MIT Invitational 2018

Area to advertise for your competitions!
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: MIT Invitational 2018

Postby WhatScience? » January 30th, 2018, 6:40 pm

windu34 wrote:As far as the TSA goes, just know what is allowed at what isnt and expect to be stopped regardless. Just don't say "Be careful, it might explode" when the TSA agent is inspecting your mission possible device (true story)

lol
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » January 30th, 2018, 6:52 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
windu34 wrote:As far as the TSA goes, just know what is allowed at what isnt and expect to be stopped regardless. Just don't say "Be careful, it might explode" when the TSA agent is inspecting your mission possible device (true story)

lol

My reaction exactly.
Honestly though, what was going through your head when you said that, WIndu34?
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad (Alum, as of Saturday)

alleycat03
State: KS

Postby alleycat03 » January 30th, 2018, 6:57 pm

PM2017 wrote:Our fee is $100 per person/year. this year approx $35 of each person's money went to a windbreaker (To be used for all four years, so the actual money the club gets will increase next year) This times the 33 people who joined, and two who joined, paid, then quit (???), gives $2345. Then, we have two 1,000 dollar grants, one from the district's education fund, and one from a company owned by the parent of an alum. For a total of $4345 After subtracting our current competition fees (2 invites*2 teams*$150/invite/team, as well as 2*$325 per team for regionals, even though only one can compete, and $60 for state = 1310) This results in $3035 for resource for builds and printing at Staples etc. (I do feel as though we're over-allocating to build events, and that most study events don't need any money at all)

One issue that we would have though, is the fact that we would be having unstacked teams next year, and would use invitationals to decide. I don't think that would work with MIT.

Just curious, why do you have to pay $325 for 2 teams for regionals if only 1 team can compete?

Do you think your fellow team members would also want to attend MIT and be willing to pay for it? It seems like with the grants that you have available that you have some support from the district/community. It could also possible that other grants could be awarded to your team? Or you could do some of the various forms of fundraising that I mentioned in one of my posts above.
I also feel like some of the $3035 you have left in your account could be used for MIT, but that would be up to your coach(es). Have you told them about wanting to possibly attend MIT?

As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 30th, 2018, 7:03 pm

WhatScience? wrote:

lol

Not to harp on this, but...
Forum Rules wrote:2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose. Users should not post two word replies, personal attacks, malicious rumors, or advertisement for a paid service.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

alylam
State: OH

Postby alylam » January 30th, 2018, 7:34 pm

alleycat03 wrote:As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.

This experience is so far from my own scioly/MIT experience it seems surreal lol. Hearing about the logistics of other teams is so interesting.
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Postby JonB » January 31st, 2018, 4:04 am

PM2017 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

lol

My reaction exactly.
Honestly though, what was going through your head when you said that, WIndu34?

It wasn't him- someone else that was on the team four years ago actually on the way to MIT its first year. The student was going through TSA and said that- technically, I think it was "It is not like it is going to explode" but my ID (along with the student's ID) were taken and were gone for a very long time.... And now I am never prechecked when I fly.

alleycat03
State: KS

Postby alleycat03 » January 31st, 2018, 8:15 am

alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote:As for your dilema about selecting the team for MIT, I can share what we had to do this year for selecting our team. We had to submit names to the airline for our tickets way before any of the invitationals, so my coach held tryouts for the team for MIT. He let the returning nationals team members from the year before get first choice if they were able to afford and attend MIT. There were 10 of us, since some seniors had graduated, and we each chose like 3-4 events that we wanted to do at MIT. Then, my coach made tests for the remaining events, and the other team members got to take them. He chose the top 5 people who scored the highest on the test and they also got to attend MIT.

This experience is so far from my own scioly/MIT experience it seems surreal lol. Hearing about the logistics of other teams is so interesting.

How did your team select people for MIT? Obviously Mason did way better than Olathe North (I mean, we were ecstatic that we finished 25th), so I imagine you probably have a method that works well for a successful team.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle

alylam

Postby alylam » January 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm

alleycat03 wrote:
alylam wrote:

How did your team select people for MIT? Obviously Mason did way better than Olathe North (I mean, we were ecstatic that we finished 25th), so I imagine you probably have a method that works well for a successful team.

We did some testing as well, but we're mainly student run with our coach having little input on our schedules. I just thought that response was the polar opposite to what MIT was to me since we drove up, don't have a returning Nats team, and have captains rather than coaches who decide the schedule lol.

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » February 5th, 2018, 8:48 am

alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote:
alylam wrote:

We did some testing as well, but we're mainly student run with our coach having little input on our schedules. I just thought that response was the polar opposite to what MIT was to me since we drove up, don't have a returning Nats team, and have captains rather than coaches who decide the schedule lol.

But doesn't favoritism inevitably play a part then?

Also, if it is student run with the purpose of everyone getting to compete at some point in the season, what happens if one of your best at a certain event is not chosen to compete at MIT. MIT is pretty big and getting told that you can't compete even though you are doing the best in a certain event so that everyone gets a chance has go to hurt.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 5th, 2018, 9:11 am

WhatScience? wrote:
alylam wrote:
alleycat03 wrote:

Also, if it is student run with the purpose of everyone getting to compete at some point in the season, what happens if one of your best at a certain event is not chosen to compete at MIT. MIT is pretty big and getting told that you can't compete even though you are doing the best in a certain event so that everyone gets a chance has go to hurt.

