Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
IcsTam
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by IcsTam »

What is the difference between gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria? Name an example of each.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
SOUP Sounds Director ‘19, ‘20
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!
Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

IcsTam wrote:What is the difference between gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria? Name an example of each.
Gram positive bacteria have a thicker layer of peptidoglycan outside the cell membrane than gram negative bacteria. GN: Salmonella, GP: Listeria moncytogenes
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
IcsTam

Post by IcsTam »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:
IcsTam wrote:What is the difference between gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria? Name an example of each.
Gram positive bacteria have a thicker layer of peptidoglycan outside the cell membrane than gram negative bacteria. GN: Salmonella, GP: Listeria moncytogenes
Correct! Your turn
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

1. Name three ways in which a cohort study differs from a case-control study.
2. Give two examples of artificially acquired active immunity that don't include a vaccine.
3. What are nutritional causes for a disease?
4. What is a choropleth?
5. What is the ATSDR?
6. Which bacteria can be transmitted by contaminated poultry, milk and other dairy products or salad greens? It's often spread due to poor sanitary practices.
7. What is the difference between the mortality rate and the morbidity rate?
States/Nats
IcsTam

Post by IcsTam »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:1. Name three ways in which a cohort study differs from a case-control study.
2. Give two examples of artificially acquired active immunity that don't include a vaccine.
4. What is a choropleth?
5. What is the ATSDR?
6. Which bacteria can be transmitted by contaminated poultry, milk and other dairy products or salad greens? It's often spread due to poor sanitary practices.
1. Cohort studies are enrolled based on exposure status, while case-control studies are enrolled based on disease status. Cohort studies can be either prospective or retrospective, while case-control studies are only retrospective. Cohort studies test well for rare exposures, while case-control studies test well for rare diseases.
2. Toxoids and Immunoglobin? Wasn't too sure about this one.
3. Nutritional causes for a disease are excesses or deficiencies in the body that cause illness. Vitamin deficiency, high iron, etc.
4. A map which is shaded to show the density of a disease geographically.
5. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
6. Campylobacter jejuni
7. Morbidity Rate is the rate at which a disease is present in a population, while mortality rate is the rate of death in a population.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

IcsTam wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:1. Name three ways in which a cohort study differs from a case-control study.
4. What is a choropleth?
5. What is the ATSDR?
1. Cohort studies are enrolled based on exposure status, while case-control studies are enrolled based on disease status. Cohort studies can be either prospective or retrospective, while case-control studies are only retrospective. Cohort studies test well for rare exposures, while case-control studies test well for rare diseases.
2. Toxoids and Immunoglobin? Wasn't too sure about this one.
3. Nutritional causes for a disease are excesses or deficiencies in the body that cause illness. Vitamin deficiency, high iron, etc.
4. A map which is shaded to show the density of a disease geographically.
5. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
6. Campylobacter jejuni
7. Morbidity Rate is the rate at which a disease is present in a population, while mortality rate is the rate of death in a population.
1. Correct!
2. I asked a really bad question...sorry I'm just going to not count this one. :oops:
3. Correct!
4. Correct!
5. Correct!
6. I was looking for Shingella, althoughy campylobacter jejuni has really similar modes of transmission.
7. Correct!
Your turn!
States/Nats
IcsTam

Post by IcsTam »

What is the difference between neonatal, postneonatal, and infant mortality rates?
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
Knyte_Xjn
State: TX

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

IcsTam wrote:What is the difference between neonatal, postneonatal, and infant mortality rates?
Neonatal Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children from birth up to 28 days of age(exclusive) divided by the number of live births during a given time period, generally per 1,000 live births
Post-neonatal Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children from 28 days of age to 1 year(exclusive) divided by the number of live births during a given time period, generally per 1,000 live births
Infant Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children under 1 year of age reported during a given time period divided by the number of live births in the same time period, generally per 1,000 live births
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
IcsTam

Post by IcsTam »

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
IcsTam wrote:What is the difference between neonatal, postneonatal, and infant mortality rates?
Neonatal Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children from birth up to 28 days of age(exclusive) divided by the number of live births during a given time period, generally per 1,000 live births
Post-neonatal Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children from 28 days of age to 1 year(exclusive) divided by the number of live births during a given time period, generally per 1,000 live births
Infant Mortality Rate: ratio that expresses the number of deaths among children under 1 year of age reported during a given time period divided by the number of live births in the same time period, generally per 1,000 live births
Yup. Your turn.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

I'll post a few questions, I hope Knyte_Xjn doesn't mind.

1. What is a serotype? Give two examples.
2. Describe the natural history of disease timeline.
States/Nats

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”