Page 12 of 12

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 12th, 2018, 8:55 am
by dxu46
Etan wrote:Here's a question!

Image

1.What is the chemical composition of this specimen?
2.What mineral does this specimen form from?
3.List three other minerals that have the same classification

btw sorry that I takes up the whole screen I don't know how to do the reveal button thing

1. SiO2
2. It doesn't form from a mineral as it is a mineral, but I'm assuming you meant "what mineral is this a variety of," in which it is Quartz.
3. Amethyst, Agate, Chalcedony

Also someone answer my question above.

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 12th, 2018, 9:43 am
by ScottMaurer19
dxu46 wrote:
Etan wrote:Here's a question!

Image

1.What is the chemical composition of this specimen?
2.What mineral does this specimen form from?
3.List three other minerals that have the same classification

btw sorry that I takes up the whole screen I don't know how to do the reveal button thing

1. SiO2
2. It doesn't form from a mineral as it is a mineral, but I'm assuming you meant "what mineral is this a variety of," in which it is Quartz.
3. Amethyst, Agate, Chalcedony

Also someone answer my question above.

Citrine forms from amethyst when it is heated/heat treated

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 12th, 2018, 1:23 pm
by dxu46
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Etan wrote:Here's a question!

Image

1.What is the chemical composition of this specimen?
2.What mineral does this specimen form from?
3.List three other minerals that have the same classification

btw sorry that I takes up the whole screen I don't know how to do the reveal button thing

1. SiO2
2. It doesn't form from a mineral as it is a mineral, but I'm assuming you meant "what mineral is this a variety of," in which it is Quartz.
3. Amethyst, Agate, Chalcedony

Also someone answer my question above.

Citrine forms from amethyst when it is heated/heat treated

No, I understand that, but it doesn't form from amethyst per se, as heat treating isn't creating a whole different mineral (kind of, but no).

Also
dxu46 wrote:
New Questions
ImageImageImage
1. All three of these specimens are varieties of what mineral?
2. Name the three varieties in order from left to right.
3. Why do these varieties occur? (specifically, what elements make the mineral turn different colors?)
4. What crystal system does this mineral crystallize into?
5. Define triboluminiscence.
6. Is this mineral triboluminiscent?
7. Define piezoelectricity.
8. Is this mineral piezoelectric?

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 14th, 2018, 10:52 am
by whythelongface
dxu46 wrote:
New Questions
ImageImageImage
1. All three of these specimens are varieties of what mineral?
2. Name the three varieties in order from left to right.
3. Why do these varieties occur? (specifically, what elements make the mineral turn different colors?)
4. What crystal system does this mineral crystallize into?
5. Define triboluminiscence.
6. Is this mineral triboluminiscent?
7. Define piezoelectricity.
8. Is this mineral piezoelectric?

To my knowledge the rightmost two specimens are of the same variety.

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 14th, 2018, 11:25 am
by dxu46
whythelongface wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
New Questions
ImageImageImage
1. All three of these specimens are varieties of what mineral?
2. Name the three varieties in order from left to right.
3. Why do these varieties occur? (specifically, what elements make the mineral turn different colors?)
4. What crystal system does this mineral crystallize into?
5. Define triboluminiscence.
6. Is this mineral triboluminiscent?
7. Define piezoelectricity.
8. Is this mineral piezoelectric?

To my knowledge the rightmost two specimens are of the same variety.

The one on the bottom is supposed to be translucent-transparent, slightly brown. I couldn't find a good picture, sorry.

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 17th, 2018, 8:49 am
by whythelongface
dxu46 wrote:The one on the bottom is supposed to be translucent-transparent, slightly brown. I couldn't find a good picture, sorry.

I can't see that making much of a difference. Blue corundum is most often known as sapphire, regardless of how gemmy it is.

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Posted: April 17th, 2018, 9:15 am
by ScottMaurer19
whythelongface wrote:
dxu46 wrote:The one on the bottom is supposed to be translucent-transparent, slightly brown. I couldn't find a good picture, sorry.

I can't see that making much of a difference. Blue corundum is most often known as sapphire, regardless of how gemmy it is.

I was look at pictures earlier while making pictures for a test. The variety is supposed to show asterism/chatoyancy caused by inclusions but the picture doesn't exhibit any