2018 Solon High School Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 Solon High School Invitational

Post by DarthBuilder »

Nick do you remember me? I was bowing to you, your highness.
Deleted
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

DarthBuilder wrote:Nick do you remember me? I was bowing to you, your highness.
Yes, that would be hard to forget. Asher was much more chill about meeting me.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

8-)

I’m not the forgotten one
Deleted
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

Are we allowed to rank our events here or no?
Deleted
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

DarthBuilder wrote:Are we allowed to rank our events here or no?
I can't see why not...

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SciNerd42

Post by SciNerd42 »

That is a fantastic ES guide! Do you have one for Division B? I'm thinking about forwarding it to our state director,
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

Towers: Suoervisers were really nice overall. If someone had a construction violation they talked to them for a few minutes about what they can dk better next time. Props to Nordonia for this.

MTV: supervisors were nice but extremely strict. It too almost 10 minutes just to check in my device but it was worth it to get knowledge for coming invites. Although it was an hour behind due to that aha

Heli: Quick and simple. The supervisors were nice and everyone was finished on time.
Deleted
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

SciNerd42 wrote:That is a fantastic ES guide! Do you have one for Division B? I'm thinking about forwarding it to our state director,
Unfortunately no, I created it specifically for our tournament which only has Division C. But you are welcome to share it with whomever if you think they would find it useful.

19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

Forensics: Test was moderately difficult and a very doable length. Used seeds and soils which I've never seen before in all of my years doing Forensics, which psyched me out for a few minutes until I realized they were all pretty generic and easy to identify. If you have done rocks and minerals before, you probably would have had a nice advantage when they asked about the soil color with specific rocks and minerals present. Either way, it wasn't a huge portion of the test and was a nice learning experience. Helpful proctors.

Remote Sensing: Test was stations and time was a bit tight at each station, but if you had a firm grasp on the event and generally knew what you were doing (which I did not haha), it shouldn't have been any problem. All of the questions were multiple choice which I suppose made it easier to grade since the proctors could use a scantron app, but it did lack a bit on the math side I feel.

Mousetrap Vehicle: I have no complaints, except for at times the line backed up a bit but other than that the event was run incredibly well and the proctors definitely knew what they were doing.

Write-it-do-it: My partner and I usually do very well at WIDI, but this model was a real curve ball. It was a bunch of lizard/gecko/shark/ray paper cutouts that the do-er had to cut from a sheet of paper and stick to this sticky foam board along with a few pipe cleaners and some string. The pipe cleaners and string were pretty easy, but it was incredibly difficult to describe the animals because they all looked the same... looking at the rubric it's unclear whether or not a specific type of gecko had to go in one specific place or if any gecko would suffice so long as there was a gecko at that location. But other than my personal disdain for this model, it was certainly a much-appreciated learning experience.

Our middle school attends the div b invitational every year so even though this was the first time our C team attended the invitational in a few years, I knew the tournament would be run well and the caliber of competition present, exceptional - I was right.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

@Nick Do you have the raw scoresheets for thermo and optics? (i.e. the ones posted here: https://www.soinc.org/scoresheets)

If so, could you have them added to the folder?

Return to “2018 Invitationals”