MIT Invitational 2018

Area to advertise for your competitions!
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Post by WhatScience? »

windu34 wrote: As far as the TSA goes, just know what is allowed at what isnt and expect to be stopped regardless. Just don't say "Be careful, it might explode" when the TSA agent is inspecting your mission possible device (true story)
lol
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

WhatScience? wrote:
windu34 wrote: As far as the TSA goes, just know what is allowed at what isnt and expect to be stopped regardless. Just don't say "Be careful, it might explode" when the TSA agent is inspecting your mission possible device (true story)
lol
My reaction exactly.
Honestly though, what was going through your head when you said that, WIndu34?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
alleycat03
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

PM2017 wrote: Our fee is $100 per person/year. this year approx $35 of each person's money went to a windbreaker (To be used for all four years, so the actual money the club gets will increase next year) This times the 33 people who joined, and two who joined, paid, then quit (???), gives $2345. Then, we have two 1,000 dollar grants, one from the district's education fund, and one from a company owned by the parent of an alum. For a total of $4345 After subtracting our current competition fees (2 invites*2 teams*$150/invite/team, as well as 2*$325 per team for regionals, even though only one can compete, and $60 for state = 1310) This results in $3035 for resource for builds and printing at Staples etc. (I do feel as though we're over-allocating to build events, and that most study events don't need any money at all)

One issue that we would have though, is the fact that we would be having unstacked teams next year, and would use invitationals to decide. I don't think that would work with MIT.
Just curious, why do you have to pay $325 for 2 teams for regionals if only 1 team can compete?

Do you think your fellow team members would also want to attend MIT and be willing to pay for it? It seems like with the grants that you have available that you have some support from the district/community. It could also possible that other grants could be awarded to your team? Or you could do some of the various forms of fundraising that I mentioned in one of my posts above.
I also feel like some of the $3035 you have left in your account could be used for MIT, but that would be up to your coach(es). Have you told them about wanting to possibly attend MIT?

As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

WhatScience? wrote:
lol
Not to harp on this, but...
Forum Rules wrote:2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose. Users should not post two word replies, personal attacks, malicious rumors, or advertisement for a paid service.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
alylam
State: OH

Post by alylam »

alleycat03 wrote: As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.
This experience is so far from my own scioly/MIT experience it seems surreal lol. Hearing about the logistics of other teams is so interesting.
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

PM2017 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
lol
My reaction exactly.
Honestly though, what was going through your head when you said that, WIndu34?

It wasn't him- someone else that was on the team four years ago actually on the way to MIT its first year. The student was going through TSA and said that- technically, I think it was "It is not like it is going to explode" but my ID (along with the student's ID) were taken and were gone for a very long time.... And now I am never prechecked when I fly.
alleycat03
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote: As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.
This experience is so far from my own scioly/MIT experience it seems surreal lol. Hearing about the logistics of other teams is so interesting.
How did your team select people for MIT? Obviously Mason did way better than Olathe North (I mean, we were ecstatic that we finished 25th), so I imagine you probably have a method that works well for a successful team.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
alylam
State: OH

Post by alylam »

alleycat03 wrote:
alylam wrote:
How did your team select people for MIT? Obviously Mason did way better than Olathe North (I mean, we were ecstatic that we finished 25th), so I imagine you probably have a method that works well for a successful team.
We did some testing as well, but we're mainly student run with our coach having little input on our schedules. I just thought that response was the polar opposite to what MIT was to me since we drove up, don't have a returning Nats team, and have captains rather than coaches who decide the schedule lol.
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote:
alylam wrote:
We did some testing as well, but we're mainly student run with our coach having little input on our schedules. I just thought that response was the polar opposite to what MIT was to me since we drove up, don't have a returning Nats team, and have captains rather than coaches who decide the schedule lol.
But doesn't favoritism inevitably play a part then?

Also, if it is student run with the purpose of everyone getting to compete at some point in the season, what happens if one of your best at a certain event is not chosen to compete at MIT. MIT is pretty big and getting told that you can't compete even though you are doing the best in a certain event so that everyone gets a chance has go to hurt.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

WhatScience? wrote:
alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote:
But doesn't favoritism inevitably play a part then?

Also, if it is student run with the purpose of everyone getting to compete at some point in the season, what happens if one of your best at a certain event is not chosen to compete at MIT. MIT is pretty big and getting told that you can't compete even though you are doing the best in a certain event so that everyone gets a chance has go to hurt.
The impact of favoritism depends on the quality of the captains involved. Teams that do well tend to have next to none of it, and vice-versa with those that don't. Also, favoritism is in no way limited to student-run teams.

Where did you see anything about people potentially being denied a spot to allow everyone to compete?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Invitationals”