Experimental Design B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 16th, 2017, 7:43 pm

I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby WhatScience? » September 17th, 2017, 1:52 pm

This is a good idea. I will try to get to it with my partners sometime this week
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » September 17th, 2017, 7:42 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks

Are we supposed to type up the experiment on this thread or is this just a thread to post experiment ideas on?

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 17th, 2017, 8:22 pm

dxu46 wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks

Are we supposed to type up the experiment on this thread or is this just a thread to post experiment ideas on?


To keep it simple, just give me a topic, your IV, DV and hypothesis, because typing up an entire experiment would be too time consuming, unless you guys prefer it that we try to do so.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby WhatScience? » September 18th, 2017, 5:30 am

Can we get an image of what you mean by cart.

Sorry if these seems stupid but the type of cart could make a huge difference.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 18th, 2017, 1:02 pm

WhatScience? wrote:Can we get an image of what you mean by cart.

Sorry if these seems stupid but the type of cart could make a huge difference.

Image
Image
This is the closest I could get to my depiction of a car base. What I'm looking for is just the base, excluding the divider in the center. It would also have the axles to attach different wheels on, but other than that, that is all of what I am looking for really in my "ideal" car base.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » October 20th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I guess no one wants to take a shot for what a possible experiment could be? There isn't really an exact experiment that's right; as long as it meets criterion then it is a completely valid experiment. Keeping it simple would be the most optimum choice, as it will be easier to do all parts in general, giving time to spare.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

sg2themax
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: September 23rd, 2017, 12:09 pm
State: -

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby sg2themax » November 18th, 2017, 6:52 am

OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks


Topic: How does the size of the back wheels of a cart affect the time it takes to roll down a ramp?

IV: Size of back wheels(10, 20, 30)
DV: Time(sec)

Simplified procedure:
Stack the 3 text books and put the top of a ramp on it, then using the cart keep the front 2 wheels as 20 cm, and change the back wheels placing the cart at the top of the ramp and timing its roll.

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » November 26th, 2017, 4:26 pm

sg2themax wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks


Topic: How does the size of the back wheels of a cart affect the time it takes to roll down a ramp?

IV: Size of back wheels(10, 20, 30)
DV: Time(sec)

Simplified procedure:
Stack the 3 text books and put the top of a ramp on it, then using the cart keep the front 2 wheels as 20 cm, and change the back wheels placing the cart at the top of the ramp and timing its roll.


That works, your turn
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » November 26th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Could we try doing stuff like questions (because little writeups are harder to do than questions)? I know this is kind of sketchy, but there is still a lot of knowledge in Ex. Design. We could ask stuff like, "Name the formula to calculate the average of a set of numbers x1 to xn," or "What is a controlled variable?" Let me know your guys' thoughts on this.

User avatar
zannash
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: November 10th, 2017, 4:35 pm
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby zannash » November 27th, 2017, 9:58 am

dxu46 wrote:Could we try doing stuff like questions (because little writeups are harder to do than questions)? I know this is kind of sketchy, but there is still a lot of knowledge in Ex. Design. We could ask stuff like, "Name the formula to calculate the average of a set of numbers x1 to xn," or "What is a controlled variable?" Let me know your guys' thoughts on this.


That sounds great!! I love the idea. We should do that.
2017-2018 Events:Disease Detectives, Solar System, Experimental Design, Write It do it, Ecology, Hovercraft

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am from CFMS. Figure it out.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » November 27th, 2017, 5:15 pm

zannash wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Could we try doing stuff like questions (because little writeups are harder to do than questions)? I know this is kind of sketchy, but there is still a lot of knowledge in Ex. Design. We could ask stuff like, "Name the formula to calculate the average of a set of numbers x1 to xn," or "What is a controlled variable?" Let me know your guys' thoughts on this.


That sounds great!! I love the idea. We should do that.

Okay! I'll let sg2themax start because he answered origamiplanet's post.

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » November 29th, 2017, 7:46 pm

dxu46 wrote:
zannash wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Could we try doing stuff like questions (because little writeups are harder to do than questions)? I know this is kind of sketchy, but there is still a lot of knowledge in Ex. Design. We could ask stuff like, "Name the formula to calculate the average of a set of numbers x1 to xn," or "What is a controlled variable?" Let me know your guys' thoughts on this.


That sounds great!! I love the idea. We should do that.

Okay! I'll let sg2themax start because he answered origamiplanet's post.

Anything works so long as it's related one way or another. My idea was only a suggestion, so we can go anywhere we want with this.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » December 14th, 2017, 5:33 pm

It seems like sg2themax isn't posting so I'll post the first question.
Question 1:
1. Define and list at least 3 measures of central tendency.
2. Define and list at least 3 measures of variation.

User avatar
OrigamiPlanet
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » December 15th, 2017, 12:41 pm

dxu46 wrote:It seems like sg2themax isn't posting so I'll post the first question.
Question 1:
1. Define and list at least 3 measures of central tendency.
2. Define and list at least 3 measures of variation.


1. Mean, median and mode
2. Variance, interquartile range and standard deviation
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!


Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest