University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Area to advertise for your competitions!
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: University of Michigan SciOly Invitational!!!

Postby MIScioly1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 pm

antoine_ego wrote:Will tests be released publicly?

That’s the plan. Not a guarantee that we’ll always do it but I’m pretty sure we will this year.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm

MIScioly1 wrote:

That’s the plan. Not a guarantee that we’ll always do it but I’m pretty sure we will this year.

Expanding on this:

I was the one who compiled tests and asked writers this year. Our group tried to edit them, but there were still kinks that needed working out (I know I had to modify my key for consistency...but I tried hard to be consistent >.>). I would say I meant most tests to be regionals level...but multiple were definitely harder. Looking at the scores, the difficulty range wasn't all that bad (but it's a range, so some were better, some were worse). I'm going to ask all the ES's for key updates, then we'll post them in a few places (hopefully both here and our website). Not everyone is a fan...but I am pretty ready for that (as I was questioned yesterday).

I also don't believe we're releasing scores, but some may be okay with releasing distributions / graphs without numbers (I believe this has been done before). Also, a review poll is going out Monday (ish?), so I'm curious what teams think. Of course, I'm curious who on the forums went...

With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby John Richardsim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm

MIScioly1 wrote:Regarding the competition itself, we hope everyone had fun yesterday - I know those of us running it did!

syo_astro wrote:With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

MIScioly1

Postby MIScioly1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

syo_astro wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:

Expanding on this:

I was the one who compiled tests and asked writers this year. Our group tried to edit them, but there were still kinks that needed working out (I know I had to modify my key for consistency...but I tried hard to be consistent >.>). I would say I meant most tests to be regionals level...but multiple were definitely harder. Looking at the scores, the difficulty range wasn't all that bad (but it's a range, so some were better, some were worse). I'm going to ask all the ES's for key updates, then we'll post them in a few places (hopefully both here and our website). Not everyone is a fan...but I am pretty ready for that (as I was questioned yesterday).

I also don't believe we're releasing scores, but some may be okay with releasing distributions / graphs without numbers (I believe this has been done before). Also, a review poll is going out Monday (ish?), so I'm curious what teams think. Of course, I'm curious who on the forums went...

With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.

Hahaha, it was definitely a ton of work but it was a lot of fun. I can say that, looking back, my test (Hovercraft) was probably more at the states level than the regional level based on my score distribution, but I hope that teams will learn some new things from it.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:53 pm

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:Regarding the competition itself, we hope everyone had fun yesterday - I know those of us running it did!

syo_astro wrote:With all that said, I never want to help run a tourny ever again T_T.

I'm a tired and overly busy senior in college. Of course, I'm grumpy, I want my sleep:P.

For more context: Lots of the people running the tourny are college freshmen / sophomores...so I am not quite as ambitious. If you're a freshie / soph, you don't necessarily have more time, but I find they're certainly more excited about trying things. I am not such a morning person sadly...
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm

but it's the hardest best job ever XD
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

kenniky
State: MA

Postby kenniky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 am

same tbh lol, waking up at 5:15 is not for me

tournament went well though, my Chem Lab test apparently was slightly more difficult than most teams had anticipated

Unome

Postby Unome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am

kenniky wrote:waking up at 5:15 is not for me

not early enough :P

(source: woke up at 4:45 yesterday)
Userpage

AlphaTauri
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 am

Amen to that. I just can't do the 6 AM to 10 PM tournament day (especially the 6 AM part...)

Though, yesterday went pretty non-catastrophically, all things considered.

Distribution was pretty good on my Forensics test, though the standard deviation was a bit low. I'll be honest, the lab space wasn't exactly ideal, and we didn't have a lot of physical samples of things, but the chemistry GSIs and my volunteers were absolutely fantastic.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Chameleon02
Division: C

Postby Chameleon02 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 pm

I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year

MIScioly1

Postby MIScioly1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Chameleon02 wrote:I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year

Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.

dcambrid

Postby dcambrid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 am

MIScioly1 wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote:I competed at UMich, took a few medals home, and our team won a trophy so good experience for us. If you guys are releasing scores, I was interested though in hearing what the RAW scores were for towers. All in all I had a great time (except when I sprinted .75 miles to the East building and almost slipped in ice) and definitely plan on coming back next year

Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.

This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 am

dcambrid wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:

This is an invitational, raw scores are generally released at the least the ones our team has gone to. Isn't that a known coming in? If you want anonymity, don't go to invitationals.

Raw scores are rarely released for many invitationals. At most you know your own score from the test packets they usually give you at the end of the day.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

Unome

Postby Unome » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 am

antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:Glad you had fun! I’m compiling frequency distributions and making histograms right now, they will be released tonight or tomorrow hopefully. We opted not to release the pure raw scores to protect team anonymity but these will give you a very good idea of where you stand.

Raw scores are rarely released for many invitationals. At most you know your own score from the test packets they usually give you at the end of the day.

It varies by local culture. Here in Georgia, not releasing raw scores is the exception.
Userpage

MIScioly1

Postby MIScioly1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 am

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
dcambrid wrote:

It varies by local culture. Here in Georgia, not releasing raw scores is the exception.

Yep, it totally varies. We have a wide variety of people running the invitational from all across the country, and we all agreed on releasing the histograms. Quite frankly, they can be more useful than the pure raw scores. I know other University invitationals (e.g. Princeton) have done the same.

Return to “2018 Invitationals”