Yale Invite

Area to advertise for your competitions!
knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Yale Invite

Post by knottingpurple »

Remote Sensing: Ditto on what whythelongface said, it was a good quality test, they focused properly on this year's relevant topics and the science of remote sensing rather than just being a string of vocab questions. It would have been a bad test to take as your first remsen test, though, like if you were put in the event just to try it out and struggled through that I don't imagine you'd want to do it again, which is sad because it's a lovely event, but for separating top teams it was very good.

Dynamic Planet: Also zero multiple choice questions! It was a super long test but they tried to take common things and turn them on their head - I had a lot of fun with the drawing on question 17, although I may have ignored the instruction to read through all the events before starting and had to just scribble over my first try and do another smaller version in the corner. And it had lots of explanation portions, rather than just statements of names or whatever.

Game On: I'd never done this event before, but it seemed fine, the ES had a momentary memory lapse where she didn't tell us what the topic was but then she realised.

Also, whythelongface, I'm sorry the lemonade was bad, and I sat on the floor with your lunch across from the front door of your fermi room waiting for you to come out why did you have to go out the back door.

EDIT: Also, my mum was one of the RemSen graders (a Yale student graded all 4 West Windsor tests though), and Acton-Boxborough B was the first one she graded so she was like wow these kids know their stuff! But then later she had sometimes 3 tests in a row saying that carbon dioxide was important in the atmosphere because it destroys the ozone layer, and... carbon dioxide does not destroy the ozone layer. So that made her really sad. But congrats to Acton for doing really well overall and also impressing my climate scientist mum!
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
poonicle
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by poonicle »

Disease Detectives: test was too short (we had like 20 min left? it was crazy) and i automatically lose respect for a disease test with multiple choice, so... lol. the legit epidemiology part was good, if a bit too easy idek. the trivia multiple choice was kinda out of nowhere so my partner and i had to make our best guesses :')

Fermi: i was able to use stuff that i memmed for once! kinda nice.

Game On: it was run well, i particularly enjoyed the guy who wrote that the game type was an MMORPG before the time started :D the computers weren't laggy or anything, so i considered it to be a lot better than what went down last week

tbh the guy's speech during the awards ceremony was actually really good and relatable

yale's campus is also really really pretty

EDIT: my buddy technoal also medalled in heli. definitely clutch. i was proud.
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

knottingpurple wrote:
EDIT: Also, my mum was one of the RemSen graders (a Yale student graded all 4 West Windsor tests though), and Acton-Boxborough B was the first one she graded so she was like wow these kids know their stuff! But then later she had sometimes 3 tests in a row saying that carbon dioxide was important in the atmosphere because it destroys the ozone layer, and... carbon dioxide does not destroy the ozone layer. So that made her really sad. But congrats to Acton for doing really well overall and also impressing my climate scientist mum!
I'll pass that along :) Congrats to your team!
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
technoal9

Post by technoal9 »

poonicle wrote:Disease Detectives: test was too short (we had like 20 min left? it was crazy) and i automatically lose respect for a disease test with multiple choice, so... lol. the legit epidemiology part was good, if a bit too easy idek. the trivia multiple choice was kinda out of nowhere so my partner and i had to make our best guesses :')

Fermi: i was able to use stuff that i memmed for once! kinda nice.

Game On: it was run well, i particularly enjoyed the guy who wrote that the game type was an MMORPG before the time started :D the computers weren't laggy or anything, so i considered it to be a lot better than what went down last week

tbh the guy's speech during the awards ceremony was actually really good and relatable

yale's campus is also really really pretty

EDIT: my buddy technoal also medalled in heli. definitely clutch. i was proud.
Thanks for support!

Heli-I know that the original location was meant to be a gym, but the location that we ended up flying with was pretty bad for the event. They chose a narrow hallway with a pretty short roof which was pretty sketchy. I know a member of a team ended up wasting their first run because they launched a little sideways and as their heli was straightening out they ended up crashing, ruining their run and chance at the time bonus. For me, everything went pretty well. Funny story my whole heli basically died Friday night, and I spent the whole night rebuilding it. Then after 3 hours of sleep we arrived at Yale, and first block I finished my heli and cut the rubber for use. Then during block 4 we tested it in the hallway outside our room and snapped our rubber bands and broke another propellor. Then I scrambled to rebuild, and without testing, we arrived at the venue late and panicked, and then somehow everything flew surprisingly perfectly, and we got a medal.

Game-On- topic was really generic and not something that could really show creativity and differentiate you from your opponents.

WIDI- told the writers there was a back side, did not tell the builders that there was a backside. Other than that the test was really simple

Note:Poonicle please change your avatar, you have already infuriated all other teammates doing game-on
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

technoal9 wrote: Note:Poonicle please change your avatar, you have already infuriated all other teammates doing game-on
Dude chill
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
inycepoo

Post by inycepoo »

poonicle wrote:tbh the guy's speech during the awards ceremony was actually really good and relatable
Thanks bruh I appreciate that tho. Didn't wanna be that guy who just droned on for no reason. Good to have you around
Benjamin N. Cardozo represent

2010 New York City Metro Regionals:
Ecology
Mousetrap Vehicle
Sumobots
Trajectory

Return to “2018 Invitationals”