2018 Princeton University Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
IcsTam
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 Princeton University Invitational

Post by IcsTam »

I'll post some reviews:

Disease: Very well-written test. I liked how they utilized a lot of statistics -- it's more true to the actual field of epidemiology.

Game On: I thought the theme was somewhat juvenile, but it was definitely my fault to not take advantage of that fact.

Materials Science: I thought the test very accurately met the parameters of the rules. I actually thought it was better than the MIT test. I ended up going in alone, and it was definitely too long for a single person to take, but that's a good thing.

Hovercraft: That last question was very difficult. I also thought it was a little light on fluid mechanics, but nonetheless. The actual event ran fairly smoothly, as well. No complaints on the set-up.
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
SOUP Sounds Director ‘19, ‘20
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Okay, I'll do the same thing as whythelongface:

Dynamic Planet: I feel like everyone who's seen me in person since I finished this event has already heard about my misery about not realising there was a guessing penalty on the multiple choice (and clearly roadscholar11 had the same problem), so we won't talk about that any more. It was a hard test (like from our percentage score you would never imagine we would have placed where we did), but at least it had a lot of different sections so most teams should have been able to do some part of it. The section on the floor was difficult, but fun, like, that's the type of real interpretation we're supposed to have to do and never do (I feel like most teams didn't even go down and try it though, which is upsetting). Loses points for the anime at the end though. Like seriously why.

Game On: I still don't know how I'm supposed to judge this event - the computers worked? That's always good? Maybe the event supervisors could've discussed their grading slightly quieter when we were in the room, I guess to some teams it might've been annoying when they kept trying to figure out if something did or did not count as a maze? But that wasn't like so distracting we couldn't work or something. I think like Yale, having such a straightforward-seeming topic probably hurt a lot of teams in the subjective categories because probably a lot of them made very similar games.

Remote Sensing: It's funny because on the survey, whythelongface marked his sections harder than I marked mine (I did the climate stuff onwards, which I guess more people struggle with as a rule, so I marked it being harder), but since then, I've said that the test seemed not too difficult and he said it was difficult. But not in any way that made the event inaccurate or something, I've probably taken too many remsen tests and gotten used to a lot of the problem types and I guess I just really want to see another test like the one from Nats last year. Still really sweet of windu providing tips on how to study stuff, it's really such an intimidating event that I feel like that test would otherwise put a lot of people off from trying again.

Thermodynamics: I never did this event before, and the test was definitely too hard for me to guess my way through, so that was all done by my partner - I might've handled, like, a couple of history and multiple choice questions. Impound seemed competent, the water pouring seemed competent, and I'm sure that if I knew more about thermo I'd be able to say that it was a pretty good test - in our other pairing, one of the freshmen was doing the event and apparently a problem required calculus so it sounds pretty difficult.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Astronomy: A very well written test. It was a lot of fun to take and was very well structured. A good portion required that you had in-depth knowledge of the DSOs.

Remote Sensing: A well thought out test, and was structured in a way to teach and improve performance.

Herpetology: Required that you didn't just know about the creatures themselves, but also Herpetology in general; was very long and fun.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Raleway »

Guess I'll follow suit:

Fermi: Even though some questions made me laugh, I felt some of them were ridiculous such as finding the total area of one game's virtual map. Why? Overall, decent test with the first half or so being straight up recall and the second some probability and application of guessing. The last section was interesting but obviously, the test was divided such that there were tiers of difficulty. Also interesting to put all teams in the impound slot; I had to get up really early for that and the test area was quite loud with everyone taking it- not the biggest fan but I'm sure Princeton had its reason for doing that.

Materials Science: Interesting test that tested much of what we needed to know. The organic chemistry I felt was quite harsh, despite its low quantity but being a substantial amount of the score. No one problem was "unknown," but some parts were hard to understand. In explanation, might be nice to know how many of something to list. One example was a quick "Explain the difference between a thermoplastic and a thermoset." Definitely, the wording of "the difference" means a singular reason but so many tests have looked for two or three differences and it's not that teams don't know them; it's because teams are scrambling to finish and just put one. IR was easy and didn't pose much of a challenge but the lab was interesting... no free weights for Young's Modulus and the rubber bands were really, really finicky.

