New York 2018

User avatar
NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby NeilMehta » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Piggy wrote:Since trial events do not count towards teams' scores at regionals or states, should teams just not prepare for them? (referring more to Parasitology than Duct Tape Challenge)

IMO, it could be helpful in the future if the event is used as a full event
R.C. Murphy JHS Science Olympiad
my events tend to deal with really big things or really tiny things

User avatar
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:42 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: At some point (x,y,z) at some time t
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby whythelongface » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Piggy wrote:Since trial events do not count towards teams' scores at regionals or states, should teams just not prepare for them? (referring more to Parasitology than Duct Tape Challenge)

In my state, where they do impact the score, we generally have alternates do the trial events. I don't know whether NY allows alternates, but if they do, it doesn't hurt to have more people gain experience competing, when they normally wouldn't have the chance to do so. If alternates are not allowed, then I see no point in preparing for the trial events.
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?
West Windsor Plainsboro High School South '18

User avatar
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 am
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby raxu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Here's how my school/region is doing it.

At regionals, the preparation of trial events doesn't impact which school team you are on. If you think it's a lot of fun (go Quiz Bowl!), then you can prepare and compete! The region puts the events on a lunch block so there is little conflict :)

At states, we reserve the trial events for alternates. This way everyone have fun!
Richard A. Xu
Events involved 17/18: Astro, Chem, Fermi, Game, Mat Sci, Optics, Thermo.

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby SPP SciO » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Piggy wrote:Since trial events do not count towards teams' scores at regionals or states, should teams just not prepare for them? (referring more to Parasitology than Duct Tape Challenge)


Referring to NYC B only - At regionals, the only trial events offered will be Quiz Bowl & Duct Tape Challenge. The first part of QB conflicts with other events, so students with time to spare will enter that (game time decision!). The DTC is at the very end, not conflicting with other events (besides QB finals) so on our team, it'll be assigned at coaches' discretion - maybe someone really wants to do it, or someone has a very light schedule, or had a terrible morning and needs something to look forward to.

Providing we qualify for the state tournament, the trial events will be for the alternates we bring along. I don't even plan on introducing parasitology until after the regional tournament, and it will be a useful way to differentiate between hard-working students who competed on the "B" team at regionals and all want to come to states.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

User avatar
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:01 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: WEHS
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby JasperKota » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm

SPP SciO wrote:
Piggy wrote:Providing we qualify for the state tournament, the trial events will be for the alternates we bring along. I don't even plan on introducing parasitology until after the regional tournament, and it will be a useful way to differentiate between hard-working students who competed on the "B" team at regionals and all want to come to states.


Will alternates be allowed to compete at state trial events, since only one team is allowed (assuming your team is a full 15 members)?
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Postby SPP SciO » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 pm

JasperKota wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
Piggy wrote:Providing we qualify for the state tournament, the trial events will be for the alternates we bring along. I don't even plan on introducing parasitology until after the regional tournament, and it will be a useful way to differentiate between hard-working students who competed on the "B" team at regionals and all want to come to states.


Will alternates be allowed to compete at state trial events, since only one team is allowed (assuming your team is a full 15 members)?


Yes they will: http://www.newyorkscioly.org/wp-content ... -09-09.pdf (specifically 1-b)
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com


Return to “Regionals and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest