Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Locked
Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » March 15th, 2018, 6:15 pm

List the formula and what it expresses:
Sensitivity
Specificity
Positive Predictive Value
Negative Predictive Value
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 15th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Froggie wrote:List the formula and what it expresses:
Sensitivity
Specificity
Positive Predictive Value
Negative Predictive Value
Sensitivity = TP / (TP + FN)
It measures a test's ability to correctly identify those who have the disease.
Specificity = TN / (TN + FP)
It measures a test's ability to correctly identify those without the disease.
Positive Predictive Value = TP / (TP + FP)
It measures a test's accuracy in diagnosing those with the disease. It is the chance that a person with a positive result actually has the disease.
Negative Predictive Value = TN / (TN + FN)
It measures a test's accuracy in diagnosing those without the disease. It is the chance that a person with a negative result is truly free of the disease.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » March 15th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Froggie wrote:List the formula and what it expresses:
Sensitivity
Specificity
Positive Predictive Value
Negative Predictive Value
Sensitivity = TP / (TP + FN)
It measures a test's ability to correctly identify those who have the disease.
Specificity = TN / (TN + FP)
It measures a test's ability to correctly identify those without the disease.
Positive Predictive Value = TP / (TP + FP)
It measures a test's accuracy in diagnosing those with the disease. It is the chance that a person with a positive result actually has the disease.
Negative Predictive Value = TN / (TN + FN)
It measures a test's accuracy in diagnosing those without the disease. It is the chance that a person with a negative result is truly free of the disease.
Yay your turn!
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 16th, 2018, 7:57 am

Explain what the four inch law dictates and why it came into being. Include the specific illness that the law aimed to prevent/reduce.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

IcsTam
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 5:09 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by IcsTam » March 16th, 2018, 8:05 am

Knyte_Xjn wrote:Explain what the four inch law dictates and why it came into being. Include the specific illness that the law aimed to prevent/reduce.
Turtles with shells less than four inches were banned from sale. It was made to prevent Salmonella spread.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 16th, 2018, 8:47 am

IcsTam wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:Explain what the four inch law dictates and why it came into being. Include the specific illness that the law aimed to prevent/reduce.
Turtles with shells less than four inches were banned from sale. It was made to prevent Salmonella spread.
Correct, your turn! :)
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

IcsTam
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 5:09 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by IcsTam » March 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

Name and describe the role of each of the following agencies: CDC, FDA, FSIS
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » March 18th, 2018, 7:48 am

IcsTam wrote:Name and describe the role of each of the following agencies: CDC, FDA, FSIS
CDC-Center of Disease Control and Prevention; controls and prevents diesase
FDA-Food and Drug Administration; administers food and drugs
FSIS-Food safety and inspection service; inspects and makes sure food is safe.

They all do basically what their names imply.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

IcsTam
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 5:09 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by IcsTam » March 18th, 2018, 8:58 am

Froggie wrote:
IcsTam wrote:Name and describe the role of each of the following agencies: CDC, FDA, FSIS
CDC-Center of Disease Control and Prevention; controls and prevents diesase
FDA-Food and Drug Administration; administers food and drugs
FSIS-Food safety and inspection service; inspects and makes sure food is safe.

They all do basically what their names imply.
Well, I would be more specific in the role of the FDA. Their role is to protect consumers by regulation of foods and drugs which could be deemed harmful. Additionally, FSIS is specifically concerned with meat, poultry, and eggs, as it is part of the Dept. of Agriculture. Your turn.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Gravity Falls

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny » March 28th, 2018, 8:32 am

I'm going to start this up again.

1. What is the ANOVA test?
2. In what situation would you use a t-test?
3. What causes Mad Cow Disease?
4. Why aren't viruses affected by antibiotics? (Semi-detailed answer please.)
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Locked

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest