Page 14 of 16

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: April 29th, 2018, 6:28 pm
by photolithoautotroph
MattChina wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
acidbeaker wrote:2.50 L of gas originally at 60 ̊C is warmed to 145 ̊C.

1. What is the new volume if the pressure remains constant?
2. Who named this law?

Answer
1) 1.99 L
2) Jacques Charles if you mean who the law was named after

Shouldnt the gas expand?

It should expand. I get 3.14L but there is technically only one significant figure because of 60C. So it would be 3L

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: April 29th, 2018, 6:58 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
MattChina wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
acidbeaker wrote:2.50 L of gas originally at 60 ̊C is warmed to 145 ̊C.

1. What is the new volume if the pressure remains constant?
2. Who named this law?

Answer
1) 1.99 L
2) Jacques Charles if you mean who the law was named after

Shouldnt the gas expand?

Yeah, whoops
1) 3.14 L

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Just going to ask the next question..

5 moles of a monatomic ideal gas isobarically and adiabatically contract by 1.5 L, changing from 100 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius. Find the final volume and pressure of the gas.

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 5th, 2018, 7:54 am
by MattChina
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Just going to ask the next question..

5 moles of a monatomic ideal gas isobarically and adiabatically expand by 1.5 L, changing from 100 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius. Find the final volume and pressure of the gas.

answer
554.3 bars and 26.48 liters

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 5th, 2018, 5:58 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
MattChina wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Just going to ask the next question..

5 moles of a monatomic ideal gas isobarically and adiabatically expand by 1.5 L, changing from 100 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius. Find the final volume and pressure of the gas.

answer
554.3 bars and 26.48 liters

Sorry, you're right, it should be contract, not expand :|
Edited the original post to clarify.

Your turn!

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 7th, 2018, 7:23 pm
by MattChina
What is the heat energy required to completely vaporize 110g of water beginning at 0°C? (The heat capacity of water is 4.2 J/g⋅K and the ΔH
vaporization of water is 2260 kJ/kg

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
MattChina wrote:What is the heat energy required to completely vaporize 110g of water beginning at 0°C? (The heat capacity of water is 4.2 J/g⋅K and the ΔH
vaporization of water is 2260 kJ/kg

Answer

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 9th, 2018, 5:57 pm
by MattChina
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
MattChina wrote:What is the heat energy required to completely vaporize 110g of water beginning at 0°C? (The heat capacity of water is 4.2 J/g⋅K and the ΔH
vaporization of water is 2260 kJ/kg

Answer


Yep, sounds about right

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 10th, 2018, 12:20 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
All right! When heat flows through a wall, what kind of process is that?

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 13th, 2018, 3:46 pm
by MattChina
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:All right! When heat flows through a wall, what kind of process is that?


a flow process?

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 28th, 2018, 9:37 am
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Was looking for
Diathermic, but I guess I could've been more specific with the question


The zeroth law of thermodynamics allows us to define what quantity?

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 28th, 2018, 4:36 pm
by MattChina
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Was looking for
Diathermic, but I guess I could've been more specific with the question


The zeroth law of thermodynamics allows us to define what quantity?

temperature

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: May 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Yep, your turn.

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: June 10th, 2018, 11:19 am
by MattChina
Questions!
What is the common heat engine cycle used for most power plants?

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Posted: June 20th, 2018, 3:41 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
MattChina wrote:
Questions!
What is the common heat engine cycle used for most power plants?

Answer?
Rankine