Science Olympiad at UPenn 2018 Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Science Olympiad at UPenn 2018 Invitational

Post by pb5754 »

Was LASA stacked???
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ashernoel »

Rocks wasn’t scored because someone on our B team told the supervisor that the rocks had been moved around within each station. The supervisors interpreted this as, “I have moved Rocks from station to station,” so then they slashed the ID portion from all tests (90/200 points or something) and tiered him to last place, in a study event, lol. Also the grading was weird because the score for our other team in the test packet was far from the score on ezra, even without ID.
NT '19
Harvard '23
Synaptic_Cleft
Been thanked: 0

Post by Synaptic_Cleft »

No, there were also rocks that ended up at the wrong station unfortunately. The labeling idea is a good one for future tournaments!
JT880
State: DC

Post by JT880 »

Congratulations to LASA for completely dominating and to everyone else that competed at UPenn yesterday! I thought that I'd post a view of my event reviews here:

Hovercraft (21) - Pretty good test! Probably a bit easier than the MIT test but definitely up there in terms of difficulty. I do wish there were a couple more fluid dynamics questions on there but nonetheless I was pleased with the test quality. The track was pretty well-made; our device just wasn't working properly so that's why we screwed up. Overall an A-

Mousetrap Vehicle (5) - Nothing much to say here other than this event was easily the highlight of my day. I thought that this event was run very well and the proctors definitely knew what they were doing. Also, does anybody know how LASA did in this event? Overall an A+

Dynamic Planet (45) - Man, I did not think we did that bad on the test here. It was definitely a well-written test but I guess my teammate and I misunderstood part of the test while taking it (I'll have to look at the test myself when we have our next team meeting). I thought the conceptual questions were pretty good and that it thoroughly tested the topics listed out in the rules manual. Overall an A

Thermodynamics (39) - I thought this event was pretty mediocre in terms of how it was run. Both our team and our A team measured the temperature of the water to be a couple degrees off the initial temperature and the volumes were a little bit off. I'll cut them some slack though; this event and Hovercraft are probably the most difficult events to run properly, and it was definitely not as bad as it was at MIT. The test on the other hand was pretty hard and I wish that I had prepared more for it. Overall a B-
Washington D.C.

2018 Events
Hovercraft, Optics, Thermodynamics, Dynamic Planet, Mousetrap Vehicle
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

Anyone know how many questions there were on the Fermi Test?
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

Riptide wrote:Anyone know how many questions there were on the Fermi Test?
40 questions
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

So even though there seemed to be issues with Rocks scoring, I did want to see how including those results affected scores to an extent. So I present the final scores with the Rocks places counting for half!

1. LASA - 173.5
2. Columbia - 233.5
3. Harriton B - 236.5
4. New Trier A - 242
5. Ward Melville A - 248
6. Harriton A - 250
7. WWP North A - 267
8. WWP North B - 269
9. Rustin - 329
10. Fairfax - 337.5
11. Conestoga A - 360.5
12. Penncrest - 388
13. Montgomery B - 389
14. South Brunswick A - 431
15. Shady Side A - 438.5
16. JP Stevens - 442
17. Princeton A - 461.5
18. Lower Merion - 464.5
18. WWP South B - 464.5*
20. WWP South A - 475.5
21. Montgomery A - 485.5
22. Syosset A - 505
23. Langley A - 531.5
24. Lower Merion B - 543.5
25. North Penn - 552
26. Chaminade A - 575.5
27. Conestoga B - 581
28. South Brunswick - 602.5
29. North Pocono A - 617
30. Parkland - 652
31. John Jay A - 657.5
32. JP Stevens - 660
33. East Brunswick - 662
34. New Trier B - 701.5
35. Cherry Hill East A - 719
36. Ward Melville B - 719.5
36. Garnet Valley - 719.5
38. Merrimack A - 743.5
39. North Pocono B - 780
40. Princeton B - 786.5
41. Langley B - 813.5
42. Whitehall - 818.5
43. Shipley - 829.5
44. John Jay B - 829.5
45. Masterman - 858
46. Cherry Hill East B - 932
47. Chaminade B - 952
48. Sun Valley - 961
49. Merrimack B - 1002.5
50. Syosset B - 1147.5
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
c0c05w311y
State: PA

Post by c0c05w311y »

Overall, a great competition! I'll provide some feedback on the events.

Astronomy: Really good test in my opinion. The questions were interesting. It wasn't too short or too long (although there's almost no such thing as too long in this kind of event).

Hovercraft: It was run well and the test was good. It was a little different from most tests I see in that it had a fair amount of word answers rather than just math questions. It didn't have any really big/difficult physics problems which I usually enjoy; it seemed to focus more on having a wide range of knowledge. The supervisors were efficient and organized when I was there, which is really important.

Rocks and Minerals: A bit of a mess tbh. Besides the fact that things were apparently moved around, which has been discussed, it was very cramped and there was so little time to do so many questions (plus the event started late and had to run over time). This test was really about efficiency since it was so hard and long. I think maybe having fewer questions so teams have more time to think about answers or look through the binder is better, but there's nothing unfair about having a really long test. Unfortunately my team concentrated on getting the identification based questions right, which is the part discarded for scoring. Lastly, I generally prefer when the short answer questions provided are related to the samples at that station, but it works either way.

Chem Lab: I don't normally do chem lab but it seemed like a really good test. My only suggestion is to provide a greater proportion of points for the lab. The lab took a fairly long time but wasn't worth very much it seemed.
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

JT880 wrote:Congratulations to LASA for completely dominating and to everyone else that competed at UPenn yesterday! I thought that I'd post a view of my event reviews here:

Hovercraft (21) - Pretty good test! Probably a bit easier than the MIT test but definitely up there in terms of difficulty. I do wish there were a couple more fluid dynamics questions on there but nonetheless I was pleased with the test quality. The track was pretty well-made; our device just wasn't working properly so that's why we screwed up. Overall an A-

Mousetrap Vehicle (5) - Nothing much to say here other than this event was easily the highlight of my day. I thought that this event was run very well and the proctors definitely knew what they were doing. Also, does anybody know how LASA did in this event? Overall an A+

Dynamic Planet (45) - Man, I did not think we did that bad on the test here. It was definitely a well-written test but I guess my teammate and I misunderstood part of the test while taking it (I'll have to look at the test myself when we have our next team meeting). I thought the conceptual questions were pretty good and that it thoroughly tested the topics listed out in the rules manual. Overall an A

Thermodynamics (39) - I thought this event was pretty mediocre in terms of how it was run. Both our team and our A team measured the temperature of the water to be a couple degrees off the initial temperature and the volumes were a little bit off. I'll cut them some slack though; this event and Hovercraft are probably the most difficult events to run properly, and it was definitely not as bad as it was at MIT. The test on the other hand was pretty hard and I wish that I had prepared more for it. Overall a B-

I am not sure if I am allowed to post this but there first run was 0.8 cm off (It was said loud enough for the spectators to here) and their time was pretty good too.
Deleted
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

DarthBuilder wrote:
JT880 wrote:Congratulations to LASA for completely dominating and to everyone else that competed at UPenn yesterday! I thought that I'd post a view of my event reviews here:

I am not sure if I am allowed to post this but there first run was 0.8 cm off (It was said loud enough for the spectators to here) and their time was pretty good too.
Checking Ezra says that their score was 14.72.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

Return to “2018 Invitationals”