MIT Invitational 2018

Area to advertise for your competitions!
alleycat03
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Post by alleycat03 »

pikachu4919 wrote: On another note, I’ve kinda been awaiting some spicy event ratings, would anyone like to start?
Forensics (10): Pikachu, I absolutely loved your forensics test! It was extremely well written and I especially loved the Stranger Things theme. It was a very difficult test, definitely on par with the nationals test last year. I especially liked how you organized all of the crime scene samples into baggies per team. That must’ve been super time consuming, but it was really nice to have our own samples. Only problem I saw with the event was only 2 microscopes for all 12 teams (during our time slot) and 2 Bunsen burners. It was also a little crowded with so many teams set up super close together. I don’t think that was your fault at all, that was just the set-up of the room. But a larger room with more microscopes and Bunsen burners would be even better! Overall, I really enjoyed your test and you did an outstanding job!

Ecology (31): This test was difficult, possibly harder than the test at nationals last year. I think it would have been a lot better as just a straight up test instead of stations. I didn’t really see the need for the stations. Otherwise, the content was solid and difficult.

Herpetology (38): This test was super hard. Having to ID 51 specimen in 4 minutes was so stressful. I think the stations were very difficult, but not unreasonable. They could’ve dialed it down a little bit but it wasn’t awful. I thought the line in the instructions that said “if you’re feeling overwhelmed you are allowed to leave” (paraphrased) was hilarious, because after I looked at the answer sheet and listened to all of their directions I was definitely feeling overwhelmed. Also, I think the PowerPoint with sounds could’ve been incorporated better. It was stressful to try and finish the PowerPoint questions while also answering the station questions. Overall, a solid and difficult test.

This is the second time my school has competed outside of the Kansas City area (we went to Rice last year), and it was a really nice change of pace from our usual invitationals. The tests were difficult and high-caliber and exactly what we were hoping for at MIT. We came here for high-caliber competition and difficult tests, and that’s what we got. I am happy with how we did as a team (25th!), and we are already working hard on getting better for regionals, state, and (hopefully) nationals.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
shoujolivia
State: NV

Post by shoujolivia »

I had a lot of fun at the MIT invitational this past weekend!! Although I didn't do as well in my events as I would have liked to, I ended up medaling 6th in Picture This, which was pretty cool. Heading to Golden Gate this weekend, so I hope I can perform better!!
Personally, I thought Picture This was really well-run and really broke up the seriousness of the day!! I found myself having a lot of fun with my partners and I don't regret taking on a trial event at all.
Herpetology was hard as heck (cough, station 11) but I didn't expect anything less from MIT. I anticipated sounds but didn't study anything other than frogs which made me kinda sad.
WIDI was also difficult as expected, and my complaint is the room that it was run in. The size of the desks added an element of frustration when I'd shift and the sticks would fall over (unless that was intentional, in which case, maybe I should practice on smaller desks).
The crown jewel of the evening was having a pair of my teammates beat Troy A in an event.
Finally, a question to anyone that helped write the MIT tests, would anybody else be open to answering questions like with Rocks? I know myself and many others on my team have questions about material that couldn't be answered by resources through our school (such as imaging on Remote).

(p.s. thank you unome for predicting our team to come in at 22!! we set it as our baseline and we surpassed expectations!!!! super grateful + we'll try to do the same at ggso!!)
uwu
2019: herpetology, expd, protein
2018: helicopters, herpetology, widi
2017: invasive, widi
(6th place, picture this, mit 2018)
(3rd place, herpetology, cornell 2019)
lol chlorine argon potassium !!! (clark hs)
JShap
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by JShap »

shoujolivia wrote: Finally, a question to anyone that helped write the MIT tests, would anybody else be open to answering questions like with Rocks? I know myself and many others on my team have questions about material that couldn't be answered by resources through our school (such as imaging on Remote).
If anyone has questions about the remote sensing test you can DM or email me ([email protected]) and I will be happy to explain stuff.
Last edited by JShap on January 22nd, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriton HS 2013-17
Joycegu99

Post by Joycegu99 »

Hi all! One of the herp supervisors here.
Yeah, I apologize for the stress our test caused people. As a test writer you kinda lose track of how many questions are able to be answered in a certain amount of time. We definitely wrote it so that you had to use smart test-taking strategies - maximizing points across easy questions, splitting apart longer sections, etc - and we were super impressed by the teams that did pull it off. Also, thank you all for your patience during my spotty Powerpoint sounds and Royce's long rambling instructions.

Like we said on the cover page of our test and after the event, we always love to hear more feedback and answer any questions you guys might have! Here's our email addresses again:
[email protected]
[email protected]

If we get the okay from the MIT gods, I will post the raw score distribution.
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

alli_burnett wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote: On another note, I’ve kinda been awaiting some spicy event ratings, would anyone like to start?
Ecology (31): This test was difficult, possibly harder than the test at nationals last year. I think it would have been a lot better as just a straight up test instead of stations. I didn’t really see the need for the stations. Otherwise, the content was solid and difficult.
I'm glad it was a challenging test! I debated the merits of stations vs. a regular test. Ultimately, I decided upon stations for two reasons. First, it limits the amount of paper that needs to be printed (2 copies of 15 stations rather than 70+ copies of an exam). Second, I think the pressure and time crunch of stations really forces people to think quickly and not rely too heavily on their notes.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
shoujolivia
State: NV

Post by shoujolivia »

Joycegu99 wrote: we always love to hear more feedback and answer any questions you guys might have! Here's our email addresses again:
[email protected]
[email protected]

If we get the okay from the MIT gods, I will post the raw score distribution.
wow thank you!!! i'm really curious about the top raw scores + i'll definitely send an email after i study for/make up the calc test i missed.
uwu
2019: herpetology, expd, protein
2018: helicopters, herpetology, widi
2017: invasive, widi
(6th place, picture this, mit 2018)
(3rd place, herpetology, cornell 2019)
lol chlorine argon potassium !!! (clark hs)
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Oh yeah, if anyone has questions about or feedback on the Forensics exam, feel free to contact me! PM on scioly.org or email me at the address I provided on the answer sheet ([email protected])!

(I may also post a raw score distribution if it's OK to and if enough people are interested) <-- they already said no :(
Last edited by pikachu4919 on January 24th, 2018, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
slowpoke
State: TX

Post by slowpoke »

If anyone has questions, feedback, etc. for Materials Science I am also available by PM or at the email on the cover page!
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7
Materials Science - x/2/1

William P. Clements HS '17
varunscs11

Post by varunscs11 »

shoujolivia wrote: Finally, a question to anyone that helped write the MIT tests, would anybody else be open to answering questions like with Rocks? I know myself and many others on my team have questions about material that couldn't be answered by resources through our school (such as imaging on Remote).
Yes, anyone interested in getting answers for Rocks and Minerals can email me at [email protected]
Last edited by varunscs11 on January 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
alleycat03
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
alli_burnett wrote:
I'm glad it was a challenging test! I debated the merits of stations vs. a regular test. Ultimately, I decided upon stations for two reasons. First, it limits the amount of paper that needs to be printed (2 copies of 15 stations rather than 70+ copies of an exam). Second, I think the pressure and time crunch of stations really forces people to think quickly and not rely too heavily on their notes.
That definitely makes sense. You’re saving some trees by doing stations ;) The time crunch was difficult, but not impossible. There were definitely a few times where I was like “oh shoot, I have this in the notes but I don’t have time to look for it!” Overall, it was a well-run test. Thank you for working so hard on it!
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle

Return to “2018 Invitationals”