitted in the rules or clarification, then they are not allowed."
I understand that this is being applied to the Texas state tournament, but it should be applicable to all other competitions.
In YouTube, there's a Science Olympiad video that's about Solar System. The female speaker says that calculators are allowed, but I don't know why she said that.
Calculators are not allowed. I know this particularly well, having discovered this three days prior to a tournament and having to revise my test significantly.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

Unome wrote:
JionPark wrote:
JoeyC wrote: Calculators aren't allowed; it says "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not specifically permitted in the rules or clarification, then they are not allowed."
Calculators are not allowed. I know this particularly well, having discovered this three days prior to a tournament and having to revise my test significantly.
Exactly 8-)
Were calculators used for Solar System in previous years?
PotatoBoi

Post by PotatoBoi »

Unome wrote:
JionPark wrote:
JoeyC wrote: Calculators aren't allowed; it says "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not specifically permitted in the rules or clarification, then they are not allowed."
The weird thing is that both the Chandra Observatory video and the annotated test sample reference being able to use calculators: " This year’s rules allow the use of calculators to solve questions, so numerical questions may include real data as opposed to “clean” numbers."
SOPanthers18
Division: B
State: PA

Post by SOPanthers18 »

PotatoBoi wrote:
Unome wrote:
JionPark wrote:
The weird thing is that both the Chandra Observatory video and the annotated test sample reference being able to use calculators: " This year’s rules allow the use of calculators to solve questions, so numerical questions may include real data as opposed to “clean” numbers."
Do they really expect us to do cube roots in our head though? I mean, all the regionals and invitational tests I've taken had math questions that we couldn't solve because we didn't have calculators...
go strath haven!!
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

Does anyone have information about what will be included in the 2019 Solar System event?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Girlpower05 wrote:Does anyone have information about what will be included in the 2019 Solar System event?
It'll probably be the same topic.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Study Events”