Fermi Questions C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Because of thanksgiving:

How many Joules of turkey energy are consumed by Americans on thanksgiving?

Also, how many (completely empty) Empire State buildings could you fill with those turkeys?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

I'll ask a new question: How many cubic meters of sweat does Valery Gergiev extrude while conducting Stravinsky's Firebird? :?: :?:
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
AnikJain3pro5un00bs
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Post by AnikJain3pro5un00bs »

Ha! A funny question! I do not know if the man made many recordings of Firebird, but I'll choose the famous one, since the others are probably the same!

Ok! Here we go!
ok so, Firebird is about 45 minutes long if my memory serves me correct, not including audience claps.
Now Valery does quite a bit of working out, haha, and we might equate it to a normal workout...! In fact, we shall do so!
I do not know how much I sweat when I work out, but I do know how much water I usually drink! About half a litre, I think. And maybe I sweat as much.
Now we must examine, if Valery is really doing so much of a workout! I think not. Perhaps.
However, we must look that he is conducting in a hot suit, and waving a stick around for 45 minutes! Perhaps this makes you sweat a lot!
Furthermore, he has much energy! I remember that he does sweat a lot even at the beginning, before the finale, et cetera...so I would have to go with 1 litre, which comes out to be -3, I think.
What the actual answer is, I do not think we shall ever know! But we can look at the actual numbers, and it says you sweat around a liter every hour when you exercise! So I think I may be right.

Fun problem I have for you! So fun, I make into a poem. Or a song, you can sing if you want :D I went to tower of Hanoi one day,
and there I saw them stacking rings!
In my head maths began to play,
And I wondered how many ways to stack those things.
How many rings, I don't know, but let us say there were 88.
On three stands, were these rings,
Each stacked on another with a radius more great.
All at first were on one stand,
A move is to take the top ring of a stand and put it on another stand, fun!
But the catch here really is quite grand!
You cannot put it on a smaller one.
So I sat there and I ask to me,
If all start on one stand and we make only legal move,
At any time, how many legal positions can there be?
If solve this you can, a Fermi master you will prove!
:D hoping to enjoy another year of the science olympiad!!
Name
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

AnikJain3pro5un00bs wrote:Ha! A funny question! I do not know if the man made many recordings of Firebird, but I'll choose the famous one, since the others are probably the same!

Ok! Here we go!
ok so, Firebird is about 45 minutes long if my memory serves me correct, not including audience claps.
Now Valery does quite a bit of working out, haha, and we might equate it to a normal workout...! In fact, we shall do so!
I do not know how much I sweat when I work out, but I do know how much water I usually drink! About half a litre, I think. And maybe I sweat as much.
Now we must examine, if Valery is really doing so much of a workout! I think not. Perhaps.
However, we must look that he is conducting in a hot suit, and waving a stick around for 45 minutes! Perhaps this makes you sweat a lot!
Furthermore, he has much energy! I remember that he does sweat a lot even at the beginning, before the finale, et cetera...so I would have to go with 1 litre, which comes out to be -3, I think.
What the actual answer is, I do not think we shall ever know! But we can look at the actual numbers, and it says you sweat around a liter every hour when you exercise! So I think I may be right.

Fun problem I have for you! So fun, I make into a poem. Or a song, you can sing if you want :D I went to tower of Hanoi one day,
and there I saw them stacking rings!
In my head maths began to play,
And I wondered how many ways to stack those things.
How many rings, I don't know, but let us say there were 88.
On three stands, were these rings,
Each stacked on another with a radius more great.
All at first were on one stand,
A move is to take the top ring of a stand and put it on another stand, fun!
But the catch here really is quite grand!
You cannot put it on a smaller one.
So I sat there and I ask to me,
If all start on one stand and we make only legal move,
At any time, how many legal positions can there be?
If solve this you can, a Fermi master you will prove!
Hmmm 1 ring 3 combination 2 ring is 9 and 3 is 27 I think which means equation is 3^n. Log(3 is .477 times 88 is 42

Question: what is the gravitational acceleration In m/s^2 of 2 identical balls weighing the mass of the sun separated by the plancks length

