Experimental Design B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby OrigamiPlanet » March 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Questions
1. If you were given three quartz samples of different colors, a laser beam, a piece of cardstock, a protractor, a mirror and some salt, give a topic that involves optics.
2. Should you use a line graph if the data is about measuring the time it takes for food coloring to diffuse? Why or why not?
3. List an error that could occur when conducting an experiment on Newton's First Law by dropping balls at various heights and the impact may have on data.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » March 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Questions
1. If you were given three quartz samples of different colors, a laser beam, a piece of cardstock, a protractor, a mirror and some salt, give a topic that involves optics.
2. Should you use a line graph if the data is about measuring the time it takes for food coloring to diffuse? Why or why not?
3. List an error that could occur when conducting an experiment on Newton's First Law by dropping balls at various heights and the impact may have on data.

Answers
1. Measuring the refractive index of the quartz based on the color. (idk if you want me to elaborate because I know nothing about optics but I know stuff about rocks/minerals)
2. Yes. Time as a dependent variable counts as a quantitative experiment, which you should always use a line graph for since it measures change.
3. When you drop the ball, the force you use is not controlled. This could affect how long the ball stays in motion for.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, water, and birds, yay for the third time!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » March 19th, 2018, 4:10 pm

kate! wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Questions

Answers
1. Measuring the refractive index of the quartz based on the color. (idk if you want me to elaborate because I know nothing about optics but I know stuff about rocks/minerals)
2. Yes. Time as a dependent variable counts as a quantitative experiment, which you should always use a line graph for since it measures change.
3. When you drop the ball, the force you use is not controlled. This could affect how long the ball stays in motion for.

Just saying I don't think you can measure refractive index easily without a calculator and Snell's Law, maybe instead measure the diameter of the circle of light that the laser beam puts on cardboard through the quartz.

OrigamiPlanet

Postby OrigamiPlanet » March 21st, 2018, 2:18 pm

dxu46 wrote:
kate! wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Questions

Answers

Just saying I don't think you can measure refractive index easily without a calculator and Snell's Law, maybe instead measure the diameter of the circle of light that the laser beam puts on cardboard through the quartz.

I'd agree with dxu46 for 1., but the other answers are pretty good!
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

kate!

Postby kate! » March 29th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Questions...
1. What is the difference between deviations from the procedure and experimental errors?
2. What is the significance of the line of best-fit and in what type of graph is it used?
3. What would be an example of the standard of control in a qualitative experiment?
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, water, and birds, yay for the third time!

photolithoautotroph

Postby photolithoautotroph » April 9th, 2018, 5:00 pm

kate! wrote:
Questions...
1. What is the difference between deviations from the procedure and experimental errors?
2. What is the significance of the line of best-fit and in what type of graph is it used?
3. What would be an example of the standard of control in a qualitative experiment?

Answers:
1. Experimental errors can be any source of error (ex. while you threw a paper airplane, there was a gust of wind) while deviations from the procedure are specifically instances in which the procedure was altered (ex. you rinsed a beaker between all the trials but one.)
2. The line of best fit quantifies the relationship between the IV and the DV as best is possible, used with a scatterplot.
3. The standard of control is the trial at which the independent variable is 0. I really only have experience with quantitative experiments, in which the independent variable is a value which can be raised or lowered, but I suppose in an experiment which examines the different rates at which water flows down different surfaces, the standard of control would be a "base" surface which is predefined and all other surfaces are being compared to this surface.
i wish i was good :cry:
Events 2019: Expd, Water, Herp
Rip states 2019

kate!

Postby kate! » April 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm

photolithoautotroph wrote:
kate! wrote:
Questions...

Answers:
1. Experimental errors can be any source of error (ex. while you threw a paper airplane, there was a gust of wind) while deviations from the procedure are specifically instances in which the procedure was altered (ex. you rinsed a beaker between all the trials but one.)
2. The line of best fit quantifies the relationship between the IV and the DV as best is possible, used with a scatterplot.
3. The standard of control is the trial at which the independent variable is 0. I really only have experience with quantitative experiments, in which the independent variable is a value which can be raised or lowered, but I suppose in an experiment which examines the different rates at which water flows down different surfaces, the standard of control would be a "base" surface which is predefined and all other surfaces are being compared to this surface.

Great answers! Your turn.

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”