Georgia 2018

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome »

rfscoach wrote:Unome: Any predictions for this weekend?
Plenty :)

South Georgia State College:
1. Eighth Street - After finishing 9th at state last year, I think they stand a good chance of winning - I'd call it near-definite except for the small size of the tournament and lack of invitationals.
2. South Effingham - Has a history of success, though they've stopped winning regionals often these days. Should still be fine though.
3. Gatewood - Frequent state qualifier, though they tend not to do so well (I believe they were near-last place in 2017).

Columbus State University:
1. Bennett's Mill - With Blackmon Road falling in recent years, Bennett's Mill is a strong contender to beat them at regionals.
2. Blackmon Road - See above, although I do think it could easily go either way.
3. Madras - I have no idea. They've qualified for state before, so I figure they're at least decent. Arnold Magnet or Richards would be my other picks for this spot.

Gordon State College:
1. Northgate - Relatively easy pick for first, especially after beating McIntosh at regionals last year; though they have lagged a bit at invitationals and at state, they should be fine.
2. Whitewater - Often overshadowed because they haven't qualified for state recently, they probably have a shot at taking this, seeing as there aren't that many regularly strong teams here.
3. East Coweta - Invitational results don't show much this year, nor have they qualified for state recently (although in my opinion the region will probably get 2 bids). I just can't think of any other team able to beat them though.

East Georgia State College:
1. Lakeside - Frequent state qualifier and coming off a 10th place finish at state. Combined with a relatively weak field, they have a good chance of winning.
2. Augusta Area Homeschoolers - Their peak teams from Div B would have graduated, so I'm not sure how they'll do. However, they've only had one year of success in Div C so far - I think they'll qualify again.
3. Southeast Bulloch - Semi-frequent state qualifier - even though they finished 24th at state last year, I wouldn't consider that indicative because of the points cutoff at 13.

University of Georgia:
1. Duluth - Regularly top 10 in the state (though they were 11th last year), they should be the favorite to win, despite a relatively weak finish at Brookwood compared to a few other teams here.
2. Fulton Science Academy - Will definitely take regionals seriously and based on Brookwood results, could even beat Duluth - though I'd bet against it because of Duluth's depth.
3. South Forsyth - Uncommonly strong performance at Brookwood combined with not facing off against the top 3 teams in the state makes their qualification chances much higher than last year.
4. River Ridge - perennial state qualifier that took the fourth spot at Dahlonega last year, pretty likely to qualify. Could be higher than this, I'm just not sure.
If the region gets a fifth bid (in my opinion, unlikely) it'll probably be North Oconee, Mill Creek, or Oconee County.

Kennesaw State-SPSU:
1. Milton - This should be an interesting regional. Milton took 4th by a fair margin at Brookwood, so I think they're most likely to win.
2. Johns Creek - They were relatively close behind at Brookwood - although it appeared that Milton was a little less stacked, Johns Creek seems to have stronger builds, which should help them challenge for first place.
3. Westminster - Doesn't seem quite as strong as last year, and were a ways behind Milton and Johns Creek at Brookwood - not to mention their builds were weaker. I'm pretty certain no one else will beat them though.
4. Lambert - Several teams could take this spot. I think Lambert is the most likely, given their performance at Brookwood and tendency to split teams at invitationals - although last year's regionals results aren't promising. West Forsyth has a shot, and probably would have qualified last year had they not split teams - but the region was much less competitive at the time. Alpharetta likewise seems weaker this year.

Also I don't know how I missed that Richmond Hill was 12th at state last year - knowing that I probably would have predicted their regionals finish correctly.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

UGA results:

1. Duluth A (80)
2. South Forsyth A (97)
3. River Ridge A (120)
4. North Oconee A (166)
5. Oconee County (175)
6. Duluth B (188)
7. North Oconee B (204)
8. Fulton Science Academy (211)
9. South Forsyth B (214)
10. Mountain View A (247)

Very impressive showing by South Forsyth, even though Duluth seems to be a little weaker than in past years. I also underestimated River Ridge a bit (thought they would be more like ~140s).

I've heard SPSU results, but I'll let any Johns Creek people (if they're still around) share those.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BrS
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrS »

SPSU results

1. Johns Creek A (91)
2. Milton A (105)
3. Westminster A (123)
4. Alpharetta A(132)
5. Kennesaw Mountain A (169)
6. Johns Creek B (201)
7. West Forsyth A (203)
8. Lambert A (213)
9. Kennesaw Mountain B (245)
10. Milton B (247)

Results are final Monday at 3:30 p.m.
anagene

Macrh 3rd Regionals Georgia 2018

Post by anagene »

Any predictions for the last weekend of Regional Tournament in Georgia? I can't believe it's almost over - seems like it just started!
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
SciTeach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciTeach »

Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?
Unome

Post by Unome »

anagene wrote:Any predictions for the last weekend of Regional Tournament in Georgia? I can't believe it's almost over - seems like it just started!
:)

Georgia State University:
1. South Forsyth - Should win by a significant margin, even if they split like last year, especially after their strong performance at Chattahoochee.
2. Coleman - Probably the next most likely team to qualify, or at least the most successful at invitationals this year.
3. Campbell - Frequent state qualifier who typically finishes in the middle of the pack at state (besides the 6th place two years ago). Dodgen getting canceled due to snow makes predicting more difficult.
4. Radloff - I don't know much about most of these teams, I'm basically just guessing at this point - my justification for this being that Radloff has been to an invitational and is no longer a first-year team.