The impact of favoritism depends on the quality of the captains involved. Teams that do well tend to have next to none of it, and vice-versa with those that don't. Also, favoritism is in no way limited to student-run teams.

Where did you see anything about people potentially being denied a spot to allow everyone to compete?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » February 5th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
alylam wrote:We did some testing as well, but we're mainly student run with our coach having little input on our schedules. I just thought that response was the polar opposite to what MIT was to me since we drove up, don't have a returning Nats team, and have captains rather than coaches who decide the schedule lol.

The impact of favoritism depends on the quality of the captains involved. Teams that do well tend to have next to none of it, and vice-versa with those that don't. Also, favoritism is in no way limited to student-run teams.

Where did you see anything about people potentially being denied a spot to allow everyone to compete?

My team is also pretty much student run, and I think favoritism isn't too big a deal - each of the years I've done Science Olympiad, one of our officers hasn't made the States team. Like, we have officers who are sensible enough to say yes I put in a lot of work organising tryouts but other people outperformed me in my events so they should take my spot. We also admitted more people than we can technically take to any of our competitions, so there's competition for States and a Regionals spots but since invites are on weekends, we normally still have more spots than people. I would imagine MIT would be considered more important than any of the invites we go to, but regardless, especially if you go to several invitationals, I would imagine teams have no problem giving everyone a chance to compete and also taking all their top people to their most important competitions.

Of course I don't speak for Mason, their team might be very different from mine, but I don't see how what they've said of their team format would necessarily be a problem.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

pikachu4919
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » February 5th, 2018, 3:37 pm

knottingpurple wrote:
Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:But doesn't favoritism inevitably play a part then?

My team is also pretty much student run, and I think favoritism isn't too big a deal - each of the years I've done Science Olympiad, one of our officers hasn't made the States team. Like, we have officers who are sensible enough to say yes I put in a lot of work organising tryouts but other people outperformed me in my events so they should take my spot. We also admitted more people than we can technically take to any of our competitions, so there's competition for States and a Regionals spots but since invites are on weekends, we normally still have more spots than people. I would imagine MIT would be considered more important than any of the invites we go to, but regardless, especially if you go to several invitationals, I would imagine teams have no problem giving everyone a chance to compete and also taking all their top people to their most important competitions.

Of course I don't speak for Mason, their team might be very different from mine, but I don't see how what they've said of their team format would necessarily be a problem.

My team was also heavily student-run, and sometimes, in the case that the students do more of the running of the team than the coach does, it actually could possibly be a bit better for student captains to make decisions on most of this since most likely, the captains have had more interaction with the rest of the team members than the coach has and thus, would know more about who's right for the spots. Granted, teenagers may not always have the best judgements, so, my senior year, all of us captains made an agreement that if we disagreed on something to do with making teams, we would consult the coach then and get her input from her observations of everyone, but we definitely trusted each other on making the right decisions, and sometimes, the right decision was clear enough that none of us captains really had much to disagree on. But I'm sure many student-run teams aren't like ours either, so I cannot speak for them as well.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » February 5th, 2018, 4:07 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Unome wrote:The impact of favoritism depends on the quality of the captains involved. Teams that do well tend to have next to none of it, and vice-versa with those that don't. Also, favoritism is in no way limited to student-run teams.

My team was also heavily student-run, and sometimes, in the case that the students do more of the running of the team than the coach does, it actually could possibly be a bit better for student captains to make decisions on most of this since most likely, the captains have had more interaction with the rest of the team members than the coach has and thus, would know more about who's right for the spots. Granted, teenagers may not always have the best judgements, so, my senior year, all of us captains made an agreement that if we disagreed on something to do with making teams, we would consult the coach then and get her input from her observations of everyone, but we definitely trusted each other on making the right decisions, and sometimes, the right decision was clear enough that none of us captains really had much to disagree on. But I'm sure many student-run teams aren't like ours either, so I cannot speak for them as well.

Our team at Solon HS is heavily student-run, including producing schedules for each invitational we attend. As coaches we provide input and guidance, but most of the decisions are handed by our co-captains. I personally believe allowing the students to run most of the club gives them increased ownership of, and motivation towards, success.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament

alylam

Postby alylam » February 5th, 2018, 4:57 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:

Our team at Solon HS is heavily student-run, including producing schedules for each invitational we attend. As coaches we provide input and guidance, but most of the decisions are handed by our co-captains. I personally believe allowing the students to run most of the club gives them increased ownership of, and motivation towards, success.

These are essentially the philosophies Mason runs with and things I have seen over the past couple of years with my team as well. While our coaches contribute an undeniably large amount of effort dealing with our school's admin, getting us to and from invitationals, and just generally supporting us; nearly everything else is handled by the elected captains. Despite being students, we still hold ourselves to the same standards as everyone else we put on our schedules. If ever we believed someone deserved our spot we would not hesitate to hand it over. Ultimately, we run our team with its best interests in mind (rather than our own personal interests); something I think every member has come to believe in and accept.

But that's that and I didn't mean to start a big discussion about this lol. Also, I'm not trying to discredit other teams or make it seem like we're some kind of anomaly (because clearly we are not :D).

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

GeorgeOrwell77
State: -

Postby GeorgeOrwell77 » February 23rd, 2018, 9:56 pm

Do you need to be invited to the MIT Invitational or is it whoever registers first?

Return to “2018 Invitationals”