Astronomy C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
jonboyage
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Astronomy C

Post by jonboyage »

An easier question so hopefully some others join in:

Two stars are in transiting orbit around each other. One star has twice the radius and half the temperature of the other. When both stars are completely visible, call that time A. When the smaller star is completely in front of the larger star, call that time B. When the smaller star is completely behind the larger star, call that time C. Rank the observed brightness of the system at times A, B and C.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

jonboyage wrote:An easier question so hopefully some others join in:

Two stars are in transiting orbit around each other. One star has twice the radius and half the temperature of the other. When both stars are completely visible, call that time A. When the smaller star is completely in front of the larger star, call that time B. When the smaller star is completely behind the larger star, call that time C. Rank the observed brightness of the system at times A, B and C.
Increasing or decreasing? (I know the answer, but I won't say, so others can join, like you said.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

PM2017 wrote:

Increasing or decreasing? (I know the answer, but I won't say, so others can join, like you said.)
I’m sorry I didn’t see this until now, I guess you replied so quickly I might still have been on the page so I didn’t get a notification.

Let’s go for increasing: dimmest, middle, brightest
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
sciolyPA
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciolyPA »

jonboyage wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

I’m sorry I didn’t see this until now, I guess you replied so quickly I might still have been on the page so I didn’t get a notification.

First post ever on a forum, so sorry if I formatted it wrong.
Answer: C, B, A
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

sciolyPA wrote:
jonboyage wrote:
PM2017 wrote: Increasing or decreasing? (I know the answer, but I won't say, so others can join, like you said.)

First post ever on a forum, so sorry if I formatted it wrong.
Answer: C, B, A
Correct!
Your turn.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
sciolyPA

Post by sciolyPA »

A star has three times the mass of the sun, what would its schwarzschild radius be? (Also how do you hide your answer behind an answer box and how do you upload math equations to show work?)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Code: Select all

[hide]visible text|hidden text[/hide]

[math]LaTeX code[/math]
Schwarzschild radius = [math]\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/math]
The Sun's mass is approximately [math]1.9*10^30 kg[/math], [math]G = 6.67*10^{-11}[/math] in SI units, and [math]c = 3*10^8 m/s[/math].
Therefore [math]R = 8.45 km[/math]
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyPA

Post by sciolyPA »

Unome wrote:

[hide]visible text|hidden text[/hide]

[math]LaTeX code[/math]
Schwarzschild radius = [math]\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/math]
The Sun's mass is approximately [math]1.9*10^30 kg[/math], [math]G = 6.67*10^{-11}[/math] in SI units, and [math]c = 3*10^8 m/s[/math].
Therefore [math]R = 8.45 km[/math]

Looks good and thanks for the help!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

1. What DSO was this data gathered from?
2. Is this image a spectrum, light curve, or radial velocity graph? (meta question to anyone who can answer - what would be a good way to phrase this without listing options?)
3. What orbital phenomenon does this image show?
4. How many times brighter is the star at peak brightness than at minimum?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Unome wrote:Image
1. What DSO was this data gathered from?
2. Is this image a spectrum, light curve, or radial velocity graph? (meta question to anyone who can answer - what would be a good way to phrase this without listing options?)
3. What orbital phenomenon does this image show?
4. How many times brighter is the star at peak brightness than at minimum?
an answer to your meta question: You could ask, "What type of chart is shown in this image?"

(also, the sad feel when you can answer all the questions except for the first, and probably easiest one... I'm actually clueless as to which DSO this is...)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”