MIT Invitational 2018

Area to advertise for your competitions!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Their intent to run national's rules was announced to coaches via email in advance. There WAS a typo buried on their website that said regional's rules that was only fixed a couple of weeks ago.
That would explain it - I must have seen the original but never seen the update. Do you remember when the email was sent out? I've received every email after the schedule release in December, and so far haven't found anything.
I don't believe it was in the text of the email itself, I think it was in a link to some form or information page.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Their intent to run national's rules was announced to coaches via email in advance. There WAS a typo buried on their website that said regional's rules that was only fixed a couple of weeks ago.
That would explain it - I must have seen the original but never seen the update. Do you remember when the email was sent out? I've received every email after the schedule release in December, and so far haven't found anything.
I don't believe it was in the text of the email itself, I think it was in a link to some form or information page.
Hm... I don't see any links to the policies and rules page anywhere. It definitely could have been more clear, especially since it was initially regional rules.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote:

Hm... I don't see any links to the policies and rules page anywhere. It definitely could have been more clear, especially since it was initially regional rules.
Agreed - it should have been made much more clear.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Unome

Post by Unome »

On a different note - I'd like to comment on the fact that MIT has made their tournament so well-run that we can nitpick about every minor problem without writing pages of stuff. It's nice to see that kind of advancement in quality.
Userpage

birdylayaduck08
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by birdylayaduck08 »

I thought MIT had mostly the same quality as last year, with a few exceptions. They should have clarified the level they would use; I thought it was regionals-level as well, but that's an easy fix for next year. I also thought this year was much more competitive than previous years, but that's definitely something good for the amount of distance we flew to get here.

Picture This (4): Pretty good. Proctors were nice with letting us go early since one of my partners had WIDI the same time slot. I always do this event for fun and it was a great time. The words were good too; not too difficult or easy, and doesn't include stuff like 'pineapple' (from last year)

Herpetology (4): The test was pretty difficult but definitely good. I thought a few things were a bit obscure, though we get a whole binder for the event so it's fine. Pretty long and fast paced; if you want to finish the station, it requires both partners and having things memorized, instead of flipping through the binder a ton. Overall a great test and will help our binder a lot.

Dynamic Planet (2): Also a great test, I had a lot of fun taking it. Was long (~26 pages), but I really liked the long paragraphs that made you think rather than regurgitate information. I just wish we had more time to do it, instead of blowing through and answering everything we knew immediately for times sake. Nonetheless it was my favorite event to do and I'll look forward to going through the test again. This is random but the desks were really small and there were so many pages in the test and answer sheet, so half our things were sprawled on the ground a lot of the time (we didn't have time to care to clean it up). It's picky to mention but it would be great to have more room next year

Game On (55): I want to start out with saying it isn't fair to blame the proctors and ES for how poorly it was run. They made a good effort with the disastrous situation they had, with running Scratch on Linux (which makes games crash), having a ton of teams from the first few time slots having to come back and redo their game, saving problems, having to pull random people who had no experience with the event to grade, etc. The prompt was great and a nice one to do, but I don't understand how teams can be tiered for 'not understanding two player racing' when it isn't expanded on in the rules manual or anywhere that I know of. I personally thought this was the event that I did the best on, regardless of our placing, and MIT needs to improve on grading, etc., next year. Having to pull random people who know nothing about game on to grade is bad, and extremely biased with so many different graders. Finding rooms, grading so many games, etc. can be difficult, which I understand, but what happened is something that is way below the quality of MIT, and it feels almost robbed to spend so much time on a game to have it graded by someone who doesn't know what's going on.
Seven Lakes High School '19
Unome

Post by Unome »

birdylayaduck08 wrote:Herpetology (4): The test was pretty difficult but definitely good. I thought a few things were a bit obscure, though we get a whole binder for the event so it's fine. Pretty long and fast paced; if you want to finish the station, it requires both partners and having things memorized, instead of flipping through the binder a ton. Overall a great test and will help our binder a lot.
Do you happen to remember your raw score? We scored ~100 or so for 7th so I'm interested to see how much more guessing we would have needed to medal XD
Userpage

birdylayaduck08
State: TX

Post by birdylayaduck08 »

We won't get to see our tests until Thursday, maybe then?
Seven Lakes High School '19
jackway
State: NC

Post by jackway »

Unome wrote:
birdylayaduck08 wrote:Herpetology (4): The test was pretty difficult but definitely good. I thought a few things were a bit obscure, though we get a whole binder for the event so it's fine. Pretty long and fast paced; if you want to finish the station, it requires both partners and having things memorized, instead of flipping through the binder a ton. Overall a great test and will help our binder a lot.
Do you happen to remember your raw score? We scored ~100 or so for 7th so I'm interested to see how much more guessing we would have needed to medal XD
6th with 110 points
Enloe '18 | Duke '22
Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

What was a Fermi medal score
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Unome

Post by Unome »

jackway wrote:
Unome wrote:
6th with 110 points
Thanks. I figured the top scores would be more spread apart.

Random idea - an exchange of raw scores with a bunch of teams? I don't know whether enough people would be willing to participate though.
Userpage

Return to “2018 Invitationals”