Golden Gate Science Olympiad Invitational (C)

Area to advertise for your competitions!
Rêveur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Golden Gate Science Olympiad Invitational (C)

Post by Rêveur »

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

1. Troy A (108)
2. Troy B (127)
3. Albany White (195)
4. Mountain View (258)
5. Camas (265)
6. Bayard Rustin (288)
7. Palo Alto Green (292)
8. Clark Black (299)
9. Brookwood A (340)
10. Monta Vista Purple (353)

I honestly had never heard of Albany before today, but they seem to have been on anupward swing at NorCal States recently, going from 13th to 5th, and now this. Camas and Clark are also especially strong this year (though we definitely knew the latter after their MIT results).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:1. Troy A (108)
2. Troy B (127)
3. Albany White (195)
4. Mountain View (258)
5. Camas (265)
6. Bayard Rustin (288)
7. Palo Alto Green (292)
8. Clark Black (299)
9. Brookwood A (340)

I honestly had never heard of Albany before today, but they seem to have been on anupward swing at NorCal States recently, going from 13th to 5th, and now this. Camas and Clark are also especially strong this year (though we definitely knew the latter after their MIT results).
Im a little shocked at the excessively low Mira Loma scores. Even unstacked, I would have expected them to be contending with Troy for top places in each event, but it doesnt look to be the case.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
CalColin

Post by CalColin »

Hi all!

Massive thanks to everyone who came to Berkeley to compete yesterday; we all had a blast and hope you did too!

Our undying gratitude belongs to our volunteers and events staff (some of whom flew in from Texas!) who kept the competition running as smooth as possible - they're a tournament director's dream.

As you have seen, results are up. Congratulations to Troy on a spectacular performance! We were deeply impressed by the level of competition they brought to the field.

Soon, we'll be sending out feedback forms for students and coaches to fill out. We do this so that we can improve our tournament for next year, meaning your feedback figures heavily into our planning process! Other questions, comments, and concerns can be directed to our inbox at [email protected].

Planning for our third annual invitational for the 2018-19 season will start soon. Maybe we'll finally be able to host a tournament at Stanford? Stay tuned for details!

Once more, on behalf of the entire GGSO team, thank you!

-Colin
Wellwood Middle School SO 2008-10
Fayetteville-Manlius High School SO 2010-13
Science Olympiad at Cornell 2014-2017
Golden Gate SO 2017-Present
Host Committee, Science Olympiad National Tournament at Cornell University, 2019
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

2. Troy B (127)
3. Albany White (195)
4. Mountain View (258)
5. Camas (265)
6. Bayard Rustin (288)
7. Palo Alto Green (292)
8. Clark Black (299)
9. Brookwood A (340)

Albany did well at the Tracy Invitational also finishing third behind Monta Vista and Mountain View. As I recall they had one bad event or they would have had about the same score as the winning Mountain View team.
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

windu34 wrote:
2. Troy B (127)
3. Albany White (195)
4. Mountain View (258)
5. Camas (265)
6. Bayard Rustin (288)
7. Palo Alto Green (292)
8. Clark Black (299)
9. Brookwood A (340)

Im a little shocked at the excessively low Mira Loma scores. Even unstacked, I would have expected them to be contending with Troy for top places in each event, but it doesnt look to be the case.
But if you look at Mira Loma's composite score between both teams, I think you'll find that they are still (probably) better than any other NorCal team. I would agree that the gap appears to be closer between Mira Loma and teams like Albany, Mountain View and Palo Alto.
Rêveur

Post by Rêveur »

mnoga wrote:
windu34 wrote:
2. Troy B (127)
3. Albany White (195)
4. Mountain View (258)
5. Camas (265)
6. Bayard Rustin (288)
7. Palo Alto Green (292)
8. Clark Black (299)
9. Brookwood A (340)

But if you look at Mira Loma's composite score between both teams, I think you'll find that they are still (probably) better than any other NorCal team. I would agree that the gap appears to be closer between Mira Loma and teams like Albany, Mountain View and Palo Alto.
What do you guys think happened with Mira Loma? I remember they had 3 teams at the ML tournament on the 6th of January. Are they hiding their talent / best builds?
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

Rêveur wrote:
mnoga wrote:
windu34 wrote: Im a little shocked at the excessively low Mira Loma scores. Even unstacked, I would have expected them to be contending with Troy for top places in each event, but it doesnt look to be the case.
What do you guys think happened with Mira Loma? I remember they had 3 teams at the ML tournament on the 6th of January. Are they hiding their talent / best builds?
No idea, I would find that to be an odd strategy as it would have you miss valuable time to test your builds, notes or partnerships. I have heard from some Mira Loma competitors that they lost a lot of key seniors last year, maybe they will have low year this year and then next year they will be competitive again.
connerywood18

Post by connerywood18 »

Kyanite wrote:
Rêveur wrote:
mnoga wrote:
No idea, I would find that to be an odd strategy as it would have you miss valuable time to test your builds, notes or partnerships. I have heard from some Mira Loma competitors that they lost a lot of key seniors last year, maybe they will have low year this year and then next year they will be competitive again.
And you can bet all of the other three teams will be racing for the nationals spot while Mira Loma is down.
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

connerywood18 wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
Rêveur wrote:
And you can bet all of the other three teams will be racing for the nationals spot while Mira Loma is down.
thats very true
Last edited by Kyanite on February 3rd, 2018, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2018 Invitationals”