Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Sitting at my desk on my computer
Contact:

Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Welcome to the Disease Detectives B/C Question Marathon!

List the five biggest outbreaks and pandemics in history.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar, Microbe Mission
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 am
Division: C
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:Welcome to the Disease Detectives B/C Question Marathon!

List the five biggest outbreaks and pandemics in history.


Answer
Black Death, 1918 Spanish Flu, HIV/AIDS, Plague of Justinian, Antonine Plague
"The fact that you aren't where you want to be should be enough motivation."

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Sitting at my desk on my computer
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:20 am

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Welcome to the Disease Detectives B/C Question Marathon!

List the five biggest outbreaks and pandemics in history.


Answer
Black Death, 1918 Spanish Flu, HIV/AIDS, Plague of Justinian, Antonine Plague

Correct! Your turn.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar, Microbe Mission
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 am
Division: C
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Welcome to the Disease Detectives B/C Question Marathon!

List the five biggest outbreaks and pandemics in history.


Answer
Black Death, 1918 Spanish Flu, HIV/AIDS, Plague of Justinian, Antonine Plague

Correct! Your turn.

List Koch's postulates.
"The fact that you aren't where you want to be should be enough motivation."

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I think
1. Microorganisms have to be found in all organisms that have the disease but not in the ones that don't.
2. Microorganism has to be separate from organisms with the disease.
3. Microorganism must cause a disease.
4. Uhh... Said microorganism must be the same as another microorganism (?)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Susan
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Susan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Kochs postulates:
Pathogen is present in every case of the disease, can be isolated from host and cultured, can be used to infect animals in the lab, and then be isolated from that animal again, right?

Diego
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:20 pm
State: -
Contact:

Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Diego » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 pm

A vector is
A quantity having direction as well as magnitude, especially as determining the position of one point in space relative to another. Or
An organism, typically a biting insect or tick, that transmits a disease or parasite from one animal or plant to another.


The most recent and severe flue epidemic was
The H1N1 of 1918

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Sitting at my desk on my computer
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Diego wrote:A vector is
A quantity having direction as well as magnitude, especially as determining the position of one point in space relative to another. Or
An organism, typically a biting insect or tick, that transmits a disease or parasite from one animal or plant to another.


The most recent and severe flu epidemic was
The H1N1 of 1918

The point of Question Marathons is for people to pose questions and others to answer them. For example:
Person 1 wrote:What are the three main modes of transmission?

Person 2 wrote:Airborne, Vectorborne, and Vehicleborne.

Person 1 wrote:Correct! You may now pose a question.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar, Microbe Mission
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 am
Division: C
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 am

Froggie wrote:
I think
1. Microorganisms have to be found in all organisms that have the disease but not in the ones that don't.
2. Microorganism has to be separate from organisms with the disease.
3. Microorganism must cause a disease.
4. Uhh... Said microorganism must be the same as another microorganism (?)

Correct! Your turn. (Susan, your answer is correct too, but since Froggie answered first, I'll let him ask the next question)
"The fact that you aren't where you want to be should be enough motivation."

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 pm

What does a point source epi-curve look like? (Just describe it)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

User avatar
Nano1llus10n
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:10 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Nano1llus10n » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Froggie wrote:What does a point source epi-curve look like? (Just describe it)


answer
It’s a sharp curve where there is a sudden outbreak
Biology is the only science in which multiplication is the same thing as division.

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Sitting at my desk on my computer
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Froggie wrote:What does a point source epi-curve look like? (Just describe it)

Answer
Image
When there is a sudden spike in # cases.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar, Microbe Mission
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 pm

To be a bit more specific
There is an index case (the first case) followed by a sudden spike in cases roughly one incubation period later. There is little person-to-person transmission, so the outbreak does not last much longer than one incubation period after the date of the index case, and accordingly the graph slopes back down quickly.
Raleigh Charter HS c/o 2018 :idea:
2018 Events
Microbe Mission
Mousetrap Vehicle
Thermodynamics
Remote Sensing

It took Einstein 26 years to develop a theory about space. It was about time, too.

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Sitting at my desk on my computer
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
To be a bit more specific
There is an index case (the first case) followed by a sudden spike in cases roughly one incubation period later. There is little person-to-person transmission, so the outbreak does not last much longer than one incubation period after the date of the index case, and accordingly the graph slopes back down quickly.

Image
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar, Microbe Mission
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Yeah all are correct... Who asks a question now?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie


Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests