MIT Invitational 2018

Area to advertise for your competitions!
sciolyatmit
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: July 18th, 2017, 8:32 am
State: -
Contact:

MIT Invitational 2018

Postby sciolyatmit » July 18th, 2017, 3:23 pm

We are pleased to announce that the fourth annual MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will be held on Saturday, January 20, 2018, on the campus of MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Registration will open in mid-September, and our new website will be live in the next couple of weeks.

All of the team-friendly and coach-friendly features of the 2017 tournament will be back in full force. We'll run all 23 Division C national events, including lab and engineering events, with a schedule mirroring the National Tournament schedule as closely as possible. All events will be written, reviewed, and run by Science Olympiad alumni currently at MIT, national tournament event supervisors, and/or former Science Olympiad competitors from the highest level of competition. This means that coaches will not be required to write tests or otherwise volunteer at the invitational, leaving them free to focus solely on coaching their own teams. And, of course, competitors will experience the beauty and craziness of MIT.

We are incredibly proud that the 2017 MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament attracted teams from across the United States. Ten of the top fifteen teams at this year’s National Tournament attended our invitational. We are also proud to have hosted a bevy of new and up-and-coming teams for whom the MIT invitational was one of their first invitationals, giving them a rare chance to field-test their teamwork and skills in advance of their respective state tournaments. As always, we will strive to make every event challenging yet accessible to all.

Early on, the founders of Science Olympiad at MIT decided that the directorship of the MIT tournament would change each year to encourage fresh thinking and ensure the sustainability of the organization. As we say good luck to Stephen Tang (class of 2017) on his future endeavors, we are also excited to announce that Josh Segaran (2019) will be joining Katie Shade (2018) as co-director for this year’s tournament.

The goal of Science Olympiad at MIT remains to enrich the Science Olympiad experience of high school students across the country. To that end, we hope to see you all at the tournament in January!

User avatar
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 41
Joined: October 9th, 2014, 6:54 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby raxu » September 6th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Which hotels near MIT are the most affordable? My team does not receive funding from the school, so we are hoping to make the trip as economic as possible.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 329
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Ashernoel » September 14th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Tfw administration doesn't let us go to mit because it is close to finals weekend *tears*
NT 2019

User avatar
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 337
Joined: May 24th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Location: Acton Boxborough Regional High School
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby antoine_ego » October 26th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Any idea if Disease and Fermi will be moved into different blocks? If so which?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » October 26th, 2017, 5:26 pm

antoine_ego wrote:Any idea if Disease and Fermi will be moved into different blocks? If so which?

I expect they will be self-scheduled like last year. Unrestricted self-scheduling seems to have gone very well in the last few years, I'm wondering when another tournament will pick that up.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 269
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby nicholasmaurer » October 26th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:Any idea if Disease and Fermi will be moved into different blocks? If so which?

I expect they will be self-scheduled like last year. Unrestricted self-scheduling seems to have gone very well in the last few years, I'm wondering when another tournament will pick that up.


It is an interesting approach. My concern as a tournament director would be too many teams choosing to complete Disease during the last couple of sessions. Depending on the test, that could cause a significant grading delay to awards. I'm still confused as to why National's chose to put Fermi - the easiest event to grade - during the impound period when there are other events (read: XPD) that could use the extra time to grade.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » October 26th, 2017, 5:55 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:My concern as a tournament director would be too many teams choosing to complete Disease during the last couple of sessions. Depending on the test, that could cause a significant grading delay to awards.

The only reason I could think of for uneven sessions would be because of teams not competing. What reason in particular are you thinking of that would make teams tend to sign up for later sessions? In addition, the lack of restrictions on placing multiple teams from the same school in different timeslots would mean no need for buffer spots, so much less chance of uneven sessions.

Fermi in impound... :roll: I guess there could be difficulty acquiring enough space to do XPD in impound, but there are still plenty of other events besides Fermi. With two people, they could finish grading in about an hour (or less).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 269
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby nicholasmaurer » October 26th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:My concern as a tournament director would be too many teams choosing to complete Disease during the last couple of sessions. Depending on the test, that could cause a significant grading delay to awards.

The only reason I could think of for uneven sessions would be because of teams not competing. What reason in particular are you thinking of that would make teams tend to sign up for later sessions? In addition, the lack of restrictions on placing multiple teams from the same school in different timeslots would mean no need for buffer spots, so much less chance of uneven sessions.


There's no systemic reason to necessarily expect more schools to register in the later sessions. However, I could easily see it happening by coincidence. In any case, running Disease for all teams during impound hasn't drawn many complaints that I'm aware of, so I wouldn't expect many tournaments to switch models.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » October 27th, 2017, 5:58 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:My concern as a tournament director would be too many teams choosing to complete Disease during the last couple of sessions. Depending on the test, that could cause a significant grading delay to awards.

