University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Area to advertise for your competitions!
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Post by MIScioly1 »

antoine_ego wrote:Will tests be released publicly?
That’s the plan. Not a guarantee that we’ll always do it but I’m pretty sure we will this year.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

MIScioly1 wrote:
That’s the plan. Not a guarantee that we’ll always do it but I’m pretty sure we will this year.
Expanding on this:

I was the one who compiled tests and asked writers this year. Our group tried to edit them, but there were still kinks that needed working out (I know I had to modify my key for consistency...but I tried hard to be consistent >.>). I would say I meant most tests to be regionals level...but multiple were definitely harder. Looking at the scores, the difficulty range wasn't all that bad (but it's a range, so some were better, some were worse). I'm going to ask all the ES's for key updates, then we'll post them in a few places (hopefully both here and our website). Not everyone is a fan...but I am pretty ready for that (as I was questioned yesterday).

I also don't believe we're releasing scores, but some may be okay with releasing distributions / graphs without numbers (I believe this has been done before). Also, a review poll is going out Monday (ish?), so I'm curious what teams think. Of course, I'm curious who on the forums went...

With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by John Richardsim »

MIScioly1 wrote:Regarding the competition itself, we hope everyone had fun yesterday - I know those of us running it did!
syo_astro wrote: With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

syo_astro wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:
Expanding on this:

I was the one who compiled tests and asked writers this year. Our group tried to edit them, but there were still kinks that needed working out (I know I had to modify my key for consistency...but I tried hard to be consistent >.>). I would say I meant most tests to be regionals level...but multiple were definitely harder. Looking at the scores, the difficulty range wasn't all that bad (but it's a range, so some were better, some were worse). I'm going to ask all the ES's for key updates, then we'll post them in a few places (hopefully both here and our website). Not everyone is a fan...but I am pretty ready for that (as I was questioned yesterday).

I also don't believe we're releasing scores, but some may be okay with releasing distributions / graphs without numbers (I believe this has been done before). Also, a review poll is going out Monday (ish?), so I'm curious what teams think. Of course, I'm curious who on the forums went...

With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
Hahaha, it was definitely a ton of work but it was a lot of fun. I can say that, looking back, my test (Hovercraft) was probably more at the states level than the regional level based on my score distribution, but I hope that teams will learn some new things from it.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:Regarding the competition itself, we hope everyone had fun yesterday - I know those of us running it did!
syo_astro wrote: With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
I'm a tired and overly busy senior in college. Of course, I'm grumpy, I want my sleep:P.

For more context: Lots of the people running the tourny are college freshmen / sophomores...so I am not quite as ambitious. If you're a freshie / soph, you don't necessarily have more time, but I find they're certainly more excited about trying things. I am not such a morning person sadly...
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote:With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
but it's the hardest best job ever XD
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

syo_astro wrote:With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
same tbh lol, waking up at 5:15 is not for me

tournament went well though, my Chem Lab test apparently was slightly more difficult than most teams had anticipated
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kenniky wrote:waking up at 5:15 is not for me
not early enough :P

(source: woke up at 4:45 yesterday)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Amen to that. I just can't do the 6 AM to 10 PM tournament day (especially the 6 AM part...)

Though, yesterday went pretty non-catastrophically, all things considered.

Distribution was pretty good on my Forensics test, though the standard deviation was a bit low. I'll be honest, the lab space wasn't exactly ideal, and we didn't have a lot of physical samples of things, but the chemistry GSIs and my volunteers were absolutely fantastic.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Chameleon02
Division: C

Post by Chameleon02 »

I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard

Return to “2018 Invitationals”