Page 3 of 7

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 4th, 2018, 8:20 am
by MattChina
kate! wrote:Sorry, forgot it was my turn to ask a question.

Questions
1. What are 3 major hot and dry deserts?
2. Explain the 2 parts of acid deposition.
3. Name 1 difference between primary and secondary succession.


1. Sahara Mojave Great Victorian
2. Wet and dry wet is when acidic water runs over the ground and affect plant life. Dry is when dry particles are blown everywhere
3. Primary succession is on barren earth and secondary is when the soil still remains.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 4th, 2018, 8:21 am
by kate!
MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:Sorry, forgot it was my turn to ask a question.

Questions
1. What are 3 major hot and dry deserts?
2. Explain the 2 parts of acid deposition.
3. Name 1 difference between primary and secondary succession.


1. Sahara Mojave Great Victorian
2. Wet and dry wet is when acidic water runs over the ground and affect plant life. Dry is when dry particles are blown everywhere
3. Primary succession is on barren earth and secondary is when the soil still remains.


Correct, your turn

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 4th, 2018, 8:27 am
by MattChina
Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 5th, 2018, 1:19 pm
by kate!
MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 5th, 2018, 2:56 pm
by MattChina
kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...


think about it. If the habitat fragments then there is more edge so the possibility of an edgedwelling species is higher.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 5th, 2018, 4:07 pm
by Fridaychimp
kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...

I feel like it's because smaller habitats have larger perimeter to area ratios, so they naturally have more edges.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 9th, 2018, 8:31 pm
by kate!
questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 12th, 2018, 11:34 am
by MattChina
kate! wrote:
questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?

answers
1. different calculation methods
2. Grasslands, overgrazing, agricultural practices, climate change, habitat loss
3. water pollution?

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 12th, 2018, 11:34 am
by kate!
MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:
questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?

answers
1. different calculation methods
2. Grasslands, overgrazing, agricultural practices, climate change, habitat loss
3. water pollution?


you are right, your turn

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 12th, 2018, 11:38 am
by MattChina
Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 13th, 2018, 10:48 am
by kate!
MattChina wrote:
Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.


Answers!
1. Clumped dispersion.
2. Excess fertilizer, herbicides/insecticides, toxic chemicals from urban runoff.
3. They are the pioneer species in primary succession.
4. Soybean plants harbor Rhizobium, a bacterium that converts atmospheric nitrogen into something that plants use for creating proteins.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 13th, 2018, 10:53 am
by MattChina
kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:
Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.


Answers!
1. Clumped dispersion.
2. Excess fertilizer, herbicides/insecticides, toxic chemicals from urban runoff.
3. They are the pioneer species in primary succession.
4. Soybean plants harbor Rhizobium, a bacterium that converts atmospheric nitrogen into something that plants use for creating proteins.

correct. ur turn

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 21st, 2018, 12:11 pm
by kate!
QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm
by Fridaychimp
kate! wrote:
QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.

AnSwErS
1. Allopatric speciation involves geographic separation between different groups, whereas sympatric involves the creation of a new species in the same geographic area. Of the two, allopatric is much more common.
2. There are fewer resources, and thus the biome can support fewer organisms. Further, the dry and hot climate makes it difficult for most organisms to live there.
3. The flat land and fertile soil are great for agriculture, so most of them have been converted to agricultural land by humans.
4. Pos: Suppreses methane production from wetlands (leading to lower greenhouse gases overall), nitrogen in acid rain allows trees to store more carbon and increase productivity
Neg: Increased acidity of bodies of water, leaches aluminum from soil

Re: Ecology B/C

Posted: March 22nd, 2018, 4:20 pm
by kate!
Fridaychimp wrote:
kate! wrote:
QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.

AnSwErS
1. Allopatric speciation involves geographic separation between different groups, whereas sympatric involves the creation of a new species in the same geographic area. Of the two, allopatric is much more common.
2. There are fewer resources, and thus the biome can support fewer organisms. Further, the dry and hot climate makes it difficult for most organisms to live there.
3. The flat land and fertile soil are great for agriculture, so most of them have been converted to agricultural land by humans.
4. Pos: Suppreses methane production from wetlands (leading to lower greenhouse gases overall), nitrogen in acid rain allows trees to store more carbon and increase productivity
Neg: Increased acidity of bodies of water, leaches aluminum from soil


Great answers, your turn.