Georgia 2018

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 9th, 2018, 7:04 pm

rfscoach wrote:Unome
I can't stay up all night waiting for your picks....
Sorry for the lateness,

1. Dodgen - There's very little reason to choose either Dodgen or FSA over the other - Dodgen won by two points at Bearden, FSA won by two points at Chattahoochee. Regionals scores are fairly similar once you account for differences in regional size and such, but a combination of Dodgen continuously winning state by small margins and their slightly more consistent regionals scores gives them the edge for me.
2. Fulton Science Academy - Of course I'll be rooting for FSA to finally take the top spot after coming close so many times. Although if Georgia gets two bids it might add some motivation at Nationals if they get second... :P
3. Vickery Creek - This was actually hard to decide this year. Vickery Creek has been comfortably in with Dodgen and FSA in recent years, but after losing their coach they don't seem to be quite as strong this year, finishing far behind the other two at Chattahoochee, and scoring around 120 at regionals, but they were still ahead of the nearest competitors by a solid margin. It's definitely possible for them to fall to 4th though.
4. South Forsyth - Has had a very impressive invitational season this year, finishing strongly at Chattahoochee and dominating their regional tournament, even more than I would have expected. They're nearly certain to be at least 5th.
5. River Trail - Weirdly split at regionals, which almost cost them their qualifying spot. But they were strong at Chattahoochee, and should be able to maintain their pace from previous years.
6. Taylor Road - I seem to been placing them higher than most other people. Finishing 9th and 10th at Chattahoochee is very impressive, and a regionals they did about as well as River Trail. They might get 5th, but I think that's less likely than one of the teams below jumping them.
7. Eighth Street - Quietly one of the stronger teams in the state, they did very well at regionals, better than last year, and are generally on the upswing. Hopefully this isn't temporary, it'd be nice to have a south Georgia team being strong.
8. Rising Starr - After falling over the last five years, Rising Starr quickly jumped back to being one of the top teams in the state - finishing two teams in the top five at regionals, and doing well at Chattahoochee. Despite not qualifying for state for the last three years, this definitely seems possible.
9. Crews - I still place them here despite relatively low finishes at Chattahoochee and regionals for their consistency. Being a Brookwood feeder doesn't hurt either :)
10. Campbell - With apologies to Dickerson and McCleskey, Campbell has hovered a little lower than this range for the past few years, and did rather well at regionals. But really, anything below 4th is pretty much a toss-up, and we could see another Chamblee finishing highly without anyone anticipating it.

Final Poll Results (8 votes):
1. Dodgen (98.8)
2. Fulton Science Academy (91.3)
3. Vickery Creek (62.5)
4. South Forsyth (58.8)
5. River Trail (42.5)
6. Eighth Street (32.5)
7. Crews (30.0)
8. Taylor Road (25.0)
9. Rising Starr (20.0)
10. McCleskey (17.5)


I may or may not have a live medal sheet, depending on how internet is (and if I have time to make it...).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3115
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 10th, 2018, 9:50 am

I just want Crews to get 7th so Georgia has their own S7reak™. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 10th, 2018, 10:18 am

Live medal sheet!
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I just want Crews to get 7th so Georgia has their own S7reak™. ;)
This would be so great...
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 13th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Georgia B State Results:
1. Dodgen (118)
2. Fulton Science Academy (143)
3. South Forsyth (152)
4. Taylor Road (211)
5. McCleskey (224)
6. Vickery Creek (248)
7. River Trail (273)
8. Campbell (279)
9. Dickerson (286)
10. Five Forks (291)
Full Results

Both of the top scores were unusually high - it's the first time Dodgen has been above 80 in several years. It's rather extraordinary that FSA managed to hang on to a Nationals bid despite finishing dead last in two events. Medaling in either of those would have landed them in first place overall. So, South Forsyth is not quite as good as they appear (though regardless, stronger than I had anticipated). Strong performances by Taylor Road and McCleskey, both second-year teams, ended up knocking Vickery Creek out of the team awards altogether. Crews and Eighth Street were 14th and 23rd respectively, rather far below predictions.

I'll have the Div C State prediction poll out soon, along with the B prediction results.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 593
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by rfscoach » March 13th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Unome wrote:Georgia B State Results:
1. Dodgen (118)
2. Fulton Science Academy (143)
3. South Forsyth (152)
4. Taylor Road (211)
5. McCleskey (224)
6. Vickery Creek (248)
7. River Trail (273)
8. Campbell (279)
9. Dickerson (286)
10. Five Forks (291)
Full Results

Both of the top scores were unusually high - it's the first time Dodgen has been above 80 in several years. It's rather extraordinary that FSA managed to hang on to a Nationals bid despite finishing dead last in two events. Medaling in either of those would have landed them in first place overall. So, South Forsyth is not quite as good as they appear (though regardless, stronger than I had anticipated). Strong performances by Taylor Road and McCleskey, both second-year teams, ended up knocking Vickery Creek out of the team awards altogether. Crews and Eighth Street were 14th and 23rd respectively, rather far below predictions.

