Page 1 of 2

Chem Lab C

Posted: November 9th, 2017, 6:13 am
by g-omal
Consider a Carnot engine (an insulated cylinder with a piston filled with a gas). Why must the cylinder expand during the isothermal phase of the Carnot cycle in which heat flows into the cylinder from a heat source?

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: January 10th, 2018, 1:19 pm
by Nerd_Bunny
Seeing as no one has posted here in a while, I'll re-start this.

What are london dispersion forces, and where are they found?

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: January 20th, 2018, 8:29 am
by dxu46
Isn't this only a C event?

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Posted: January 20th, 2018, 8:30 am
by Tailsfan101
dxu46 wrote:Isn't this only a C event?
Be confident in your answers. Say it like this: "This is a C only event."

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: January 20th, 2018, 6:33 pm
by Sleepy
Nerd_Bunny wrote:What are london dispersion forces, and where are they found?
London dispersion forces are weak intermolecular forces that form when electrons in two adjacent atoms align in such a way that temporary dipole moments form. They are present between all molecules, but are stronger when the molecules have high polarization.

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: January 20th, 2018, 6:44 pm
by Nerd_Bunny
Sleepy wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:What are london dispersion forces, and where are they found?
London dispersion forces are weak intermolecular forces that form when electrons in two adjacent atoms align in such a way that temporary dipole moments form. They are present between all molecules, but are stronger when the molecules have high polarization.
Correct! Your turn.

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: January 20th, 2018, 6:57 pm
by Sleepy
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Correct! Your turn.
Q: Name all intermolecular interactions in ammonia (NH3).

Re: Chem Lab C

Posted: February 9th, 2018, 5:40 pm
by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
(Just to clarify, yes, this is only a C event)

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: February 13th, 2018, 6:15 am
by Tesel
Sleepy wrote:Q: Name all intermolecular interactions in ammonia (NH3).
LDFs - occur in all materials.
Dipole interactions - occur because of the partial negative on the lone electron pair and the partial positive on the hydrogen atoms.
Hydrogen bonds - occur specifically because of the N-H bond, special type of dipole interaction.

Re: Chem Lab B/C

Posted: February 14th, 2018, 12:36 pm
by Sleepy
Tesel wrote:
Sleepy wrote:Q: Name all intermolecular interactions in ammonia (NH3).
LDFs - occur in all materials.
Dipole interactions - occur because of the partial negative on the lone electron pair and the partial positive on the hydrogen atoms.
Hydrogen bonds - occur specifically because of the N-H bond, special type of dipole interaction.
Correct!