Helicopters: Not the best room to fly in and was a little too small for my liking, but there was no gaping hole that many people complained about from last year. Had to wait a while to get winding and flying. Nothing much to complain about, however.

Towers: Decent table, decent stage, supervisor knew not to touch tower, but the hoop was... heavy and jagged? Don't know if it was a last minute thing but ended up being ok. The scoreboard was fine. Overall smooth

Overall, Princeton ran really well. From what my team said and other friends, there were no major hiccups. Like Unome said, we are just nitpicking, especially for this invitational. Nothing broke on Game On, and they even averaged scores which is really nice as it helps objectify scores. I would actually rate the experience better than MIT as the maps were so much nicer and buildings much easier to find (grouped together). Each building in front had a list of what was inside or what was NOT inside. Lunch break really helped us all catch a break and reset for the evening, and the awards started on time with a really interesting talk on Astro and quite the nice music from Opus 21. This is how an invitational should be run, where you don't even realize how good it is because it's so smooth and nothing veered off the path. Thank you to all the Princeton crew and staff that helped make the day as good as it was!
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

Raleway wrote: Overall, Princeton ran really well. From what my team said and other friends, there were no major hiccups. Like Unome said, we are just nitpicking, especially for this invitational. Nothing broke on Game On, and they even averaged scores which is really nice as it helps objectify scores. I would actually rate the experience better than MIT as the maps were so much nicer and buildings much easier to find (grouped together). Each building in front had a list of what was inside or what was NOT inside. Lunch break really helped us all catch a break and reset for the evening, and the awards started on time with a really interesting talk on Astro and quite the nice music from Opus 21. This is how an invitational should be run, where you don't even realize how good it is because it's so smooth and nothing veered off the path. Thank you to all the Princeton crew and staff that helped make the day as good as it was!
Ditto about the music and the speaker - normally I wish invites wouldn't have speakers, it feels like just a way of stalling while grading runs too long and I'd rather spend that time like eating or something, but this was interesting and not incomprehensible even to somebody who doesn't do astro, and the music was definitely a great idea, it may not have been science related but it was very enjoyable. Plus they didn't skip any events during awards, there was no extra long break, so I'm sure a lot of people had to work really hard behind the scenes to get everything done on time but I really appreciated it!
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that people seemed really bored, were falling asleep during the performance. The Dvorak American is my favorite string quartet, but bit of favoritism aside, the audience really could've been a bit better behaved throughout the performance. But, I expect not many people are fond of Romantic-era music, not before awards. Good touch by Princeton anyway.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

whythelongface wrote:Also, I'm kind of disappointed that people seemed really bored, were falling asleep during the performance. The Dvorak American is my favorite string quartet, but bit of favoritism aside, the audience really could've been a bit better behaved throughout the performance. But, I expect not many people are fond of Romantic-era music, not before awards. Good touch by Princeton anyway.
You can't be that mad about the clapping between movements, though, that was an honest mistake.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

knottingpurple wrote:
whythelongface wrote:Also, I'm kind of disappointed that people seemed really bored, were falling asleep during the performance. The Dvorak American is my favorite string quartet, but bit of favoritism aside, the audience really could've been a bit better behaved throughout the performance. But, I expect not many people are fond of Romantic-era music, not before awards. Good touch by Princeton anyway.
You can't be that mad about the clapping between movements, though, that was an honest mistake.
Teams were in high school... Most of them should probably know better by now. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

It was probably the best invitational I've ever been at in my history of Science Olympiad.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

The complete spreadsheet of digitized test and survey data from Remote Sensing has been posted in the Remote Sensing C forum.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2018 Invitationals”