I'll have the Div C State prediction poll out soon, along with the B prediction results.
So the question becomes - were the scores so high because the other state teams are getting stronger or are they high because both FSA and Dodgen are relatively weak this year?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 13th, 2018, 6:30 pm

rfscoach wrote:
Unome wrote:Georgia B State Results:
1. Dodgen (118)
2. Fulton Science Academy (143)
3. South Forsyth (152)
4. Taylor Road (211)
5. McCleskey (224)
6. Vickery Creek (248)
7. River Trail (273)
8. Campbell (279)
9. Dickerson (286)
10. Five Forks (291)
Full Results

Both of the top scores were unusually high - it's the first time Dodgen has been above 80 in several years. It's rather extraordinary that FSA managed to hang on to a Nationals bid despite finishing dead last in two events. Medaling in either of those would have landed them in first place overall. So, South Forsyth is not quite as good as they appear (though regardless, stronger than I had anticipated). Strong performances by Taylor Road and McCleskey, both second-year teams, ended up knocking Vickery Creek out of the team awards altogether. Crews and Eighth Street were 14th and 23rd respectively, rather far below predictions.

I'll have the Div C State prediction poll out soon, along with the B prediction results.
So the question becomes - were the scores so high because the other state teams are getting stronger or are they high because both FSA and Dodgen are relatively weak this year?
I think there's at least a little bit of the former, but I also think a good bit of it comes from the points cutoff and increased size (the former of which, for those uninitiated, would have put the scores at Dodgen - 105 and FSA - 113 at 2016 levels).

Dodgen's stronger events seem to be much the same as in the past, but they're bombing a little more than usual now, and had several less than stellar results in addition to their bombs. FSA seems substantially weaker at the top than, say, 2014-2015, but overall basically about as strong as last year.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 16th, 2018, 9:16 am

Prediction Poll for Division C State Tournament

Closes Friday, March 30th at 1 PM.

I'll post the poll results occasionally as the tournament approaches. I'm also going to normalize the polling scores on a 100-point scale to make it a bit easier to compare.

Poll rules
  • Entries that include one team twice will still be included it the running, but the second inclusion of the duplicated team will be replaced by the nearest team alphabetically that wasn't picked.
  • Entries that include one team thrice or more will be deleted
  • Entries that deviate wildly from the norm will be deemed as troll entries and deleted. (if yours is this, it should be obvious)
  • If two entries are submitted under one username, I will use the second one and delete the first. Feel free to submit a second entry if you weren't satisfied with your first.
Scoring:
5 points if the school you picked places exactly where you picked them to place, 4 points for one off, 3 points for two off, etc. through 1 point for five off.

Also, for those of you who are new to predictions or don't know where to start, check out regional results and past state scoresheets.



Division B Prediction Results:
1. Tailsfan101 (27)
2. Unome (27)
3. no username (26) - but I did find out who it was so I'm leaving it here
4. EastStroudsburg13 (26)
5. anagene (24)
6. potato (23)
7. JojoCho (23)
8. rfscoach (19)
With the winning score being as high as it was, effectively ties were broken by who put the largest number. Congratulations to Tailsfan!
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 19th, 2018, 7:33 am

Here are the poll standings as of now, with 5 votes so far:

1. Brookwood (100)
2. Chattahoochee (88)
3. GSMST (82)
4. Walton (46)
5. Johns Creek (42)
6. Northview (34)
7. McIntosh (32)
8. Duluth (30)
9. Milton (26)
10. South Forsyth (16) (still tied on total number of votes, wins tie on highest vote)

Other teams receiving votes: Alpharetta (16), Westminster (12), Lakeside (10), Parkview (10), Northgate (4), North Springs (2)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 759
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Tailsfan101 » March 19th, 2018, 11:17 am

(A little late) /me scratches head wondering how he won the prediction poll
2016-2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2021 possible events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters

Mini-Inv./Nebo/North JH
DD: 1/3/-
GLM: 1/1/-
DG: 1/1/-
PM: 1/2/1
WIDI: 2/-/-
Code: 2/-/-

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome » March 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Current poll standings (8 votes)

1. Brookwood - 100.00
2. Chattahoochee - 86.25
3. GSMST - 83.75
4. Johns Creek - 53.75
5. Walton - 51.30
6. Milton - 40.00
7. Northview - 33.75
8. McIntosh - 30.00
9. Duluth - 21.25
10. Westminster - 13.75

Other teams receiving votes: Parkview (11.25), Lakeside (7.50), Alpharetta (6.25), Forsyth Central (5.00), South Forsyth (2.50), Northgate (2.50), Wheeler (1.25)

States in less than a week... at this point I'm frantically trying to finish partially complete my Herps notes and marathoning A&P tests.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Locked

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests