Thermodynamics B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Postby WhatScience? » September 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

answer the above question please
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Postby wzhang5460 » September 11th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Kavar wrote:
wzhang5460 wrote:D
Credits to Khan Academy lol.

I believe you are mistaken. The answer should be C if you cancel out the values correctly. Credits to Khan Academy ;) :D .

Sorry, I typed the wrong letter. Haha
PJ Gelinas Jr High Captain
National Medals
Wind Power 2017: 5th
National Honorable Mentions
Mystery Arch. 2018: 7th
Exp. Design 2017, 2018: 10th
Towers 2018: 10th

Circuit Lab NY State Champion

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » September 12th, 2017, 3:37 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:Question: van der waals equation is a correction of the ideal gas law. In which three scenarios is it most applicable and what is the reasoning behind the changes made to the equation?
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » October 6th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I only know two scenarios: when the molecules are relatively large (e.g. octane) and when there is strong intermolecular interactions (e.g. water vapor).

The equation is . The correction factor accounts for intermolecular interactions, and the correction factor accounts for size of gases.

The bob temperature scale is a linear temperature scale where at 1 atm, water freezes at 42°B and boils at 239°B. Convert -53 °C to °B.
Last edited by raxu on October 9th, 2017, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » October 9th, 2017, 2:42 pm

raxu wrote:I only know two scenarios: when the molecules are relatively large (e.g. octane) and when there is strong intermolecular interactions (e.g. water vapor).

The equation is . The correction factor accounts for intermolecular interactions, and the correction factor accounts for size of gases.

The bob temperature scale is a linear temperature scale where at 1 atm, water freezes at 42°B and boils at 239°B. Convert -53 °C to °B.

The equation part is right but the three scenarios I was looking for was any scenario where the molecules are crowded together: High pressure, Low Temperature, and High Density

Either way, your turn.

Events 2018

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 2nd, 2017, 5:29 am

raxu wrote:I only know two scenarios: when the molecules are relatively large (e.g. octane) and when there is strong intermolecular interactions (e.g. water vapor).

Hey, I am pretty much quoting you to give you a notification that it is your turn to give a question.

Events 2018

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » November 2nd, 2017, 5:37 am

Il jump in here (even tho im not doing the event...)

What factor of a reaction must be negative for it to be spontaneous?

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 2nd, 2017, 7:45 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Il jump in here (even tho im not doing the event...)

What factor of a reaction must be negative for it to be spontaneous?

In the equation for Gibbs free Energy Delta G should end up negative for the reaction to be spontaneous.

Events 2018

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » November 3rd, 2017, 7:43 pm

WhatScience? wrote:

Hey, I am pretty much quoting you to give you a notification that it is your turn to give a question.

There is a question in there :)
Richard
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 4th, 2017, 7:58 am

raxu wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

So here are my calculation...there are 1.97 degrees Celsius for every 1 degree Bob.

42-(53*1.97)=-62.41

So my guess is -62.41 degrees B. Is this correct? I highly doubt it as I have never seen a problem like this.

Events 2018

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 4th, 2017, 8:21 am

WhatScience? wrote:
raxu wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

So here are my calculation...there are 1.97 degrees Celsius for every 1 degree Bob.

42-(53*1.97)=-62.41

So my guess is -62.41 degrees B. Is this correct? I highly doubt it as I have never seen a problem like this.

I further believe this calculation because I created an equation for Celsius as x related to Bob as y and this is what came up. Very interesting question. Made me think.

Events 2018

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 5th, 2017, 6:11 pm

raxu wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

Can I go???

Am I right???

Events 2018

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » November 5th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Yes! Go for it!
Richard

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » November 5th, 2017, 6:59 pm

raxu wrote:Yes! Go for it!

Convection is a form of heat transfer among fluids. What is the basic property that allows it to work?

Events 2018

platinumfalcon

Postby platinumfalcon » November 8th, 2017, 7:42 am

[hide]
Convection is heat transfer by the mass movement of molecules from one place to another (Giancoli). Convection occurs because hot fluids rise. This is because when a fluid is heated, in most cases, its volume increases. Thus, its density decreases, and it experiences a buoyant force propelling it upwards. [/hide]

Next question: During photosynthesis, cells combine "disorderly" compounds (CO2 and H2O) into "orderly" glucose molecules. Is this a violation of the second law of thermodynamics?

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”