bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Parasitology B/C [NY TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Parasitology is a trial event for Division B and C in New York for the 2018 season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
JohnSkyChung
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Parasitology B/C [NY TRIAL]

Post by JohnSkyChung »

I'm doing Parasitology this year, so is there anything I could do the help me do good? :?: :?: :?:
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Ingest parasites so you can cheat on the test
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Almandine wrote:Ingest parasites so you can cheat on the test
I'm pretty sure Barry Marshall is not supposed to be anyone's inspiration in life. Please do not copy Barry Marshall.

Also, I told whythelongface to read that post and now he's complaining his guacamole seems unappetizing so I'm going to hold this thread accountable for that.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

knottingpurple wrote:
I'm pretty sure Barry Marshall is not supposed to be anyone's inspiration in life. Please do not copy Barry Marshall.

Also, I told whythelongface to read that post and now he's complaining his guacamole seems unappetizing so I'm going to hold this thread accountable for that.
Guacamole seems unappetizing, parasites or not.
JohnSkyChung wrote:I'm doing Parasitology this year, so is there anything I could do the help me do good? :?: :?: :?:
*do well
Just look up stuff. I don't know if you get a cheatsheet or a binder, but either way, look up stuff. (Follow instructions on how to make a good cheatsheet; margins, font, size, etc)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

Froggie wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:

Guacamole seems unappetizing, parasites or not.
But at least you do seem to agree that eating parasites is not the way to learn parasitology, glad we've all established that.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

JohnSkyChung wrote:I'm doing Parasitology this year, so is there anything I could do the help me do good? :?: :?: :?:
Parasitology is a binder event, so it’s really best to make a binder instead of a few notesheets. This means that you should get a list of species (found on the NYSSO site) and put together a schedule of how many you need to do every day to finish, with about two to three weeks to spare before competition. The nice thing about parasites is that it gives exactly what you need to put for each category in the rules (distribution, predators, etc.) so make sure to use this to your advantage! Finally, make sure to add plenty of pictures of the parasites. Many parasites cause visible infections, so don’t forget pics of the infection itself! (easy on the loa loa pics, you don’t want your partner gagging in the middle of the test :p )
As long as you stay super consistent with studying, you’ll be totally okay. Make sure to really take advantage of Christmas break and get in four or so species daily if you can - it’ll be a huge help later on!
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

netflixlogin wrote:Though an important note here netflix login that you will be required to submit your credit card information for this trail & you cancel the subscription after one month in order to avoid billing. You can do this under your account in your profile. Check out the free Netflix sign up premium account and password below.
Example of a parasite - this account requires the site to survive, yet benefits at the expense of the site. However, it isn't too great of a parasite, because the account will most likely not be living too long and will be unable to profit :P
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

NeilMehta wrote:
netflixlogin wrote:Though an important note here netflix login that you will be required to submit your credit card information for this trail & you cancel the subscription after one month in order to avoid billing. You can do this under your account in your profile. Check out the free Netflix sign up premium account and password below.
Example of a parasite - this account requires the site to survive, yet benefits at the expense of the site. However, it isn't too great of a parasite, because the account will most likely not be living too long and will be unable to profit :P
:lol:
scioly2345
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

NeilMehta wrote:

Do trials count at NYS this year?
I do Parasitology but idk if they count at states
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “2018 Study Events”