University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Area to advertise for your competitions!
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Post by MIScioly1 »

Chameleon02 wrote:I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year
Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
dcambrid

Post by dcambrid »

MIScioly1 wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote:I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year
Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.
This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

dcambrid wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:
This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.
Raw scores are rarely released for many invitationals. At most you know your own score from the test packets they usually give you at the end of the day.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote: Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.
Raw scores are rarely released for many invitationals. At most you know your own score from the test packets they usually give you at the end of the day.
It varies by local culture. Here in Georgia, not releasing raw scores is the exception.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote:
It varies by local culture. Here in Georgia, not releasing raw scores is the exception.
Yep, it totally varies. We have a wide variety of people running the invitational from all across the country, and we all agreed on releasing the histograms. Quite frankly, they can be more useful than the pure raw scores. I know other University invitationals (e.g. Princeton) have done the same.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote: This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.
Actually, it's both. Most invites *in the country* don't release anything related to scores. It's more a Michigan invite thing (not sure about every one, but I'll assume you know better than me), along with maybe a few other states (as Unome indicated) and one or two university invites off the top of my head.

Releasing histograms wasn't my decision, but I don't feel the need to protest it. Score distributions are often informative and focus on what matters. Among other things, they indicate how you do relatively, give a measure of how bad, hard, etc a test was, and tell you the max if you care (like with builds). Overall, they tell just as much as raw scores and help you to focus on relative results (which is what matters really).

I am unsure of any issues with this, unless you think distributions or histograms were done incorrectly. If something sounds wrong with this, please say. Otherwise, hope to update soon!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
dcambrid

Post by dcambrid »

syo_astro wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote: This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.
Actually, it's both. Most invites *in the country* don't release anything related to scores. It's more a Michigan invite thing (not sure about every one, but I'll assume you know better than me), along with maybe a few other states (as Unome indicated) and one or two university invites off the top of my head.

Releasing histograms wasn't my decision, but I don't feel the need to protest it. Score distributions are often informative and focus on what matters. Among other things, they indicate how you do relatively, give a measure of how bad, hard, etc a test was, and tell you the max if you care (like with builds). Overall, they tell just as much as raw scores and help you to focus on relative results (which is what matters really).

I am unsure of any issues with this, unless you think distributions or histograms were done incorrectly. If something sounds wrong with this, please say. Otherwise, hope to update soon!
But this is Michigan and that is the standard in Michigan. Just keep in mind if teams feel like they are not getting the full benefit of coming to the tournament, they may not return. I don't understand the secrecy, that is one of the big takeaways we get from invitationals.
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Releasing raw scores violates FERPA.
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

dcambrid wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

But this is Michigan and that is the standard in Michigan. Just keep in mind if teams feel like they are not getting the full benefit of coming to the tournament, they may not return. I don't understand the secrecy, that is one of the big takeaways we get from invitationals.
We might have to agree to disagree on this one. As a student who competed in MI for six years, I totally understand that most tournaments here release their raw scores to teams. Several members of our board raised valid concerns to releasing them, and releasing the histograms was a compromise that we all liked. We 100% feel that you will attain all of the same information from the histograms that you would from the pure raw scores. In fact, in some cases, you may get more information. For example, raw scores in Hovercraft don't tell you much, since they are curved. Four of the histograms are in the test folder already (Mat sci, Chem lab, Fermi, and Hovercraft) with more to come when I finish studying tonight or tomorrow. With Chem Lab and Fermi, the distribution is also done question-by-question, so teams know how hard each individual question was (thanks kenniky!). Unfortunately, I did not collect such data on Hovercraft and Mat Sci, and obviously, we do not have the tests anymore!

If you have concerns, or specific requests for information to be placed on the histogram, please feel free to message me, although I cannot guarantee I'll respond tonight. Midterms... *sigh*.

Also, kenniky is correct saying that the raw scores release violates FERPA, and we did not collect waivers from students on that. Among other things, that was one of the concerns of our board. As we are a University group, we have to be very careful to comply with University policies (as you know from all of the paperwork you had to bring for your students!).
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Tesel »

dcambrid wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

The full benefit of coming to the tournament was well-written tests (by professors or committed students) and a competitive group of teams. As such, it follows the standards of national invitationals. Although raw scores were not released, teams had the opportunity to see their own personal results and find areas of improvement.

Also, it is certainly possible to use the histograms as general guidelines of comparisons without violating FERPA.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions

Return to “2018 Invitationals”