Ecology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by MattChina »

kate! wrote:No one's been active on here for a month, so I'll ask some questions:

1. What is the difference between bioremediation and bioaugmentation?
2. What are 2 adaptations of plants to survive in the desert biome?
3. What happens to the birth and death rates of a population after it reaches carrying capacity?
1. bioremediation is using naturally occurring organisms to remove environmental pollution and bioaugmentation is adding bacteria to speed up the degrading of the environmental pollutants
2.deep roots, grooves in the surface
3. it reaches an equilibrium

Question: If the trout’s diet consists of 37% mayflies and 63% phytoplankton, calculate the trophic level of the
trout to the nearest tenth.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:No one's been active on here for a month, so I'll ask some questions:

3. What happens to the birth and death rates of a population after it reaches carrying capacity?
1. bioremediation is using naturally occurring organisms to remove environmental pollution and bioaugmentation is adding bacteria to speed up the degrading of the environmental pollutants

Question: If the trout’s diet consists of 37% mayflies and 63% phytoplankton, calculate the trophic level of the
assuming mayflies trophic level is 2 and phytoplankton is 1
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
kate!
Division: C

Post by kate! »

MattChina wrote:
MattChina wrote:

(2 x 0.37) + (1 x 0.63) = 1.37
The trout's trophic level is 1.37.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:
MattChina wrote:

(2 x 0.37) + (1 x 0.63) = 1.37
The trout's trophic level is 1.37.
correct
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
kate!

Post by kate! »

1. What is the primary characteristic of mollisols and in what biome is it found?
2. Name and define 3 different types of savannas.
3. If the population of a keystone species rapidly decreases, what is the effect on the ecosystem? What happens with an indicator species?
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

kate! wrote:
1. What is the primary characteristic of mollisols and in what biome is it found?
3. If the population of a keystone species rapidly decreases, what is the effect on the ecosystem? What happens with an indicator species?
1. characterized by a dark surface layer rich in organic matter & high concentrations of calcium & magnesium. Highly organic matter soil found in grasslands
2.Edaphic savannas are caused by soil conditions & are not entirely maintained by fire. Climatic savannas are a result of climatic conditions. Derived Savannas are a result of people clearing forest land for cultivation. Farmers cut down trees, burn them & plant crops in the ashes. Grass then takes over the bare ground (it grows very fast & has deep roots to soak up water.). Annual fires maintain the area as a savanna. The soil is porous with rapid drainage of water. There’s a thin layer of humus (organic plant material) that provides vegetation with nutrients. The predominant vegetation consists of grasses & forbs. Different savannas support different grasses due to disparities in rainfall & soil. Deciduous trees & shrubs are scattered across the open landscape.
3. overall population of ecosystem decrease. the health of the ecosystem decreases
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
kate!

Post by kate! »

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:
1. characterized by a dark surface layer rich in organic matter & high concentrations of calcium & magnesium. Highly organic matter soil found in grasslands
2.Edaphic savannas are caused by soil conditions & are not entirely maintained by fire. Climatic savannas are a result of climatic conditions. Derived Savannas are a result of people clearing forest land for cultivation. Farmers cut down trees, burn them & plant crops in the ashes. Grass then takes over the bare ground (it grows very fast & has deep roots to soak up water.). Annual fires maintain the area as a savanna. The soil is porous with rapid drainage of water. There’s a thin layer of humus (organic plant material) that provides vegetation with nutrients. The predominant vegetation consists of grasses & forbs. Different savannas support different grasses due to disparities in rainfall & soil. Deciduous trees & shrubs are scattered across the open landscape.
3. overall population of ecosystem decrease. the health of the ecosystem decreases
Correct, your turn (also you pretty much just copied and pasted our notesheet for the second question, you could have given more concise answers.)
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

Find the Simspon's Index of Diversity from the following numbers.

Species #
Woodrush 2
Holly 8
Bramble 1
Yorkshire Fog 1
Sedge 3
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Fillychi

Post by Fillychi »

MattChina wrote:Find the Simspon's Index of Diversity from the following numbers.

Species #
Woodrush 2
Holly 8
Bramble 1
Yorkshire Fog 1
Sedge 3
Is it about 0.34? I may have gotten the formula wrong.

Question:
What are some purposes of having large front paws for a badger in grasslands?
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

Fillychi wrote:
MattChina wrote:Find the Simspon's Index of Diversity from the following numbers.

Species #
Woodrush 2
Holly 8
Bramble 1
Yorkshire Fog 1
Sedge 3
Is it about 0.34? I may have gotten the formula wrong.

Question:
What are some purposes of having large front paws for a badger in grasslands?
yeah thats correct
R.C Murphy Co-Captain

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”