The only reason I could think of for uneven sessions would be because of teams not competing. What reason in particular are you thinking of that would make teams tend to sign up for later sessions? In addition, the lack of restrictions on placing multiple teams from the same school in different timeslots would mean no need for buffer spots, so much less chance of uneven sessions.


There's no systemic reason to necessarily expect more schools to register in the later sessions. However, I could easily see it happening by coincidence. In any case, running Disease for all teams during impound hasn't drawn many complaints that I'm aware of, so I wouldn't expect many tournaments to switch models.

I was mainly talking about removing restrictions on teams from the same school being in the same timeslot where self-scheduling is used. Every other tournament I know of that uses any self-scheduling restricts teams from the same school to be in the same timeslot.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

kenniky
Member
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: January 21st, 2016, 6:16 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: ABRHS --> UMichigan
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby kenniky » October 27th, 2017, 3:14 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:It is an interesting approach. My concern as a tournament director would be too many teams choosing to complete Disease during the last couple of sessions. Depending on the test, that could cause a significant grading delay to awards. I'm still confused as to why National's chose to put Fermi - the easiest event to grade - during the impound period when there are other events (read: XPD) that could use the extra time to grade.

MIT uses Avogadro I believe, which limits the number of teams per slot that can sign up

So they could in theory cap the later blocks at a smaller amount of teams or something

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 523
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby pikachu4919 » November 13th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Since I imagine a fair share of users will be attending MIT Invitational, there should definitely be a meetup. I'm not sure how it worked out last year, but I guess here's a when2meet scheduler for those who would be interested in such an event: https://www.when2meet.com/?6490326-T319x
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » November 15th, 2017, 10:03 am

So who besides the usual suspects will be at MIT? (or won't be at MIT?) From what I've heard so far,

Teams that went last year but aren't going this year: New Trier, Brookwood
Teams that are going this year but didn't go last year: Mason, Ed W. Clark

Also, I'm going to keep the When2Meet link at the bottom of all of my posts:
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 329
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Ashernoel » November 15th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Unome wrote:So who besides the usual suspects will be at MIT? (or won't be at MIT?) From what I've heard so far,

Teams that went last year but aren't going this year: New Trier, Brookwood
Teams that are going this year but didn't go last year: Mason, Ed W. Clark

Also, I'm going to keep the When2Meet link at the bottom of all of my posts:

I'll miss you unome :[
Will you be at Upenn or Solon?
NT 2019

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » November 16th, 2017, 5:00 am

Ashernoel wrote:
Unome wrote:So who besides the usual suspects will be at MIT? (or won't be at MIT?) From what I've heard so far,

Teams that went last year but aren't going this year: New Trier, Brookwood
Teams that are going this year but didn't go last year: Mason, Ed W. Clark

Also, I'm going to keep the When2Meet link at the bottom of all of my posts:

I'll miss you unome :[
Will you be at Upenn or Solon?

No, Solon conflicts with our regionals. UPenn is slightly after, but by the time we knew when regionals was most of the major out-of-state invitationals had already closed.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby Unome » December 15th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Team List

I didn't think that any tournament would be able to remain this competitive for several years, but clearly teams want to prove me wrong. Here's what I would consider the notable teams attending (no offense if I left your team off). I've ordered them roughly in terms of strength - but not precisely, so y'all please don't jump on me for putting Harriton too low or something again :P . Teams in italics are new this year.

Troy (CA) - no introduction needed (worth noting - they're bringing two teams this year)
Harriton (PA) - 2nd at nationals
Solon (OH) - 3rd at nationals
LASA (TX) - 8th at nationals
Clements (TX) - 6th at nationals
Seven Lakes (TX) - 3rd at TX states
Mason (OH) - 3rd at OH states
Acton-Boxborough (MA) - 13th at nationals
Mentor (OH) - 14th at nationals
Columbia (NY) - 15th at nationals
Chattahoochee (GA) - 22nd at nationals
Montgomery (NJ) - 2nd at NJ states
Conestoga (PA) - 5th at PA states
Boca Raton (FL) - 12th at nationals
Penncrest (PA) - 4th at PA states
Ward Melville (NY) - 3rd at NY states
Clark (NV) - 28th at nationals
Enloe (NC) - 26th at nationals

There are also a few more teams that would be notable at less competitive tournaments, such as Fairfax and Olathe North.

New Trier is the strongest team not returning, though I hear it's due to problems with the district. Besides that, Brookwood and Fayetteville-Manlius also did not return.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.


Return to “2018 Invitationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest