Georgia 2018

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome »

anagene wrote:Any predictions for the last weekend of Regional Tournament in Georgia? I can't believe it's almost over - seems like it just started!
:)

Georgia State University:
1. South Forsyth - Should win by a significant margin, even if they split like last year, especially after their strong performance at Chattahoochee.
2. Coleman - Probably the next most likely team to qualify, or at least the most successful at invitationals this year.
3. Campbell - Frequent state qualifier who typically finishes in the middle of the pack at state (besides the 6th place two years ago). Dodgen getting canceled due to snow makes predicting more difficult.
4. Radloff - I don't know much about most of these teams, I'm basically just guessing at this point - my justification for this being that Radloff has been to an invitational and is no longer a first-year team.

Northeast Georgia:
1. Oconee County - The probable winner based on their strong state results in recent years, but by no means certain.
2. Dickerson - Have been pretty strong at state, qualifying in 2015 after moving out of UNG-Gainesville.
3. Malcom Bridge - On the basis of recent state qualification.
4. Stephens County - Having decided to leave UNG-Gainesville, they should have a decent chance of qualifying. Might even be higher, except I'm not entirely sure how strong they are. Loganville could also contend for this spot.

Georgia Perimeter:
1. Northview - Despite a decline last year, invitational results from this year are promising - they finished strongly at Brookwood despite somewhat split teams (composite score puts them rather solidly ahead of Westminster). Assuming no one else suddenly gains a lot of strength, they should be able to win.
2. McIntosh - Should be a relatively easy win, being the 5th place team at state last year, though by a very small margin (as is typical for basically all but the top 4 teams in most years, with GA C State's low points cutoff).
3. Eagles Home Educators - Stronger classes from Div B are here by now, and they qualified last year handily. Other contenders include Forsyth Central and (maybe) Chamblee Charter.
SciTeach wrote:Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?
I haven't been able to find out anything regarding SGSC or Columbus State regionals so far.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
anagene

Post by anagene »

SciTeach wrote:Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?
The GA State website gets updated every Monday after Regional Tournament results are finalized. You can find them at https://www.gascioly.org/results.html
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Georgia State University results (top 4 qualify for state)
1. South Forsyth
2. Campbell
3. Coleman
4. Radloff
5. Monroe County
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Any results from NE GA RESA (B)?

GSU Clarkston Results:

1 McIntosh High School 71
2 Northview Team 78
3 Forsyth Central High School 128

4 Eagles Home Educators 131

Top 3 Schools qualify for the State Tournament
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Scoresheets from regionals just got posted to the state website, which is nice. Here's the gist of what's happening:

Coweta County B
1. Five Forks (103)
2. Rising Starr Black (109)
3. JC Booth (116)
4. East Cobb A (120)

5. Rising Starr Blue (127)
Very close competition. Even though they didn't win, this somewhat validates my predictions of Rising Starr's improvement.

Georgia Southern B
1. Richmond Hill (46)
2. Davidson Fine Arts (47)
3. Thomson (70)

Although Thomson isn't highlighted as qualifying on the state scoresheet, they are listed on the state website (and I already know for sure that there will be 28 teams at Div B State). The same applies at South Georgia State with Thomas County. I assume two qualifiers declined their bids, though I don't know who. Annoyingly, this prevents me from putting up the prediction contest poll right now, especially if one of the declining teams happens to be Eighth Street (since they have a good shot at top 10).

South Georgia State B
1. Eighth Street (51)
2. South Effingham (98)
3. Thomas County (100)

Stronger performance at regionals by Eighth Street this year (compared to a near-loss against Gatewood last year).

Columbus State B
1. Blackmon Road 2 (87)

2. Blackmon Road 1 (105)
3. Madras (106)
4. Bennett's Mill (113)

Very strong performance by Blackmon Road, and clearly I overestimated Bennett's Mill.

Northeast Georgia B
1. Dickerson A (99)
2. Malcom Bridge A (136)
3. Oconee County (140)
4. Henderson (166)

5. Loganville (173)
6. Dickerson B (194)
So... Oconee County not only lost, but finished in 3rd. Dickerson did surprisingly well - they have an argument for top 10 at state this year. I've never heard of Henderson before, but they did fairly well, beating out state qualifier Loganville to get the last bid.

Gordon State C
1. Northgate 1 (75)
2. Whitewater 1 (78)

3. Valwood 1 (104)
4. East Coweta 1 (122)
Impressive that Whitewater ended up just 3 points behind Northgate.

East Georgia State C
1. Lakeside 1 (57)

2. Lakeside 2 (81)
3. Augusta area Homeschoolers (88)
4. Southeast Bulloch 1 (140)
Very strong performance by Lakeside, they might be able to improve on last year's 10th place at state.

I can't put up a prediction poll until I know which teams declined their bids - once I find out, I'll post the link.
Userpage

SciTeach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciTeach »

South Effingham and Richmond Hill declined their slots
Unome

Post by Unome »

Prediction poll for Division B

Closes Friday at 6 PM. Since the two are farther apart this year, I'll put up the Div C link after Div B State.

I'll post the poll results occasionally (probably tomorrow, and then on Friday after closing it). I'm also going to normalize the polling scores on a 100-point scale to make it a bit easier to compare.

Poll rules
  • Entries that include one team twice will still be included it the running, but the second inclusion of the duplicated team will be replaced by the nearest team alphabetically that wasn't picked.
  • Entries that include one team thrice or more will be deleted
  • Entries that deviate wildly from the norm will be deemed as troll entries and deleted. (if yours is this, it should be obvious)
  • If two entries are submitted under one username, I will use the second one and delete the first. Feel free to submit a second entry if you weren't pleased with your first!
Scoring:
5 points if the school you picked places exactly where you picked them to place, 4 points for one off, 3 points for two off, etc. through 1 point for five off.

Also, for those of you who are new to predictions or don't know where to start, check out regional results and past state scoresheets.

I have my own predictions already decided, but will hold off on posting them until after the poll closes so as not to influence anyone too much :P
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach

Post by rfscoach »

Well Unome, it is that time of the year. The time that you post your Div B State picks and crush my heart by picking Dodgen over your former middle school and long time mentors.... Go ahead and do it, its okay. We're used to it.....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

rfscoach wrote:Well Unome, it is that time of the year. The time that you post your Div B State picks and crush my heart by picking Dodgen over your former middle school and long time mentors.... Go ahead and do it, its okay. We're used to it.....
I'm waiting until Friday since I don't want to influence anyone else :P

The one person who filled out the poll and said they don't have a username - make an account and PM me, else I can't count it. It's reflected in the polls below for now.

Current poll summary (6 votes)
1. Dodgen (98.3)
2. Fulton Science Academy (91.7)
3. Vickery Creek (71.7)
4. South Forsyth (65.0)
5. River Trail (36.7)
6. Eighth Street (31.7)
7. McCleskey (23.3)
8. Crews (21.7) (still tied on TB-1 total number of predictions; wins TB-2 on highest single prediction)
9. Taylor Road (21.7) (loses TB)
10. Rising Starr (16.7)
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach

Post by rfscoach »

Unome
I can't stay up all night waiting for your picks....

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”