Ecology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by MattChina »

kate! wrote:
1. What is the difference between survivorship curves and the life table? Name and describe the three curves and three types of life tables.
2. Why are there different soil types in the cold deserts and the tundra, and what are their respective soil types?
3. Name 2 natural causes of NO[sub]x[/sub]/SO[sub]2[/sub] and 2 causes by humans.
1. Surviorship curves are graphs that show the mortality rates at each time interval hile life tables are tables that include the probability of an organism dying. So one is a graph and one is a table. 2.Climate and formation? Cold deserts have aridisols while tundra have gelisols and layers of permafrost 3. Lightning and volcanic eruptions. Consumption of fossil fuels and mining.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
kate!
Division: C

Post by kate! »

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:
1. What is the difference between survivorship curves and the life table?
2. Why are there different soil types in the cold deserts and the tundra, and what are their respective soil types?
3. Name 2 natural causes of NO[sub]x[/sub]/SO[sub]2[/sub] and 2 causes by humans.
1. Surviorship curves are graphs that show the mortality rates at each time interval hile life tables are tables that include the probability of an organism dying. So one is a graph and one is a table. 2.Climate and formation? Cold deserts have aridisols while tundra have gelisols and layers of permafrost 3. Lightning and volcanic eruptions. Consumption of fossil fuels and mining.
Correct.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

1. Name all the steps of the nitrogen cycle and the chemicals and organisms involved.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:
1. What is the difference between Batesian and Mullerian mimicry?
2. Why do some deserts contain Entisols, rather than Aridisols?
3. How does eutrophication affect the properties of the water it occurs in?
1. Müllerian mimicry is when multiple species share the same warning coloration, but all of them have defenses and Batesian is when harmless species mimics aposematic coloration of harmful one
2.They are very dry
3. Eutrophication increased dissolved oxygen in the water
I mean, your second answer could be wayyyyyy more specific, but other than that, you're good.
Doesn't eutrophication cause hypoxia and not an increase in DO?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:
1. Müllerian mimicry is when multiple species share the same warning coloration, but all of them have defenses and Batesian is when harmless species mimics aposematic coloration of harmful one
2.They are very dry
3. Eutrophication increased dissolved oxygen in the water
I mean, your second answer could be wayyyyyy more specific, but other than that, you're good.
Doesn't eutrophication cause hypoxia and not an increase in DO?
Eutrophication can also cause an increase in oxygen during the day. I admit tho, my answer wasn't the best.
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Fridaychimp
State: TX

Post by Fridaychimp »

MattChina wrote:
1. Name all the steps of the nitrogen cycle and the chemicals and organisms involved.
Fixation: converts atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia or nitrate, can be done naturally thru bacteria(ex: cyanobacteria) or artificially through Haber-Bosch Process.
Ammonification: organic nitrogen converted to ammonia by bacteria or fungi
Denitrification: nitrate is reduced to atmospheric nitrogen by anaerobic bacteria
Assimilation: organisms (mainly plants and animals) incorporate nitrate and ammonia and convert it into organic nitrogen
Nitrification: converts ammonia to nitrate, performed by soil bacteria such as [i]Nitrosomonas[/i]
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

Fridaychimp wrote:
MattChina wrote:
Fixation: converts atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia or nitrate, can be done naturally thru bacteria(ex: cyanobacteria) or artificially through Haber-Bosch Process.
Ammonification: organic nitrogen converted to ammonia by bacteria or fungi
Denitrification: nitrate is reduced to atmospheric nitrogen by anaerobic bacteria
Assimilation: organisms (mainly plants and animals) incorporate nitrate and ammonia and convert it into organic nitrogen
Nitrification: converts ammonia to nitrate, performed by soil bacteria such as [i]Nitrosomonas[/i]
yeah sounds about right
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Fridaychimp

Post by Fridaychimp »

1. What is the difference between a fundamental and a realized niche?
2. Give 2 pros and cons of a carbon tax.
3. What is a movement corridor and why are they important?
4. What is the difference between the flora of a chaparral and a steppe?
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
JoeyC
Division: Grad

Post by JoeyC »

kate! wrote:No one's been active on here for a month, so I'll ask some questions:

1. What is the difference between bioremediation and bioaugmentation?
2. What are 2 adaptations of plants to survive in the desert biome?
3. What happens to the birth and death rates of a population after it reaches carrying capacity?
1.) Bioremediation refers to using microorganisms native to the environment in clean ups, whereas bioaugmentation generally introduces new microbes to aid clean up
2.) Taking on waxy cuticles to reduce transpiration and finding ways to store water, such as the barrel cactus
3.) They oscillate; one grows while the other shrinks, and then the other grows while the other shrinks
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

JoeyC wrote:
kate! wrote:No one's been active on here for a month, so I'll ask some questions:

1. What is the difference between bioremediation and bioaugmentation?
2. What are 2 adaptations of plants to survive in the desert biome?
3. What happens to the birth and death rates of a population after it reaches carrying capacity?
1.) Bioremediation refers to using microorganisms native to the environment in clean ups, whereas bioaugmentation generally introduces new microbes to aid clean up
2.) Taking on waxy cuticles to reduce transpiration and finding ways to store water, such as the barrel cactus
3.) They oscillate; one grows while the other shrinks, and then the other grows while the other shrinks
um that was a long time ago. there r new questions now
R.C Murphy Co-Captain

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”