Remote Sensing C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
knottingpurple
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: April 10th, 2016, 5:44 am
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Location: Oxford, UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by knottingpurple » January 21st, 2018, 8:50 am

Sleepy wrote:
Q: Contrast Rayleigh scattering vs. Mie scattering.
Rayleigh scattering is generally caused by smaller particles in the atmosphere (eg atmospheric gases) while Mie scattering is caused by somewhat larger particles such as dust. Also, Rayleigh scattering happens high in the atmosphere while Mie scattering happens lower in the atmosphere, and Rayleigh scattering happens to wavelengths of light significantly larger than the scattering particles while Mie scattering happens to wavelengths of light around the same size as the scattering particles.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

User avatar
Sleepy
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: January 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Sleepy » January 21st, 2018, 5:27 pm

knottingpurple wrote:
Sleepy wrote:
Q: Contrast Rayleigh scattering vs. Mie scattering.
Rayleigh scattering is generally caused by smaller particles in the atmosphere (eg atmospheric gases) while Mie scattering is caused by somewhat larger particles such as dust. Also, Rayleigh scattering happens high in the atmosphere while Mie scattering happens lower in the atmosphere, and Rayleigh scattering happens to wavelengths of light significantly larger than the scattering particles while Mie scattering happens to wavelengths of light around the same size as the scattering particles.
Correct!
Stroudsburg HS '18
[size=80][u]MC Barons | Tiger | North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 2 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 9
Remote: 9 | 18 | 2 | 1 | 8
Hydro: 11 | 18 | 3 | 2 | 2
Game On: 3 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 21[/size]
[size=80][u]North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 1 | 2 | -
Remote: 2 | 1 | -
Game On: 3 | 4 | -[/size]

knottingpurple
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: April 10th, 2016, 5:44 am
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Location: Oxford, UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by knottingpurple » January 30th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Q: What is the benefit from having the A-train satellites follow the same path to one another in quick succession?
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

User avatar
Sleepy
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: January 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Sleepy » January 31st, 2018, 9:39 am

knottingpurple wrote:Q: What is the benefit from having the A-train satellites follow the same path to one another in quick succession?
Allowing the A-train satellites to follow the same path in quick succession allows the satellites to gather data and images almost simultaneously. This lets us analyze all factors at one given time so we can make connections instead of the data being given at sporadic time intervals, which isn't much use alone (happens if the satellites were in different paths or weren't taken very close to the same time).
Stroudsburg HS '18
[size=80][u]MC Barons | Tiger | North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 2 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 9
Remote: 9 | 18 | 2 | 1 | 8
Hydro: 11 | 18 | 3 | 2 | 2
Game On: 3 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 21[/size]
[size=80][u]North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 1 | 2 | -
Remote: 2 | 1 | -
Game On: 3 | 4 | -[/size]

knottingpurple
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: April 10th, 2016, 5:44 am
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Location: Oxford, UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by knottingpurple » January 31st, 2018, 10:57 am

Sleepy wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:Q: What is the benefit from having the A-train satellites follow the same path to one another in quick succession?
Allowing the A-train satellites to follow the same path in quick succession allows the satellites to gather data and images almost simultaneously. This lets us analyze all factors at one given time so we can make connections instead of the data being given at sporadic time intervals, which isn't much use alone (happens if the satellites were in different paths or weren't taken very close to the same time).
Correct.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

geniusjohn5
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: January 18th, 2017, 6:57 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by geniusjohn5 » February 19th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Restarting this.

What is Radiative Forcing?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

sciolyPA
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by sciolyPA » February 24th, 2018, 8:01 am

geniusjohn5 wrote:Restarting this.

What is Radiative Forcing?
Relative effectiveness of a GHG to restrict long-wave radiation from escaping back into space. Negative radiative forcing means cooling, positive means net heating.

Also can someone teach me how to use the answer thing?

Fillychi
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 24th, 2018, 10:26 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Fillychi » February 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

Click the hide button. Write the subject, add a "|", then write the text you want hidden.
Subject|Text
I guess I'll restart this question marathon.

Describe/explain relationship between spatial and radiometric resolution (How increasing one affects the other in a sensor)

sciolyPA
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by sciolyPA » February 24th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Fillychi wrote:Click the hide button. Write the subject, add a "|", then write the text you want hidden.
Subject|Text
I guess I'll restart this question marathon.

Describe/explain relationship between spatial and radiometric resolution (How increasing one affects the other in a sensor)
A higher spatial resolution leads to a smaller IFOV, which reduces radiometric resolution, so they have an inverse relationship.

Fillychi
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 24th, 2018, 10:26 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Fillychi » February 26th, 2018, 11:14 am

sciolyPA wrote:
Fillychi wrote:Click the hide button. Write the subject, add a "|", then write the text you want hidden.
Subject|Text
I guess I'll restart this question marathon.

Describe/explain relationship between spatial and radiometric resolution (How increasing one affects the other in a sensor)
A higher spatial resolution leads to a smaller IFOV, which reduces radiometric resolution, so they have an inverse relationship.
Correcto

Locked

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests