Microbe Mission B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
The48thYoshi
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by The48thYoshi »

whythelongface wrote:
Pettywap wrote:
The48thYoshi wrote:Explain the syntrophic model and provide 4 pieces of evidence to support it
Syntrophic model- relationship between the archaea and bacteria created the nucleus-containing eukaryotic cell
1. originated when ancient archaea invaded and lived within bacteria eventually forming the early nucleus
Not really sure about the other pieces of evidence or my answer in general :/
Wasn't there some sort of bacterium where they discovered infolding in the membrane similar to a primitive ER or something?
Sorry I haven’t been very active lately.
The syntrophic model proposes that ancient archaea similar to methanogens formed a symbiotic relationship, invading myxobacteria, forming the early nucleus. Some evidence is that archaea and eukarya have similar genes for certain proteins, including histones. In addition, myxobacteria are motile. They can also form multicellular complexes.  Myxobacteria also have kinases and G proteins similar to eukarya.
Your turn
aeshs ‘22
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Give the scientific name and a list of symptoms for Legionnaire's Disease.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
themightyweeaboo

Post by themightyweeaboo »

Tailsfan101 wrote:Give the scientific name and a list of symptoms for Legionnaire's Disease.
Scientific name: Legionella Pneumophila
Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

themightyweeaboo wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Give the scientific name and a list of symptoms for Legionnaire's Disease.
What I have: Scientific Name: Legionella Bacteria
Symptoms: chest/muscle pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fever, chills, coughing, shortness of breath, headache
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
themightyweeaboo

Tailsfan101 wrote:
themightyweeaboo wrote:
Symptoms: chest/muscle pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fever, chills, coughing, shortness of breath, headache
About that... Hmm... I guess legionella bacteria would work, I was just being a bit specific. I should have listed more symptoms too, sorry Anyways, another question!

1: Define sanitization, sterilization, and disinfection
2: Name the pros and cons of using each
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
themightyweeaboo wrote:
Well, you're partially wrong, because that's not the scientific name. You have the right genus, but your species name is completely off. Your list of symptoms are more comprehensive, though.
themightyweeaboo wrote: Anyways, another question!

1. Sanitization and disinfection both mean killing pathogens on things. The difference between that and sterilization is that sterilization renders 100% of all pathogens dead, including endospores and prions, while disinfection mainly serves to reduce the numbers of pathogens on the thing.
2. Disinfection is generally quick, easy, and cheap, and it generally does not damage tissue or instruments. An example is a povidone iodine wipe, followed by isopropanol. The downside to this is that it doesn't kill everything, and it won't even begin to kill endospores. Sterilization renders things absolutely clean, which is especially useful for things such as surgical instruments, catheters, things of that sort, but the downside is that the methods used are pretty damaging to sensitive instruments. Autoclaving, for example, basically pressure-cooks the object with steam, while other chemical methods involve dipping things into carcinogenic or highly toxic liquids/gases, like formalin, chlorine dioxide, and hydrogen peroxide.
EDIT: is it just me or has formatting been kind of weird lately?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
themightyweeaboo

1. Sanitization and disinfection both mean killing pathogens on things. The difference between that and sterilization is that sterilization renders 100% of all pathogens dead, including endospores and prions, while disinfection mainly serves to reduce the numbers of pathogens on the thing.
2. Disinfection is generally quick, easy, and cheap, and it generally does not damage tissue or instruments. An example is a povidone iodine wipe, followed by isopropanol. The downside to this is that it doesn't kill everything, and it won't even begin to kill endospores. Sterilization renders things absolutely clean, which is especially useful for things such as surgical instruments, catheters, things of that sort, but the downside is that the methods used are pretty damaging to sensitive instruments. Autoclaving, for example, basically pressure-cooks the object with steam, while other chemical methods involve dipping things into carcinogenic or highly toxic liquids/gases, like formalin, chlorine dioxide, and hydrogen peroxide.
EDIT: is it just me or has formatting been kind of weird lately?[/quote]

Good! But Though similar, disinfection and sanatization are different things. Disinfection is defined as getting rid of microbes that may cause disease, while santization is reducing these to levels considered safe by public health standards
themightyweeaboo

themightyweeaboo wrote:

EDIT: is it just me or has formatting been kind of weird lately?
Good! But Though similar, disinfection and sanatization are different things. Disinfection is defined as getting rid of microbes that may cause disease, while santization is reducing these to levels considered safe by public health standards And, about the last question A more lax proctor would probably accept that, but harsher and more experienced ones would probably mark that off. Still best to use the full name though!
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

themightyweeaboo wrote:Good! But Though similar, disinfection and sanatization are different things. Disinfection is defined as getting rid of microbes that may cause disease, while santization is reducing these to levels considered safe by public health standards
[spoiler]Disinfection does not always get rid of microbes that cause disease. Like sanitization, disinfection also serves primarily to reduce, not completely eliminate, pathogens.[/spoiler]
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

whythelongface wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
themightyweeaboo wrote: Scientific name: Legionella Pneumophila
Well, you're partially wrong, because that's not the scientific name. You have the right genus, but your species name is completely off. Your list of symptoms are more comprehensive, though.
In my notes, Legionnaire's is caused by multiple species of bacteria in the genus [i]legionella[/i], although it is usually caused by [i]L. Pneumophila[/i]. The best answer would be to say "bacteria in the genus [i]Legionella[/i]."
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”