Question 2: If the balls both gained 1 electron how many newtons of force would the balls initially experience
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Been well over two weeks, will try to start this again:
if you took every blood vessel in your body and laid it end to end, how many times could that length (ignoring the width!) wrap around a neutron?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Neutron radius is something like E-13 meters (guesstimating since atoms are around E-10 and electrons are around E-15).
 Total length of blood vessels is dominated by capillaries of course. It's hard to say, but I'd take the volume of a human (7E-2 cubic meters) and multiply it by perhaps 1 cm of capillary per cubic micrometer - E16 meters per cubic meter, therefore E13 meters of blood vessels. Hence, Fermi Answer: 26
Neutron radius is E-15 meters. Length of blood vessels is less than I had thought, about 1.6E8 meters, giving a Fermi Answer: 23
How much energy would be required to boil all of the world's oceans, in units of the amount of calories consumed in the form of potato chips annually in the US?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Unome wrote:
Neutron radius is something like E-13 meters (guesstimating since atoms are around E-10 and electrons are around E-15).
 Total length of blood vessels is dominated by capillaries of course. It's hard to say, but I'd take the volume of a human (7E-2 cubic meters) and multiply it by perhaps 1 cm of capillary per cubic micrometer - E16 meters per cubic meter, therefore E13 meters of blood vessels. Hence, Fermi Answer: 26
Neutron radius is E-15 meters. Length of blood vessels is less than I had thought, about 1.6E8 meters, giving a Fermi Answer: 23
How much energy would be required to boil all of the world's oceans, in units of the amount of calories consumed in the form of potato chips annually in the US?
A serving of potato chips has about 2E2 kilocalories, which is 2E5 calories, or about E6 joules of energy.
q=mct
we need to raise the temperature by a bit under 100 degrees C
the earth has (guess  :( ) E16 L of water? which should be E19 mL of water, which should have a mass of E19 g
so E19*E2=E21 bags of chips
in the united states, the average person probably consumes about E2 bags of chips (or equivalent) per year. with a population of E8, that leaves us with E10 bags eaten per year, or a final answer of E11 units.
1292000000 pounds of potato chips eaten per year, or 3E12 calories
E21 liters of water, so E24 mL.
we need to raise by 83 degrees celsius
>>realized i made a mistake in calculations, C of water is in calories not joules
E24 grams * 83 degrees C is E25 calories
final answer= E13
distance from attempt=2
new question: how many µL of ink would it take to print one copy of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Name

Post by Name »

NeilMehta wrote: new question: how many µL of ink would it take to print one copy of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
I'm gonna assume that Romeo and Juliet is around 300 pages and I doubt a page takes that much ink. 1 ML seems too much and I'll assume 3 microliters which is Fermi answer 3.
It seems like a page uses around .05 microliter and the copy of Romeo and Juliet I have is just over 300 pages so Fermi answer 1
New question
Assuming everyone in the world weighs 100 kg, if everyone in the world was converted to pure energy, how long will it take for the sun to create the same amount of energy
BirdSO TD/ES
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

E2 kg*7E9 = E11 kg, E11*3E8*3E8=9E27. The sun outputs either E24 or E26 Watts - can't remember, so I'll go with E26 to account for the coefficient - assuming you wanted the answer in seconds (since you didn't specify) , Fermi Answer: 2
There are approximately 7.58 billion people in the world currently (I underestimated). Energy produced by people = 6.822E28. The sun produces 3.85E26 Watts. Hence, Fermi Answer: 2
How many pixels are on the screens of all iPhone 5's (standard version only) ever produced?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Name

Post by Name »

Unome wrote: How many pixels are on the screens of all iPhone 5's (standard version only) ever produced?
gonna assume a phone is around a decimeter by decimeter. I'll go with E3 pixels in a decimeter so E6 pixel/phone and I'll assume maybe 5E7 iPhone 5 have been purchased so 14
I'm pretty sure there is 6E5 pixels in a iPhone 5 and E7 has been sold so 13
How many moles of oxegen molecules will one RBC carry throughout it's lifetime?
BirdSO TD/ES

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”