Microbe Mission B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
The48thYoshi
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by The48thYoshi »

allopathie wrote:Patient: 6 month old boy
Symptoms: poor feeding, irratibility, diffuse skin erythema, epidermis coming off easily with gentle pressure

Diagnose the condition (species + any relevant information) and identify the cause (antigen? cell lysis? endo/exotoxin?) of the symptoms.
I didn’t think anyone would actually test on this lol. I believe it’s SSSS and it’s caused by staphylococcus, or in the case of our list MRSA. It produces an exotoxin that causes these symptoms.
Hopefully I’m not entirely wrong :D
aeshs ‘22
allopathie
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by allopathie »

The48thYoshi wrote:
Symptoms: poor feeding, irratibility, diffuse skin erythema, epidermis coming off easily with gentle pressure

Diagnose the condition (species + any relevant information) and identify the cause (antigen? cell lysis? endo/exotoxin?) of the symptoms.
I didn’t think anyone would actually test on this lol. I believe it’s SSSS and it’s caused by staphylococcus, or in the case of our list MRSA. It produces an exotoxin that causes these symptoms.
Are you B division? Because MIT/SOUP diagnoses were pretty hard. Diffuse skin erythema is characteristic of SSSS, but make sure you don't confuse it with toxic shock syndrome or TS-like syndrome (caused by S. pyogenes).
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
The48thYoshi

Post by The48thYoshi »

allopathie wrote:
The48thYoshi wrote:

Are you B division? Because MIT/SOUP diagnoses were pretty hard. Diffuse skin erythema is characteristic of SSSS, but make sure you don't confuse it with toxic shock syndrome or TS-like syndrome (caused by S. pyogenes).
Yea I’m div B. Usually the tests are not to the level of detail to test things like this
aeshs ‘22
The48thYoshi

Post by The48thYoshi »

I guess I’ll just post a question
1. What domain is this organism from
2. What is this specific individuals effect on human life
3. What is significant about its structure/appearance

Edit: Sorry for double post :?
aeshs ‘22
allopathie

Post by allopathie »

The48thYoshi wrote:I guess I’ll just post a question

1. Bacteria
2. Produces antibiotics as secondary metabolites
3. They are filamentous (resemble fungi) in that they form hyphae and reproduce through spores

Q: A 60-year old male has been HIV positive for more than 5 years. The HIV strains from his blood have a significant increase in pol gene mutations over the past year. He has been on the same course of antiretroviral therapy over this 5 year period. What is a possible cause of this finding?
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

allopathie wrote:
The48thYoshi wrote:I guess I’ll just post a question

1. Bacteria
2. Produces antibiotics as secondary metabolites
3. They are filamentous (resemble fungi) in that they form hyphae and reproduce through spores
Sorry to divert the thread, but how did you know the answers to this? Like, what gave away all of those details? I wouldn’t even know how to approach that.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
allopathie

Post by allopathie »

Alex-RCHS wrote: Sorry to divert the thread, but how did you know the answers to this? Like, what gave away all of those details? I wouldn’t even know how to approach that.
ID is super important. Not so much nationals, but PA states has a ton of this stuff. Streptomyces produces more than half of human antibiotics (and the blue color is from one of the types of antibiotics they secrete), and it is the major type of filamentous bacteria (so be able recognize this type of morphology).

When you realize that the person from Troy who won Microbes last year won gold at International Biology Olympiad, you also realize that knowing everything on Wikipedia isn't enough.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

allopathie wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: Sorry to divert the thread, but how did you know the answers to this? Like, what gave away all of those details? I wouldn’t even know how to approach that.
ID is super important. Not so much nationals, but PA states has a ton of this stuff. Streptomyces produces more than half of human antibiotics (and the blue color is from one of the types of antibiotics they secrete), and it is the major type of filamentous bacteria (so be able recognize this type of morphology).

When you realize that the person from Troy who won Microbes last year won gold at International Biology Olympiad, you also realize that knowing everything on Wikipedia isn't enough.
1. Is that where streptomycin came from?
2. That's what Campbell, Tortorra, Alberts, and Lehninger is for
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
The48thYoshi

Post by The48thYoshi »

allopathie wrote:
Q: A 60-year old male has been HIV positive for more than 5 years. The HIV strains from his blood have a significant increase in pol gene mutations over the past year. He has been on the same course of antiretroviral therapy over this 5 year period. What is a possible cause of this finding?
You’ve effectively killed the thread :P . Maybe some help?
aeshs ‘22
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The48thYoshi wrote:
allopathie wrote:
You’ve effectively killed the thread :P . Maybe some help?
Agreed. I’ll take a (bad) guess:
The virus has gained resistance to the ART via the natural selection of a beneficial mutation.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”