Illinois 2018

JionPark
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2018

Post by JionPark »

kate! wrote:
JionPark wrote:So even if you're in J.V, you can still participate in states? :!:
If your team is unstacked, two teams can participate at states, but that isn't generally advised. Most schools bring one team and allow others to compete in trial events as alternates.
Oh. Fair Enough. Thanks kate! ;)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Different states have different rules about multiple teams at state.

In Illinois, JV teams can compete at regionals, but the competition for state bids is only between the varsity teams. At state, your school can bring 15 kids on the main team, who compete in the 23 real events, and can also bring a few alternates who can only compete in trial events.

So that's how you can take some JV kids to state (and you get medals for trial events.) Also, the kids on the team at state don't have to be the same kids who were on the varsity team at regionals - someone can be promoted from JV to V after regionals if they deserve it.
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

knightmoves wrote:Different states have different rules about multiple teams at state.

In Illinois, JV teams can compete at regionals, but the competition for state bids is only between the varsity teams. At state, your school can bring 15 kids on the main team, who compete in the 23 real events, and can also bring a few alternates who can only compete in trial events.

So that's how you can take some JV kids to state (and you get medals for trial events.) Also, the kids on the team at state don't have to be the same kids who were on the varsity team at regionals - someone can be promoted from JV to V after regionals if they deserve it.
Sweet. 8-)
And how do you know this?
Last edited by JionPark on April 29th, 2018, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

In Illinois, all teams are stacked and instead a Spirit team is brought. (At least I think?)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
JavaScriptCoder

Post by JavaScriptCoder »

TheChiScientist wrote:Rules are rules. Ce la vie :roll:
The correct French is C'est la vie :geek: (what you said is "This the life", and even if it was that, it would be cette la vie [syntax])
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

Does anyone know the trial events for next year?
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

JionPark wrote:Does anyone know the trial events for next year?
We won’t know until a few weeks before state next year or possible a month or two ahead.
Deleted
TheChiScientist
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

^ Yes. But trials can always be predicted. Geocaching next year? :lol:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
chrroh

Post by chrroh »

Correct, trial events can often be predicted because there is a pattern to them. A pattern with trials (at least in Illinois) is that they often replace actual events after their two year cycle ends. If we're talking about next season rn, chances are that there are going to be trial events next season at State that will be new events in the 2019-2020 season. So, if you want to maybe start preparing for trial events or get an idea of what the events may be, here's what I will say:

Geoaching - This has been a trial event every year for as long as I could remember, even before my first year in Science Olympiad. This being a trial event is a guarantee.
Ornithology - We're in new territory here, so I may get jinxed for this. Anyway, when there's a new animal science event, it has always been a trial event the previous season at state. For example: Invasive Species was a trial event in 2015, and then an actual event in 2016. Herpetology was a trial event in 2017, and then an actual event in 2018. Since Herpetology is entering it's second and final year, there's bound to be an animal science trial event. From what I know, Ornithology comes after Herpetology, so chances of this are pretty high.
Compound Machines - There's a certain genre of events, the ones where half of it is a physics test and the other have you have to make a physics device. These are always trial events in Illinois. Examples you may be familiar with are Wind Power and Thermodynamics (Thermo is more Chem than Physics from what I know, but it's in the same rotational group). These were both trial events in this rotating group of events. Compound Machines replaced Thermodynamics in 2014, and I think that's going to replace Thermodynamics after its second year in 2019.

Also, they sometimes have Trial events in competitive invitationals such as MIT and U of C. Trials from those invites have often become Trial Events at the State competition in Illinois (Example: Density was a Trial at U of C, and it was a trial this year at state).

So yea, hope this helps give an idea of what events may possibly be trial events next season for anyone who's interested.
2014 - 2018 Science Olympiad Alumni - Park View '14 | Niles West '18
Illinois State 2018 - 2nd Dynamic Planet | 3rd Experimental Design
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

chrroh wrote:Ornithology - We're in new territory here, so I may get jinxed for this. Anyway, when there's a new animal science event, it has always been a trial event the previous season at state. For example: Invasive Species was a trial event in 2015, and then an actual event in 2016. Herpetology was a trial event in 2017, and then an actual event in 2018. Since Herpetology is entering it's second and final year, there's bound to be an animal science trial event. From what I know, Ornithology comes after Herpetology, so chances of this are pretty high.
So, I don't live in Ohio but I feel like I should make this correction: the rotation in 2015 was Entomology-Ornithology-Forestry. Then in 2016, Invasive Species was added after being a trial event, (it hadn't existed before) making the rotation Ento-Invasives-Ornithology-Forestry. In 2018, Herpetology was also added without having existed before, (not counting Amphibians and Reptiles) making the rotation Ento-Invasives-Herp-Ornithology-Forestry. No state would take an event that already exists and make it into a trial. If you think there'll be a trial bio ID event, it'll probably be Parasitology, which was a trial in NY this year.
EDIT: Oof. I meant Illinois.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”