MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michigan 2018

Post by MIScioly1 »

misciencenerd wrote:Any predictions for state? :D
I'm betting Northville will take it all as usual, but second place could be anyone (Troy/Grand Haven/Pioneer?).
My bets are on Northville 1st, GH 2nd.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Tesel »

Based on what I see now (which might be wrong) here is what I see States looking like:

The favorites for nationals bids:
Grand Haven, Northville
Could potentially place top 2:
AA Pioneer, IA Central, Troy
Could place higher than some of the above teams, unlikely to place top 2:
DCDS, Stevenson, FHC, Canton
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
dcambrid

Post by dcambrid »

Tesel wrote:Based on what I see now (which might be wrong) here is what I see States looking like:

Grand Haven, Northville
I would tend to agree with you for the most part, except I would swap Grand Haven and Troy. Mostly because Troy (10th) was ahead of Grand Haven (13th) and IA Central (12th) at the Solon Invitational. Grand Haven is notorious for getting better between regionals and states though so who knows. I would also throw Saline into the last category.
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

what are the predictions for div b in states??????????? ;)
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Tesel »

dcambrid wrote:
Tesel wrote:Based on what I see now (which might be wrong) here is what I see States looking like:

Grand Haven, Northville
I would tend to agree with you for the most part, except I would swap Grand Haven and Troy. Mostly because Troy (10th) was ahead of Grand Haven (13th) and IA Central (12th) at the Solon Invitational. Grand Haven is notorious for getting better between regionals and states though so who knows. I would also throw Saline into the last category.
That was my thought with Grand Haven, that they did exceptionally well at regionals and still are likely to get better. I'd probably say that it's about a toss-up between GH and Troy, I just know more about GH. And you're correct, I was forgetting Saline. I'd guess based on past results that another Region 12 team will end up placing in the top 12, but no idea who it would be.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

dcambrid wrote:

Grand Haven, Northville
Yeah I wouldn’t judge Grand Haven based on an invitational. They don’t start practices until December, so Solon was basically one month after their scioly season started. As a result, they didn’t have a mission possible device - and their mission possibles have won nationals in the past.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by John Richardsim »

MIScioly1 wrote: Yeah I wouldn’t judge Grand Haven based on an invitational. They don’t start practices until December, so Solon was basically one month after their scioly season started. As a result, they didn’t have a mission possible device - and their mission possibles have won nationals in the past.
So wait, we shouldn't be judged on an invitational...but we should be judged on results from 2014 and before? Image
0ddrenaline

Post by 0ddrenaline »

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote: Yeah I wouldn’t judge Grand Haven based on an invitational. They don’t start practices until December, so Solon was basically one month after their scioly season started. As a result, they didn’t have a mission possible device - and their mission possibles have won nationals in the past.
So wait, we shouldn't be judged on an invitational...but we should be judged on results from 2014 and before? Image
Maybe comparing to previous results isn't right. But if you got top 6 in Mission at Solon, you would have been ninth place. Second among MI teams. Grand Haven placed 1st in Mission at regionals, where I know that the top 3 were quite good. I think MIScioly's main point was valid. We can't take Solon results at face value. However, Troy and other teams bombed in other events at Solon. I don't think we can make too many judgments from this invitational.
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

Has anyone here went to LCC regionals or Holt invitationals????????

Hiiiii :P :P

Our school failed invitationals so bad but we aced regionals!!!
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

Yeah, I think Northville will again. Mead mill middle school. I think they won 6 years in a row.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”