Experimental Design B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
photolithoautotroph
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by photolithoautotroph »

kate! wrote:
1. What is the difference between deviations from the procedure and experimental errors?
2. What is the significance of the line of best-fit and in what type of graph is it used?
3. What would be an example of the standard of control in a qualitative experiment?
1. Experimental errors can be any source of error (ex. while you threw a paper airplane, there was a gust of wind) while deviations from the procedure are specifically instances in which the procedure was altered (ex. you rinsed a beaker between all the trials but one.)
2. The line of best fit quantifies the relationship between the IV and the DV as best is possible, used with a scatterplot.
3. The standard of control is the trial at which the independent variable is 0. I really only have experience with quantitative experiments, in which the independent variable is a value which can be raised or lowered, but I suppose in an experiment which examines the different rates at which water flows down different surfaces, the standard of control would be a "base" surface which is predefined and all other surfaces are being compared to this surface.
i wish i was good :cry:
Events 2019: Expd, Water, Herp
Rip states 2019
kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by kate! »

photolithoautotroph wrote:
kate! wrote:
1. What is the difference between deviations from the procedure and experimental errors?
2. What is the significance of the line of best-fit and in what type of graph is it used?
3. What would be an example of the standard of control in a qualitative experiment?
1. Experimental errors can be any source of error (ex. while you threw a paper airplane, there was a gust of wind) while deviations from the procedure are specifically instances in which the procedure was altered (ex. you rinsed a beaker between all the trials but one.)
2. The line of best fit quantifies the relationship between the IV and the DV as best is possible, used with a scatterplot.
3. The standard of control is the trial at which the independent variable is 0. I really only have experience with quantitative experiments, in which the independent variable is a value which can be raised or lowered, but I suppose in an experiment which examines the different rates at which water flows down different surfaces, the standard of control would be a "base" surface which is predefined and all other surfaces are being compared to this surface.
Great answers! Your turn.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”