Northeast Georgia:
1. Oconee County - The probable winner based on their strong state results in recent years, but by no means certain.
2. Dickerson - Have been pretty strong at state, qualifying in 2015 after moving out of UNG-Gainesville.
3. Malcom Bridge - On the basis of recent state qualification.
4. Stephens County - Having decided to leave UNG-Gainesville, they should have a decent chance of qualifying. Might even be higher, except I'm not entirely sure how strong they are. Loganville could also contend for this spot.

Georgia Perimeter:
1. Northview - Despite a decline last year, invitational results from this year are promising - they finished strongly at Brookwood despite somewhat split teams (composite score puts them rather solidly ahead of Westminster). Assuming no one else suddenly gains a lot of strength, they should be able to win.
2. McIntosh - Should be a relatively easy win, being the 5th place team at state last year, though by a very small margin (as is typical for basically all but the top 4 teams in most years, with GA C State's low points cutoff).
3. Eagles Home Educators - Stronger classes from Div B are here by now, and they qualified last year handily. Other contenders include Forsyth Central and (maybe) Chamblee Charter.
SciTeach wrote:Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?
I haven't been able to find out anything regarding SGSC or Columbus State regionals so far.
Userpage

anagene

Post by anagene »

SciTeach wrote:Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?
The GA State website gets updated every Monday after Regional Tournament results are finalized. You can find them at https://www.gascioly.org/results.html
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Georgia State University results (top 4 qualify for state)
1. South Forsyth
2. Campbell
3. Coleman
4. Radloff
5. Monroe County
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Any results from NE GA RESA (B)?

GSU Clarkston Results:

1 McIntosh High School 71
2 Northview Team 78
3 Forsyth Central High School 128

4 Eagles Home Educators 131

Top 3 Schools qualify for the State Tournament
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Scoresheets from regionals just got posted to the state website, which is nice. Here's the gist of what's happening:

Coweta County B
1. Five Forks (103)
2. Rising Starr Black (109)
3. JC Booth (116)
4. East Cobb A (120)

5. Rising Starr Blue (127)
Very close competition. Even though they didn't win, this somewhat validates my predictions of Rising Starr's improvement.

Georgia Southern B
1. Richmond Hill (46)
2. Davidson Fine Arts (47)
3. Thomson (70)

Although Thomson isn't highlighted as qualifying on the state scoresheet, they are listed on the state website (and I already know for sure that there will be 28 teams at Div B State). The same applies at South Georgia State with Thomas County. I assume two qualifiers declined their bids, though I don't know who. Annoyingly, this prevents me from putting up the prediction contest poll right now, especially if one of the declining teams happens to be Eighth Street (since they have a good shot at top 10).

South Georgia State B
1. Eighth Street (51)
2. South Effingham (98)
3. Thomas County (100)

Stronger performance at regionals by Eighth Street this year (compared to a near-loss against Gatewood last year).

Columbus State B
1. Blackmon Road 2 (87)

2. Blackmon Road 1 (105)
3. Madras (106)
4. Bennett's Mill (113)

Very strong performance by Blackmon Road, and clearly I overestimated Bennett's Mill.

Northeast Georgia B
1. Dickerson A (99)
2. Malcom Bridge A (136)
3. Oconee County (140)
4. Henderson (166)

5. Loganville (173)
6. Dickerson B (194)
So... Oconee County not only lost, but finished in 3rd. Dickerson did surprisingly well - they have an argument for top 10 at state this year. I've never heard of Henderson before, but they did fairly well, beating out state qualifier Loganville to get the last bid.

Gordon State C
1. Northgate 1 (75)
2. Whitewater 1 (78)

3. Valwood 1 (104)
4. East Coweta 1 (122)
Impressive that Whitewater ended up just 3 points behind Northgate.

East Georgia State C
1. Lakeside 1 (57)

2. Lakeside 2 (81)
3. Augusta area Homeschoolers (88)
4. Southeast Bulloch 1 (140)
Very strong performance by Lakeside, they might be able to improve on last year's 10th place at state.

I can't put up a prediction poll until I know which teams declined their bids - once I find out, I'll post the link.
Userpage

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”