Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Ok, I guess I'll revive this. Describe the chain of infection of Salmonella.

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » May 12th, 2018, 2:56 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Ok, I guess I'll revive this. Describe the chain of infection of Salmonella.

Infectious agent: Salmonella enterica
Reservoir: Food (?)
Portal of exit: Everywhere on the food (?)
Mode of transmission: Food bourne
Portal of entry: Mouth
Susceptible host: animals that eat.

I tried.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 12th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Froggie wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Ok, I guess I'll revive this. Describe the chain of infection of Salmonella.

Infectious agent: Salmonella enterica
Reservoir: Food (?)
Portal of exit: Everywhere on the food (?)
Mode of transmission: Food bourne
Portal of entry: Mouth
Susceptible host: animals that eat.

I tried.

A few things wrong
Reservoir and susceptible hosts: Primary hosts are animals such as cattle, swine, and poultry. The final host is humans.
Portal of exit: Skin, respiratory, ailmentary, etc.
Remember, the food is just the vehicle through which the agent gets to the host.


Your turn!

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 621
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » June 14th, 2018, 7:44 am

I'll try to revive this thread with a question from the National test:

Define epizootic.
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2018
State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2019
Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24


Possible 2020 events: DD, GLM, Code, WIDI, 4N6

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: On Earth, I think

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby jimmy-bond » June 14th, 2018, 9:11 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:I'll try to revive this thread with a question from the National test:

Define epizootic.

If I remember correctly
Basically an epidemic that occurs within animal population (excluding humans)

Really? They had that on the nats test? Wow.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 Nats
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 621
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » June 14th, 2018, 10:19 am

jimmy-bond wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:I'll try to revive this thread with a question from the National test:

Define epizootic.

If I remember correctly
Basically an epidemic that occurs within animal population (excluding humans)

Really? They had that on the nats test? Wow.

Correct, your turn!
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2018
State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2019
Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24


Possible 2020 events: DD, GLM, Code, WIDI, 4N6

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: On Earth, I think

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby jimmy-bond » June 14th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I'll use some questions I created for a test.

Sum Ting Wong, being the asian he is, goes out for lunch to eat at Hepati- *cough* Genki Sushi. Since he is an extreme asian, he orders 10 orders of rice, which he consumes in less than a minute without a drink. After he finishes, he pays for his meal and goes home, eating nothing except his “meal”. Later that day, Sum Ting Wong experiences vomiting and watery diarrhea. He suspects his meal at Hepati- I mean Genki Sushi had to do with his symptoms.
1. Given this information, what illness does Sum Ting Wong MOST LIKELY have?
2. Given the symptoms, deduce whether the pathogen for this illness is gram-positive or gram-negative (yes, the illness is bacterial)

Question 2 shouldn't be difficult if you can answer Question 1.
For those who don't get my jokes, we had a Hepatitis A outbreak here on Hawaii, that occurred at Genki Sushi, at the time I was making this test.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 Nats
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 9:33 am
Division: C
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Birdmusic » June 17th, 2018, 8:54 am

jimmy-bond wrote:I'll use some questions I created for a test.

Sum Ting Wong, being the asian he is, goes out for lunch to eat at Hepati- *cough* Genki Sushi. Since he is an extreme asian, he orders 10 orders of rice, which he consumes in less than a minute without a drink. After he finishes, he pays for his meal and goes home, eating nothing except his “meal”. Later that day, Sum Ting Wong experiences vomiting and watery diarrhea. He suspects his meal at Hepati- I mean Genki Sushi had to do with his symptoms.
1. Given this information, what illness does Sum Ting Wong MOST LIKELY have?
2. Given the symptoms, deduce whether the pathogen for this illness is gram-positive or gram-negative (yes, the illness is bacterial)

Question 2 shouldn't be difficult if you can answer Question 1.
For those who don't get my jokes, we had a Hepatitis A outbreak here on Hawaii, that occurred at Genki Sushi, at the time I was making this test.


Answer?
1)Baccilus Cereus commonly can thrive on cooked rice and can cause the symptoms described within the given time frame. He probably has b. cereus poisoning.
2)It is Gram-positive.


I approve of Sum Ting Wong's asian-ness.
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: On Earth, I think

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby jimmy-bond » June 17th, 2018, 11:16 am

Birdmusic wrote:
Answer?
1)Baccilus Cereus commonly can thrive on cooked rice and can cause the symptoms described within the given time frame. He probably has b. cereus poisoning.
2)It is Gram-positive.


I approve of Sum Ting Wong's asian-ness.

Yes! You're turn.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 Nats
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 9:33 am
Division: C
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Birdmusic » June 18th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Since environmental quality will be the next topic:

At what AQI does the EPA start considereing particulate matter unhealthy for sensitive groups?
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » June 21st, 2018, 4:39 pm

Birdmusic wrote:Since environmental quality will be the next topic:

At what AQI does the EPA start considereing particulate matter unhealthy for sensitive groups?

101
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 9:33 am
Division: C
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Birdmusic » June 21st, 2018, 5:45 pm

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Since environmental quality will be the next topic:

At what AQI does the EPA start considereing particulate matter unhealthy for sensitive groups?

101


Yup! Your turn!
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » June 21st, 2018, 9:01 pm

Birdmusic wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Since environmental quality will be the next topic:

At what AQI does the EPA start considereing particulate matter unhealthy for sensitive groups?

101


Yup! Your turn!


Which groups of people are at greater risk from particle pollution(e.g. more likely to manifest health problems)?
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » June 22nd, 2018, 12:45 pm

Knyte_Xjn wrote:Which groups of people are at greater risk from particle pollution(e.g. more likely to manifest health problems)?


Answer
The young, old, and those with immune problems?

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Knyte_Xjn » June 22nd, 2018, 6:36 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:Which groups of people are at greater risk from particle pollution(e.g. more likely to manifest health problems)?


Answer
The young, old, and those with immune problems?

Correct, your turn!
R. I. P. 01/20/2019


Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest