Chem Lab C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Post by Tesel »

What is the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas? Express this value using variables from this equation: PV=m/(mm)RT. Good luck ;)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
dmis
Been thanked: 0

Post by dmis »

This question was on an invitational test: and I am pretty confident though my answer was marked wrong. What do you think:

As a substance undergoes a change from the solid to the liquid phase at constant temperature the average
kinetic energy of its molecules
a) decreases
b) increases
c) remains the same
g-omal

Post by g-omal »

C. Temperature is constant during a phase change and is proportional to average kinetic energy of the particles.
dmis wrote:This question was on an invitational test: and I am pretty confident though my answer was marked wrong. What do you think:

As a substance undergoes a change from the solid to the liquid phase at constant temperature the average
a) decreases
b) increases
c) remains the same
g-omal

Post by g-omal »

Assuming we're talking about a monatomic ideal gas, you can use Cv = 3/2R and Cp = Cv + R. These come by setting U=3/2nRT equal to Q=nCvT in an isovolumetric process. Going way back, the 3/2 comes from some pretty neat degrees of freedom stuff, but I'm not exactly sure how far I should be going down this deriving rabbit hole.
Tesel wrote:What is the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas? Express this value using variables from this equation: PV=m/(mm)RT. Good luck ;)
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by Tesel »

I'd say that's far enough, I should have worded it better, but the main thing was Cv=3/2R.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
g-omal

Post by g-omal »

Using band theory, explain how you can tell if a material is an insulator, conductor, or semiconductor. (PS: I'm not looking for "if it has a sea of electrons..." or "if it is a metal...") :)
dmis

Post by dmis »

g-omal wrote:
C. Temperature is constant during a phase change and is proportional to average kinetic energy of the particles.
dmis wrote:This question was on an invitational test: and I am pretty confident though my answer was marked wrong. What do you think:

a) decreases
b) increases
c) remains the same
I would agree. The key is marked B however, so either they are wrong or we both are.
JavaScriptCoder
State: IL

Post by JavaScriptCoder »

oof this question marathon is even deader, I'll restart this:

(Source: USNCO 2015, Local #11)

A 2.0 mL sample of a colorless solution, when treated
with a few drops of 2 M hydrochloric acid, forms a white
precipitate which dissolves when the solution is heated to
boiling. The original solution could have contained
which of the following cations?
I. 0.1 M Ag+
II. 0.1 M Pb2+

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) Either I or II
(D) Neither I nor II
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dmis wrote:
g-omal wrote:

a) decreases
b) increases
c) remains the same
I would agree. The key is marked B however, so either they are wrong or we both are.
The answer is B because the molecules are more free: this is what distinguishes the liquid phase from the solid phase. Note that temperature is NOT proportional to the average kinetic energy of a particle. Its real definition is slightly more complicated and is related to the properties of a gas thermometer and the zeroth law of thermodynamics.

See this chart:
[img]http://www.splung.com/heat/images/latentheat/phasechange.png[/img]
Some energy is used to overcome the latent heat of fusion and goes into increasing the average kinetic energy of the molecules.
(Continue with your question marathoning)

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”