Texas 2018

phoenix2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2018

Post by phoenix2000 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
phoenix2000 wrote: kenniky is this not the process for all states?
The thing you should know is that Texas SO does quite a few things differently than any other state. ;)
I did not know that. I had always been under the impression that everything (except for state events, of course) would be the same across the nation. :(
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

phoenix2000 wrote:Does anyone have an estimated date of when the team numbers will be released for state?
They will come out some time between the last regional (March 24th) and April 1st.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
rafaelnadal
Division: C

Post by rafaelnadal »

Riptide wrote:
phoenix2000 wrote:Does anyone have an estimated date of when the team numbers will be released for state?
They will come out some time between the last regional (March 24th) and April 1st.
The fact that every other team has to wait 3-4 weeks for their team numbers is a bit annoying.
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
rafaelnadal

Post by rafaelnadal »

varunscs11 wrote:
rafaelnadal wrote:
I got 1st place at my regionals and I scored 187 on mine (I'm div C tho). But yeah state last year was terrible. I think I got around 154 and still got 2nd (i hate you clements)

My normal scores range from 180-195, extremely hard sets anywhere between 150-170 (which is a pretty big range, but)

EDIT: Actually, since you're div B and can't use certain stuff, this post is probably pretty useless.
Clements is just godly at WGYN and Science Word. :P
I want first place at state for once ;-;
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
cool hand luke
Division: B

Post by cool hand luke »

what other differences are there between states?

I've heard that other states allow more than one team from a regional to advance to states. Don't know if that's true.
Fridaychimp

Post by Fridaychimp »

cool hand luke wrote:what other differences are there between states?

I've heard that other states allow more than one team from a regional to advance to states. Don't know if that's true.
That's not just other states. As far as I know, every regional in Texas advances at least 2 teams to state, and quite a few send 3.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ah, I could write an essay about this... actually I think I might make a post about it in General Chat tomorrow...

Some states allow this - Florida, Washington, and Colorado come to mind.
Fridaychimp wrote:

That's not just other states. As far as I know, every regional in Texas advances at least 2 teams to state, and quite a few send 3.
He was talking about multiple teams from the same school advancing. Also, 2-3 per regional is a fairly small number as compared to similar-sized states - Texas has ten (?) regionals, which is more than any state other than Michigan, North Carolina, and New York (assuming one counts SoCal and NorCal separately here).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:

Ah, I could write an essay about this... actually I think I might make a post about it in General Chat tomorrow...

Some states allow this - Florida, Washington, and Colorado come to mind.
Fridaychimp wrote:

He was talking about multiple teams from the same school advancing. Also, 2-3 per regional is a fairly small number as compared to similar-sized states - Texas has ten (?) regionals, which is more than any state other than Michigan, North Carolina, and New York (assuming one counts SoCal and NorCal separately here).
Indiana has 7 regionals and the amount of teams each regional sends depends on the size of the regional. I was a tournament executive for Purdue WL's regional, and we sent 7 teams in C and 5 teams in B to State, but only one team per school in our state (bc I hear that some states allow multiple teams per school). I believe Butler's regional sends even more teams to State in Indiana bc they have one of the most competitive regionals in the state (both Bloomingtons and Carmel go to that one)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
cool hand luke
Division: B

Post by cool hand luke »

In an old thread I just found Chalker said that most states competitions have 40-50 teams, anyone know why texas, one of the bigger states takes only 30?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cool hand luke wrote:In an old thread I just found Chalker said that most states competitions have 40-50 teams, anyone know why texas, one of the bigger states takes only 30?
It's not quite true that most state competitions have 40-50, although 30 is definitely on the smaller side. Georgia is 28 B/24 C right now, and has been under 30 for nearly a decade, but we're probably the smallest state tournament of the larger states. I would estimate the mean size of state competitions nationwide at around 35-40 - several smaller states with no regionals vary in size from very small (10-20) to rather huge (Delaware has around 60).

As for why, probably a combination of host capacity limitations/costs and inertia.
Userpage

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”