Road Scholar B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Locked
User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 790
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Road Scholar B

Post by Tailsfan101 » September 5th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Welcome to the 2018 Road Scholar B Question Marathon!
[img]https://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/UST_slideshow2/EastAustin_TX/images/EastAustin_TX_1910.jpg[/img]

What county does Travis County border at it's southwest boundary?
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 » September 5th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:Welcome to the 2018 Road Scholar B Question Marathon!
[img]https://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/UST_slideshow2/EastAustin_TX/images/EastAustin_TX_1910.jpg[/img]

What county does Travis County border at it's southwest boundary?
...
Kind of hard to read, but it looks like Hays County.

Also, where did you get this image?

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 790
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by Tailsfan101 » September 5th, 2017, 4:11 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Welcome to the 2018 Road Scholar B Question Marathon!
[img]https://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/UST_slideshow2/EastAustin_TX/images/EastAustin_TX_1910.jpg[/img]

What county does Travis County border at it's southwest boundary?
...
Kind of hard to read, but it looks like Hays County.

Also, where did you get this image?
Correct! I got it here. Your turn to pose a question.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 » September 5th, 2017, 4:24 pm

1.  Define stream gradient.
2.  Billy is walking home one day and he notices a stream.  He measures the length of the stream, which turns out to be 5.2 miles, and the altitudes of the headwaters and the end of the stream, which turns out to be 1230 ft and 960 ft, respectively.  What is the stream gradient of this stream?

User avatar
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by NeilMehta » September 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm

dxu46 wrote:
1.  Define stream gradient.
2.  Billy is walking home one day and he notices a stream.  He measures the length of the stream, which turns out to be 5.2 miles, and the altitudes of the headwaters and the end of the stream, which turns out to be 1230 ft and 960 ft, respectively.  What is the stream gradient of this stream?
1. stream gradient = the change in elevation of a stream over a distance
2. solution:
stream distance = 27456 ft
change in elevation = 270
gradient = 270 ft / 27456 ft = 9.83 feet per 1000 feet

new question:
1. What is a tributary?
2. How can one be identified/What are characteristics of one (on a topographic map)?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 798
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 » September 7th, 2017, 3:31 pm

NeilMehta wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
1.  Define stream gradient.
2.  Billy is walking home one day and he notices a stream.  He measures the length of the stream, which turns out to be 5.2 miles, and the altitudes of the headwaters and the end of the stream, which turns out to be 1230 ft and 960 ft, respectively.  What is the stream gradient of this stream?
1. stream gradient = the change in elevation of a stream over a distance
2. solution:
stream distance = 27456 ft
change in elevation = 270
gradient = 270 ft / 27456 ft = 9.83 feet per 1000 feet

new question:
1. What is a tributary?
2. How can one be identified/What are characteristics of one (on a topographic map)?
Correct!


Answers to new question: 1. a stream or river flowing into a larger river or lake.
2. Since streams and rivers always flow downhill, tributaries will usually be at a low elevation on a topographic map.

User avatar
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by NeilMehta » September 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I suppose I'll write another:
Image
1. Identify the above image
2. How are these formed?
3. Name one of the regions in the US where these can be found
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Diego
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 4:20 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question

Post by Diego » September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm

https://goo.gl/images/jnUM3m
This is _______ County

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 790
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: Question

Post by Tailsfan101 » September 20th, 2017, 8:32 am

Diego wrote:https://goo.gl/images/jnUM3m
This is _______ County
I think that typically, Road Scholar tests avoid this type of question and usually have labeled maps to go along with the questions. By the way, that is Mendocino County.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

User avatar
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Question

Post by NeilMehta » September 20th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Diego wrote:https://goo.gl/images/jnUM3m
This is _______ County
I think that typically, Road Scholar tests avoid this type of question and usually have labeled maps to go along with the questions. By the way, that is Mendocino County.
^^, the event deals more with reading and interpreting maps rather than factual information.
anyway, my question above is still up for grabs if anyone want's one
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Locked

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests